where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
John Galt
John Galt
05:26 May-28-2009
MPI swing fields

Could someone please explain to me what a "swing field" is and how it relates to magnetic particle inspection?

I'm doing my MPI level 2 exam next month and someone told me this subject was on their written portion (CGSB exam).

I'm having trouble finding the info in my text books and online so any explanation or links to online info would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Rolf Diederichs
Director,
NDT.net, Germany, Joined Nov 1998, 608

Rolf Diederichs

Director,
NDT.net,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
08:25 May-28-2009
Re: MPI swing fields
In Reply to John Galt at 05:26 May-28-2009 (Opening).

In NDT A-Z is written:

http://www.ndt.net/ndtaz/ndtaz.php?id=611
Swinging Field Magnetization
Related Entries: Multi-Directional Magnetization,

Description:
Special equipment allows two or more currents in different directions to be applied simultaneously. This permits locating discontinuities in more than one direction and shortens inspection time.

Edward Ginzel created: 1999-12-11

Robert J. Nitka
Robert J. Nitka
05:33 Dec-08-2014

In reply to John Galt

There's a great paper on this subject that can be found at
www.insight-ndt.com/papers/technical/t002.pdf. One note, the author often refers the swing field changing vector direction 50 times/sec. In the US, this would be 60 times/sec.

langtuteng
Armenia, Joined Nov 2014, 166

langtuteng

Armenia,
Joined Nov 2014
12:51 Dec-09-2014

normally, we use two kinds of current simultaneously, one is AC and the other is DC. we use AC to generate the direction of the magnetic field which is changing all the time. thus, the swing field forms.

Product Spotlight

NovaScope 6000

The all-digital Novascope 6000 is a portable, ultra-high precision thickness gauge for high-speed
thickness measurement. Novascope 6000 has unmatched capabilities and unique features including: •Superior Resolution with high contrast, high-speed color RF display •High pulser voltage •Real-time video output •Increased internal/external data storage •Programmable SetUp features •Battery & AC Powered
>

NDTkit RT

NDTkit RT, TESTIA's Digital Radiography software The NDTkit product line software for X-ray analysi
s. NDTkit RT is a software benefiting from the Ultis kernel which is dedicated to radiographic image analysis. It offers a set of tools and filtering processes to assist RT operators in finding relevant flaws.
>

UCI Hardness Tester NOVOTEST T-U2

UCI hardness tester NOVOTEST T-U2 is is used for non-destructive hardness testing of: metals and
alloys by scales of hardness: Rockwell (HRC), Brinell (HB), Vickers (HV); non-ferrous metals, alloys of iron etc., and using five additional scales for calibration; with tensile strength (Rm) scale determines the tensile strength of carbon steel pearlitic products by automatic recalculation from Brinell (HB) hardness scale.
>

TOPAZ® 64: Fully Integrated Portable 64 Channel PAUT Instrument with FMC & TFM

Introducing TOPAZ64, the industry’s most intelligent fully integrated, portable 64-channel phased
array ultrasound (UT) instrument. TOPAZ64 combines code-compliant phased array UT with the industry’s most advanced full matrix capture (FMC) and total focusing method (TFM) capabilities. Featuring the highest acquisition frequency in its class, high resolution FMC and a 12” multi-touchscreen, users can easily visualize even the smallest flaws. TOPAZ64 can generate a bipolar pulse that provides more acoustic energy versus previous models for punching through thick components. The result is a portable tool that delivers increased inspection coverage, more accurate signals, and the ability to handle all UT inspections in one package. TOPAZ64 is ideal for challenging applications in transportation, oil and gas, manufacturing and power generation.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window