where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Career Discussions
Hobart Huson
Hobart Huson
13:38 May-12-2009
Need a Standard Procedure for NDE of Welds

My company has to submit a standard procedure/protocol for the inspection of welds via VT, MT etc. This is proving very difficult to find. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would very much appreciate it.

tj
tj
20:07 May-12-2009
Re: Need a Standard Procedure for NDE of Welds
In Reply to Hobart Huson at 13:38 May-12-2009 (Opening).

Is the work to be done to a known standard or specification. If so, which is it?

Michel Couture
NDT Inspector,
consultant, Canada, Joined Sep 2006, 854

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
23:22 May-12-2009
In Reply to tj at 20:07 May-12-2009 .

Hobart,

It all depends on where is this weld located or part of what! I mean, if the weld is on a pressure vessel, than the ASME Code should be the guiding criteria. Otherwise, you may use AWS D1.1 standard (American Welding Society) and if the weld is on a pressure pipe, I do believe that B31.1 should apply.

ndestruck
ndestruck
01:26 May-13-2009

You only need to mention the specification in the standard procedure you already have
( i mean if you are an inspection company you should have a procedure for all your inspection when you started your company)
needed for a particular inspection.
If the client/operator does not specify the particular standard you can write down various standards like MIL;API; ASME;AWS D1.1;etc.
(by the way AWS does not give you a procedure on how to carry out Magnetic Particle Testing it will refer you to ASTM)
in a section in your procedure, so that whatever you are inspecting wether its a pipeline or structural weld it will be applicable to both and you dont have to write another one.

There maybe some additional information or changes required for various standards used.

John Champion
Other, UT/AUT Scanner Technician
International Union of Operating Engineers; (NDT) Local #112 , USA, Joined Apr 2009, 16

John Champion

Other, UT/AUT Scanner Technician
International Union of Operating Engineers; (NDT) Local #112 ,
USA,
Joined Apr 2009
09:20 May-13-2009

Mr. Hudson,
I'm not sure if this is pertainent to your search, but I believe API (American Petroleum Institute) : API 1104 20th ed. primarily deals with the welding codes and somewhat limited Ultrasonic testing, however I dont recall much in the way of other procedures.

emil shavakis
emil shavakis
13:35 May-13-2009
In Reply to John Champion at 09:20 May-13-2009 .

The reason people ask for a procedure up front is to ensure their vendor or service provider is capable of ensuring NDT (or other special processes) will be properly addressed. Throwing together a document without an in depth understanding of what is going on is not a good idea. Perhaps the answer is to not rely on a Forum of well-intended persons. Perhaps it would be best to hire or contract with a local professional to get your NDT affairs in order - it is bigger than just a procedure. You must go all the way back to the purchase documents to understand the subtleties of Code and Standards as well as the implications on performer qualifications, equipment, consumables, procedure qualification, acceptance and reporting. To be blunt, the question belies a fundamental problem - seek professional help.

Ed T.
Ed T.
06:59 May-14-2009
In Reply to emil shavakis at 13:35 May-13-2009 .

If you are going to get into the NDT business you probably should hire a Level III to prepare your NDT program and procedures..That is the normal protocol.

John O'Brien
Consultant, -
Chevron ETC , USA, Joined Jan 2000, 280

John O'Brien

Consultant, -
Chevron ETC ,
USA,
Joined Jan 2000
13:34 May-14-2009
In Reply to Ed T. at 06:59 May-14-2009 .

Much of the advice you have received is spot on - you need to determine what the object of the exercise is. I see many procedure submissions poorly assembled and obviously constructed with no idea of what we as the end customer are seeking. It very often results in an immediate downrating of a company's perceived abilities.
Get a level III involved , have him look at the contractual requirements, identify the referencing docuemnts and then write a procedure that fits the requirements. Remembe rthe more complex a procedures or addressing things not required for your application can lead to propblems during performance and audit of NDE activities. Follow good QA principles get it right first time.

anjafo
NDT Inspector
Norway, Joined Aug 2009, 204

anjafo

NDT Inspector
Norway,
Joined Aug 2009
23:32 Aug-12-2009
In Reply to John O'Brien at 13:34 May-14-2009 .

Im guessing the guy was doing the welding?

Probably best to contact your closest NDT provider as they will probably be doing the testing anyway?

Product Spotlight

GEKKO - Portable Phased Array Testing with TFM in Real-Time

The portable phased array testing system GEKKO provides 64 parallel test channels. On creating testi
ng parameters the operator is assisted by the CIVA software. Due to its modular set-up the GEKKO instrument is suitable for operators of all skill levels.
>

iProbe - USB Phased Array Probe

Turn your PC, Laptop or Tablet into a powerful 32:64 Phased Array system with our USB powered Phas
ed Array iProbe and inspection software package. Perform affordable weld inspection and corrosion mapping inspections with this powerful but small system. The probe has a 100V pulser, 8K PRF, dual axis encoder input and achieves outstanding signal quality.
>

Varex Imaging Large Field of View (FOV) Digital Detector Arrays (DDAs)

A larger FOV DDA can reduce the space and volume of the X-ray inspection system on the factory floor
, enable faster scanning times, better throughput and better resolution images at a lower dose. Customers can also save time and money. With these benefits in mind, Varex Imaging has designed a family of large FOV detectors (4343HE, XRD 1611, 4343DX-I, 4343CT) for our industrial imaging customers.
>

FMC/TFM

Next generation for Phased Array UT is here now with FMC/TFM! Have higher resolution imaging, impr
oved signal to noise ratio, characterize, size and analyze defects better with access to several wave mode views and save raw FMC data for higher quality analysis.  Some of the benefits are:
  • Beautiful Image! Easier to understand what you're looking at
  • Completely focused in entire image or volume
  • Much easier to define setups before inspection
  • Easier to decipher geometry echoes from real defects
  • Oriented defects (e.g. cracks) are imaged better
  • See image from different wave modes from one FMC inspection
  • FMC data can be reprocessed/analyzed without going back to the field
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window