where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
mjafari
mjafari
19:24 Apr-29-2009
UT Scans

What does A, B, and C stands for in UT scans?
Does A stands for Analog or Amplitude?

TomNelligan
Engineering,
retired, USA, Joined Nov 1998, 390

TomNelligan

Engineering,
retired,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
23:01 Apr-29-2009
Re: UT Scans
In Reply to mjafari at 19:24 Apr-29-2009 (Opening).

A-scan = RF or rectified waveform
B-scan = profile view
C-scan = planar view (like an x-ray)

You might want to check the "Imaging Basics" section of our phased array tutorial for some examples of each. See http://www.olympus-ims.com/en/ndt-tutorials/phased-array/

I'm not certain of the historical derivation of A-scan -- the term was in use long before I started working with ultrasonics thirty years ago -- but I suspect that "amplitude scan" was informally abbreviated into A-scan, and then B-scan and C-scan followed in sequence as those plotting methods were developed. But there may be an NDT historian here who will correct me!

Ed Ginzel
R & D, -
Materials Research Institute, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 1282

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
23:45 Apr-29-2009
In Reply to TomNelligan at 23:01 Apr-29-2009 .

Tom...I am not much longer in the industry than you but these terms were old even when I started. The terminology was already seen in the 1959 NDT Handbook by McMaster.

As for a description of the "scans" (imaging) these are well described in out NDT.net Encyclopaedia (the link is NDT by A - Z on the introduction page of this website).

S.V.Swamy
Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex , India, Joined Feb 2001, 787

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
04:32 Apr-30-2009
In Reply to Ed Ginzel at 23:45 Apr-29-2009 .

I thought the A- of A-scan was because of the amplitude (the y - axis). Now, it looks as if A stands for the first scan developed. B and C scans came first in the medical field if I am not mistaken.

The A, B and C of the UT scans are like the alpha, beta and gamma rays of radioactivity, the first is alpha, the second is beta and the next gamma. Something unknown is the x-factor.

I would like some other veterans and researchers to dig into the history and throw more light.

Regards.

Swamy

mjafari
mjafari
10:07 Apr-30-2009
In Reply to mjafari at 19:24 Apr-29-2009 (Opening).

Some say A is for Amplitude or Analog B is for brigthness and C is the next letter that was chosen.

Dave Lines
R & D,
Diagnostic Sonar Ltd, United Kingdom, Joined Nov 1998, 8

Dave Lines

R & D,
Diagnostic Sonar Ltd,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 1998
11:06 Apr-30-2009
In Reply to mjafari at 10:07 Apr-30-2009 .

As a medical user, we'd understood that it was A=Amplitude, B=Brightness as adopted from the radar terminology - using their alternative term of brightness instead of PPI (plan position indicator).

Early medical was a follow-on from NDT ( see http://www.bmus.org/about-ultrasound/au-history.asp ) so I expect that the term A-scan was as likely to have come from NDT as from radar.

Dave

Product Spotlight

OmniScan™ X3 flaw detector

The OmniScan X3 flaw detector is a complete phased array toolbox. Powerful tools, like total focus
ing method (TFM) images and advanced visualization capabilities, enable you to complete your inspection with greater confidence.
>

GUL QSR1® Scanning

How do you measure pipe wall thickness without direct access to the area? QSR® Scanning - Guide Wav
e Quantitative Short Range Scanning.
>

NEOS III

NEOS III is Logos Imagings lightest DR system. With a built-in battery and internal wireless commu
nication, the NEOS III is perfect for users that want to quickly assess an item.
>

GEKKO - Portable Phased Array Testing with TFM in Real-Time

The portable phased array testing system GEKKO provides 64 parallel test channels. On creating testi
ng parameters the operator is assisted by the CIVA software. Due to its modular set-up the GEKKO instrument is suitable for operators of all skill levels.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window