where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

AT-Automation Technology GmbH
AT -Automation Technology is a systems house for industrial image processing. AT offers thermographic ndt systems as well as high-speed 3D sensors.

Career Discussions
kusnadie
kusnadie
11:24 Jun-01-2009
EMI Flaw Report

Dear all,

Can anyone explain me about elecromagnetic inspection

When i calibrate EMI unit for inspecting seamless pipe with 10% notches both ID & OD
for longitudinal & transverse orientations, all peak signals approxcimate 50% FSH.Thus running for inspection, the unit catch 21% fsh on the chart but i interested to evaluate the indication. During evaluation proven that indication from OD Pitting with depth 12% of nominal thickness. My question are:

~Why indication appears on ID?
~Why indication of OD pitting less than Notches, whereas deeper than ??

Regards
Kusnadie

Andreas
Andreas
22:42 Jun-02-2009
Re: EMI Flaw Report
In Reply to kusnadie at 11:24 Jun-01-2009 (Opening).

Hallo ,
it looks like you operating a four function emi unit.
Separation of flaw for od or id location is based on some unit about the frequence of the flaw signal, but does not worked everytime correctly.
Anyway round bottom pitting on the external surface hardly produce a fluxleakage.Normally you see that better on the longitudinal system.
For used pipe normally a 1/16" drilled through hole is used.You did not mention what kind of pipe or which spec you used.
A notch produce is higher flux leakage and therefor mechical defects like couges ,cut etc will overn evaluted and pitting under estimated.
A good indication is the frequency of your flaw indication.

Regards

Andreas

S.Senthilkumar
Engineering, QA/QC/NDT
NOV (National Oilwell Varco), Angola, Joined Mar 2006, 41

S.Senthilkumar

Engineering, QA/QC/NDT
NOV (National Oilwell Varco),
Angola,
Joined Mar 2006
22:01 Jun-03-2009
In Reply to Andreas at 22:42 Jun-02-2009 .

As Andreas,
I am using 1/16" hole in a pipe helically which give the signal pefectly in pipes. 6 to 8 holes which gives the reference signals.

Regards,
S.Senthilkumar

Kusnadie
Kusnadie
15:30 Jun-04-2009
In Reply to S.Senthilkumar at 22:01 Jun-03-2009 .

Hi Andreas,

Kind of pipe is seamless pipe with OD 9 5/8", 0.380" nominal wall thickness. I am using 10 % notches depth, 0.040" width and 2" length as API 5CT Spec.

Regards
Kusnadie

Andreas
Andreas
17:21 Jun-04-2009
In Reply to Kusnadie at 15:30 Jun-04-2009 .

Make up ypur mind ,you using 1/16" holes or notches or both ?
Or using the notches for the longitudinal system and holes for the transversal system.
On standard unit there should be 8 holes to check trail and lead sensors in one go.
As i sayes on the first replay OD pitting have hardly a flux leakage and therefore a smaller amplitude.
OD/ID flaw separation on your unit seems to be by frequency of the flaw response.

Normally a 10% notch is used for new casing acc API Standard API5CT.On new casing you looking for defeccts from the manufacturing process lile seams,overlap etc.

On used pipe you looking mainly for mechanical defects/flaws and corrossion.The flaw response from this defects are differrent and you need to establish your on reference level according to the defect to be found.

If you inspecting used casing you should use the API RP 5C1.

Regards

Andreas

Kusnadie
NDT Inspector, -
PT SEAMLESS PIPE INDONESIA JAYA, Indonesia, Joined Apr 2007, 5

Kusnadie

NDT Inspector, -
PT SEAMLESS PIPE INDONESIA JAYA,
Indonesia,
Joined Apr 2007
16:09 Jun-05-2009
In Reply to Andreas at 17:21 Jun-04-2009 .

Hello Andreas,

I would like to thank for your suggests, opinions and supports.
Your suggests supported me to establishes any manner in inspection better.

Regards
Kusnadie

Product Spotlight

High Resolution Industrial CT System for Small/Medium Size Parts Inspection

The YXLON FF35 CT computed tomography system is designed to achieve extremely precise inspection res
ults for a wide range of applications. Available in a single or dual tube configuration, it is perfect for very small to medium size parts inspection in the automotive, electronics, aviation, and material science industries.
>

NDT.net launches mobile-friendly design

NDT.net has revamped its website providing a mobile-friendly design.The front page received a comp
letely new design and all other sections are now reacting responsively on mobile devices. This has been a major step to make our website more user- friendly.
>

Teletest Focus+

Teletest Focus+ electronics have superior capabilities than rivals on the market. Beyond the usual
test features, Focus+ has 24 transmit channels and 24 receive channels, with an additional on-board switching capabilities. The instrument's frequency range is 10–300 kHz.
>

XRHRobotStar

In high volume industries like automotive the requirement for a hundred percent X-ray inspection c
reates a bottleneck in the production. The XRHRobotStar is a fully Automated Defect Recognition (ADR) capable robot-system that allows an ultra-fast in-line inspection.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window