where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
DP/Pitting indication
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Lizard NDE Ltd
Lizard NDE Ltd- Home of the Lizard FGI electro-magnetic array technology

07:39 Apr-17-2009
shakutty
DP/Pitting indication

Hi,
Is there any limit on pitting while inspecting (DPI) service drilling tools (especially on thread?). Indication is not strong bleeding one (just reddish one comparing with other developed area). If any one is ready to help me contact my mail Id

shakutty
nilson_nick@yahoo.co.in

09:19 Apr-17-2009
gary
Re: DP/Pitting indication In Reply to shakutty at 07:39 Apr-17-2009 (Opening).

Hi
If the threaded connection in question is to be tested under DS1/NS2 spec then fluorescent MPI Inspection is the reccomended test method, under the same spec it also gives accept/ reject criteria for thread pitting.

08:49 Apr-18-2009
Andreas
Re: DP/Pitting indication In Reply to gary at 09:19 Apr-17-2009 .

Service drilling tools ,can benon magnetic like all tools for making deviated wells.I think DPI stands for dye penetrant inspection , so you inspection on a non magnetic tool.Therefore fellow the direction of the manufacturer of the tools and all the other as mention before.
Also the profile of threads need to be checked.Normally this kind of inspection performed by companies specilized in inspection of oilfield equipment.

Regards
Andreas

11:25 Feb-05-2015

David Baeley

Engineering,
Australia,
Joined Dec 2014

Drilling tools used with drilling pipes connections.

00:02 Feb-10-2015

Brett Davis

Sales, Sales, Applications, Training, Services, NDT, Pipeline
PTC & DavisBrett LP,
USA,
Joined Oct 2012

Eddy current is another form of evaluating these tools. I would need to have more information but it is definitely a quick inspection without the need for black lights. Give me a call and we can discuss more.

Brett Davis
832-248-2502 mobile
281-339-9993 office

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|