where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
UT Scans
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

NT - Nove technologie s.r.o.
Ultrasonic gel for NDT application. Various types of ultrasonic agents. Starsonic SS2, SS3

19:24 Apr-29-2009
mjafari
UT Scans

What does A, B, and C stands for in UT scans?
Does A stands for Analog or Amplitude?

23:01 Apr-29-2009

TomNelligan

Engineering,
retired,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: UT Scans In Reply to mjafari at 19:24 Apr-29-2009 (Opening).

A-scan = RF or rectified waveform
B-scan = profile view
C-scan = planar view (like an x-ray)

You might want to check the "Imaging Basics" section of our phased array tutorial for some examples of each. See http://www.olympus-ims.com/en/ndt-tutorials/phased-array/

I'm not certain of the historical derivation of A-scan -- the term was in use long before I started working with ultrasonics thirty years ago -- but I suspect that "amplitude scan" was informally abbreviated into A-scan, and then B-scan and C-scan followed in sequence as those plotting methods were developed. But there may be an NDT historian here who will correct me!

23:45 Apr-29-2009

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: UT Scans In Reply to TomNelligan at 23:01 Apr-29-2009 .

Tom...I am not much longer in the industry than you but these terms were old even when I started. The terminology was already seen in the 1959 NDT Handbook by McMaster.

As for a description of the "scans" (imaging) these are well described in out NDT.net Encyclopaedia (the link is NDT by A - Z on the introduction page of this website).

04:32 Apr-30-2009

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
Re: UT Scans In Reply to Ed Ginzel at 23:45 Apr-29-2009 .

I thought the A- of A-scan was because of the amplitude (the y - axis). Now, it looks as if A stands for the first scan developed. B and C scans came first in the medical field if I am not mistaken.

The A, B and C of the UT scans are like the alpha, beta and gamma rays of radioactivity, the first is alpha, the second is beta and the next gamma. Something unknown is the x-factor.

I would like some other veterans and researchers to dig into the history and throw more light.

Regards.

Swamy

10:07 Apr-30-2009
mjafari
Re: UT Scans In Reply to mjafari at 19:24 Apr-29-2009 (Opening).

Some say A is for Amplitude or Analog B is for brigthness and C is the next letter that was chosen.

11:06 Apr-30-2009

Dave Lines

R & D,
Diagnostic Sonar Ltd,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: UT Scans In Reply to mjafari at 10:07 Apr-30-2009 .

As a medical user, we'd understood that it was A=Amplitude, B=Brightness as adopted from the radar terminology - using their alternative term of brightness instead of PPI (plan position indicator).

Early medical was a follow-on from NDT ( see http://www.bmus.org/about-ultrasound/au-history.asp ) so I expect that the term A-scan was as likely to have come from NDT as from radar.

Dave

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|