where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

ZETEC, Inc.
Zetec is a global leader in nondestructive testing (NDT) solutions for the critical inspection needs of industries the world counts on every day, ...

Technical Discussions
John Galt
John Galt
05:26 May-28-2009
MPI swing fields

Could someone please explain to me what a "swing field" is and how it relates to magnetic particle inspection?

I'm doing my MPI level 2 exam next month and someone told me this subject was on their written portion (CGSB exam).

I'm having trouble finding the info in my text books and online so any explanation or links to online info would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Rolf Diederichs
Director,
NDT.net, Germany, Joined Nov 1998, 605

Rolf Diederichs

Director,
NDT.net,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
08:25 May-28-2009
Re: MPI swing fields
In Reply to John Galt at 05:26 May-28-2009 (Opening).

In NDT A-Z is written:

http://www.ndt.net/ndtaz/ndtaz.php?id=611
Swinging Field Magnetization
Related Entries: Multi-Directional Magnetization,

Description:
Special equipment allows two or more currents in different directions to be applied simultaneously. This permits locating discontinuities in more than one direction and shortens inspection time.

Edward Ginzel created: 1999-12-11

Robert J. Nitka
Robert J. Nitka
05:33 Dec-08-2014

In reply to John Galt

There's a great paper on this subject that can be found at
www.insight-ndt.com/papers/technical/t002.pdf. One note, the author often refers the swing field changing vector direction 50 times/sec. In the US, this would be 60 times/sec.

langtuteng
Armenia, Joined Nov 2014, 158

langtuteng

Armenia,
Joined Nov 2014
12:51 Dec-09-2014

normally, we use two kinds of current simultaneously, one is AC and the other is DC. we use AC to generate the direction of the magnetic field which is changing all the time. thus, the swing field forms.

Product Spotlight

Navic - Steerable Modular Automated Scanner

The Navic is a modular, motorized, steerable scanner designed to carry multiple attachments used
in various scanning and inspection applications. The Navic is capable of weld scanning (girth welds and long seam welds), automated corrosion mapping, and tank scanning.
>

IRIS 9000Plus - Introducing the next generation of heat exchanger inspection.

Representing the seventh generation of the IRIS system, the IRIS 9000 Plus has nearly 200 years of c
ombined field inspection experience incorporated in its design. This experience combined with a strong commitment to quality and a history of innovation has made Iris Inspection Services® the undisputed leader in IRIS technology.
>

SITEX CPSERIES

Teledyne ICM’s CPSERIES has been designed with a view to revolutionizing the handling and perfor
mances of portable X-Ray sets. Despite having managed to halve the weight of similar portable X-Ray generators available on the market (while continuing to provide the same power output), the SITEX CPSERIES generators feature a shutter, a laser pointer, a beryllium window, an aluminum filter and two integrated diaphragms (customized sizes are available upon request). Without compromising the robustness and reliability for which ICM products are renowned, the small size and light weight of the SITEX CPSERIES will radically change the way that you perform your RT inspections. And you will see a positive impact in terms of both quality and return on investment (ROI).
>

Swift & Scorpion2 - a state-of-the-art remote-control ultrasonic crawler

The Swift and Scorpion2 dry-coupled, remote-access ultrasonic crawler bring major efficiency and d
ata improvements to tank shell inspections and other structures such as vessels and offshore installations.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window