where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Sonotron NDT
Original developer and manufacturer of advanced ultrasonic instruments
Technical Discussions
ICTMan
Student
USA, Joined May 2009, 4

ICTMan

Student
USA,
Joined May 2009
04:06 Jun-02-2009
is it possible to use NDT UT to test under sea fiber

hi
is it possible to use NDT UT to test under sea fiber(the shield only)?

S.V.Swamy
Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex , India, Joined Feb 2001, 787

S.V.Swamy

Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
09:34 Jun-02-2009
Re: is it possible to use NDT UT to test under sea fiber
In Reply to ICTMan at 04:06 Jun-02-2009 (Opening).

If you can first set up an immersion tank and put a small length of the cable in it and validate the UT immersion set up successfully, translating it for undersea cable testing may not be too much of a problem. So, I would suggest that you first complete the lab part of the set up.

Swamy

ICTMan
Student
USA, Joined May 2009, 4

ICTMan

Student
USA,
Joined May 2009
06:12 Jun-04-2009
In Reply to S.V.Swamy at 09:34 Jun-02-2009 .

thank you. I'm working on my university thesis. and before doing any thing I want to know if it is possible and my effort is not impracticable. I only want to design and test it in lab range.
does the NDT UT work on suffaces like under sea fiber optic cables cover. it slim (~2 mm) and other layers are under it. and some of them are not glossy. and other problem is the layers that are made under sea like sediment that is not possible to clean all the length of the cable to test. is it a method to test it under this situations.

S.V.Swamy
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex , India, Joined Feb 2001, 787

S.V.Swamy

Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
18:48 Jun-04-2009
In Reply to ICTMan at 06:12 Jun-04-2009 .

In that case, a thorough search should bring up the feasibility studies if any already conducted. You should in any case, do an experimental set up to validate the theory. In theory it is possible to transmit sound through several layers of different materials and detect imperfections in each of them. Practice is quite different from theory however and the testability depends on many factors. I am writing out of my general knowledge and confess that I have not done any studies myself.

Best wishes.

Swamy

Joe Buckley
Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT, United Kingdom, Joined Oct 1999, 522

Joe Buckley

Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
22:01 Jun-04-2009
In Reply to ICTMan at 06:12 Jun-04-2009 .

Undersea cables are designed for a wide range of applications. (Pressure, flexibility, abrasion resistance etc) Usually the different layers perform different functions and are made of quite different materials. Its fairly unlikely that you will get much sound past the first layer. But each case is different. Its worth a try.

Joe

ICTMan
Student
USA, Joined May 2009, 4

ICTMan

Student
USA,
Joined May 2009
14:04 Jun-05-2009
In Reply to Joe Buckley at 22:01 Jun-04-2009 .

is there any effort doing this. I need it to use the results of experiences. I could not find any.
thank you Sirs.

Product Spotlight

IntraPhase Athena Phased Array System

The Athena Phased Array system, manufactured by WesDyne NDE Products & Technology, consists of a pha
sed array acquisition system and PC running IntraSpect software. A PC is used to perform acquisition, analysis and storage of the data. System hardware is capable of operating up to four data sets with any combination of phased array or conventional UT probes. NOW AVAILABLE IN 64-64 CONFIGURATION.
>

Lyft™: Pulsed Eddy Current Reinvented

PEC Reinvented—CUI Programs Redefined Corrosion under insulation (CUI) is possibly the greatest u
nresolved asset integrity problem in the industry. Current methods for measuring wall thickness with liftoff, without removing insulation, all have severe limitations. Eddyfi introduces Lyft — a reinvented, high-performance pulsed eddy current (PEC) solution. The patent- pending system features a state-of-the-art portable instrument, real- time C-scan imaging, fast data acquisition with grid-mapping and dynamic scanning modes, and flexibility with long cables. It can also scan through thick metal and insulation, as well as aluminum, stainless steel, and galvanized steel weather jackets. Who else but Eddyfi to reinvent an eddy current technique and redefine CUI programs. Got Lyft?
>

NOVO Armor 15 & NOVO Armor 22

The Armor Kit Contains the NOVO Armor, which provides additional mechanical protection to the NOVO 1
5WN & NOVO 22WN Detectors, the Armor Stand and a traveling soft cover. - Newest shock absorbent technology case - Water resistant design - Supports wired & wireless communication - Multiple positioning options - Tripod connection using the Built-in 1/4” threads - Simple Detector battery replacement
>

SONOAIR - air-coupled Phased Array Ultrasonic Inspection System

For highly attenuating materials, the performance of the system is critical. The ultrasonic sensors,
the scanning area and the system settings should be flexibly adapted to the test task and the material. These high expectations are met with the new and modular testing system SONOAIR. With the world’s first air-coupled phased-array UT inspection system SONOAIR we developed a technology that works with up to 4 transmitter and receiver channels with freely configurable square wave burst transmitters as wells as low noise receiving amplifiers.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window