where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
dragging ayoke
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

IMASONIC SAS
IMASONIC offers custom solutions for single to serial productions of ultrasonic transducers for NDT including phased array.

14:40 May-07-2009
emead
dragging ayoke

is it writen somewhere that dragging a yoke shall not be done

16:07 May-07-2009

Gowrisanthosh

NDT Inspector,
Royscan engineering pte ltd,
Singapore,
Joined May 2008
Re: dragging ayoke In Reply to emead at 14:40 May-07-2009 (Opening).

'dragging a yoke' the sentence used in method of ' demagnetization'. Dragging the AC yoke slowly to demagnetize on the surface where you want to demagnetize. hope you help this.
regards, gowri

05:20 May-08-2009
emil shavakis
Re: dragging ayoke In Reply to Gowrisanthosh at 16:07 May-07-2009 .

Yoke dragging is not specifically prohibited in ASME Section V. Neither is yoke flipping. Yoke oscillating is also not prohibited. Rather, I suspect that the continuous method IS prescribed. Dragging, flipping and oscillating, when properly qualified may be acceptable.

07:40 May-08-2009
Ed T.
Re: dragging ayoke In Reply to emil shavakis at 05:20 May-08-2009 .

I gree with Emil. If proprly qualified it may be used, but why would you want to drag the yoke? What is the purpose?

09:02 May-08-2009

Nick Welland

Other, Quality and NDT
Aben Technical Services,
Australia,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: dragging ayoke In Reply to Ed T. at 07:40 May-08-2009 .

Dragging and tipping the yoke are sometimes seen where the Level III is not exercising sufficient control. Usually it comes from those who have been allowed to develop a "my way" attitude and have not considered the consequences of these departures from established technique. Sometimes it comes from a desired to speed up the testing process.

When applied in a controlled fashion, with strictly controlled parameters, I agree the use of moving poles could be a viable method.
I do not however agree with dragging or tipping in standard hand-held applications due to the lack of control over variables.
Yokes have articulated poles for a purpose, folks.

Regards
Nick

09:12 May-08-2009

Sibusiso Mzila

Engineering, Pipeline integrity
Transnet SOC Limited,
South Africa,
Joined May 2004

It may not be written as such but it is required that the poles have max contact with the test piece: at correct magnetising force and max contact you will never drag a yoke. Furthermore if one dragged a yoke on the test piece, damage may result. Yes, DO NOT DRAG A YOKE.

13:36 May-08-2009

Dent

Consultant, NDE Manager NDELevel III/3
NDT Consultant,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998

It is written in the book of common sense!

There is a reason that most specs use words like: "yoke calibration is performed by lifting a 10 pound (or 40 pound for DC) weight at the maximum pole spacing to be used."

There is no way you could lift these weights while dragging.
These words imply that you use the same technique when testing as you did when calibrating.
This is an ethics issue!

There will be no dragging on my watch!

01:57 May-09-2009

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
Re: dragging ayoke In Reply to Dent at 13:36 May-08-2009 .

Well Dent, common sense is something that I've seen many people lacking.

Besides that, dragging the yoke, as far as I'm concern, my customer would be a little ticked off if I was dragging my yoke on a part with a 125 RMS surface finish!!!

We're NDT technicians ie. somehow part of a Quality system folks...

05:40 May-11-2009
Ed T.
Re: dragging ayoke In Reply to Michel Couture at 01:57 May-09-2009 .

Thank you for clarifying that everyone. I have ben doing MPI for a long time and have never head of dragging a yoke. Thought I missed something.

I know as a Level III I would not permit it. No reason for it. Can't qualify it. Can't do a 10ib. lift while dragging a yoke.

16:34 May-14-2009

emead

NDT Inspector
USA,
Joined Oct 2008
Re: dragging ayoke In Reply to Ed T. at 05:40 May-11-2009 .

I asked this question cause I was told I didn't know what i was doing when I told a co-work that you can't do that plus it made nosense to do that anyway, cause it doesn't speed up the inspection and could lead to false indications and damage the surface, his respones was I've been doing this for 28 years. Me only 7 years. Thank you for your respones to this question, it will help me defend my education and training.

17:26 May-14-2009

Joe Buckley

Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: dragging ayoke In Reply to emead at 16:34 May-14-2009 .

It may be easier to wait for him to retire....

20:57 May-14-2009

Dent

Consultant, NDE Manager NDELevel III/3
NDT Consultant,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998

Now you have a matter of ethics to deal with. We all know it is wrong. You know who it is. What are you obligated to do about it?

Read the latest Materials Evaluation letter from the President. All about NDT ethics.

We all should take note.

01:27 May-15-2009

Nick Welland

Other, Quality and NDT
Aben Technical Services,
Australia,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: dragging ayoke In Reply to Dent at 20:57 May-14-2009 .

Ethically, yoke tipping and dragging are up there with "lazy W" scanning, calibrating eg. for 25mm range when checking 6mm plate, and penetrameter fraud.

If the individual has not been properly instructed, it comes back to my previous post: the Level 3 is not providing proper control.

If the individual continues to use defective technique after being properly instructed, he should seek another line of work and not bring us all into disrepute.

02:12 May-15-2009

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
Re: dragging ayoke In Reply to Nick Welland at 01:27 May-15-2009 .

Gentlemen,

You are bringing up a topic that is very close to my heart. I've said many times to who wanted to listen that there are two kind of people. The ones who makes mistake for lack of knowledge. I guess we're all guilty of this to a dgree, since we can't know it all. With this kind of people, instruction (teaching) will solve the problem and you end up with a good technician. The second kind is the one who thinks they know it all. These ones, you can't do nothing with and contrary to what you wish for Nick, they're not smart enough to know any better.

As for your point regarding ethics Dent, in theory this is all fine, but reality is a different matter. Many companies out there don't care about what is going on. The "boss" sit in his office and want the job done. Very often the good technicians are hassle because it does take time to do a good job compare to those who like to take short cuts. And when the S... hit the fan, he can invoke ignorance of the problem and the technician is the one left holding the bag. As for "Reporting to PROPER Authority", well something may be done about it, but at the end of the day, they always find out who blew the whistle and in the end no one like a whistle blower. So that person although he wanted to ensure our profession kept a high standard is basically force to accept work in another profession.

Its kind of sad, but it likes being caught between a rock and a hard place.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|