where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Iris Inspection Services, Inc.
We are the world's largest supplier of air cooler, boiler and exchanger tubing inspection services.

Technical Discussions
ICTMan
Student
USA, Joined May 2009, 4

ICTMan

Student
USA,
Joined May 2009
04:06 Jun-02-2009
is it possible to use NDT UT to test under sea fiber

hi
is it possible to use NDT UT to test under sea fiber(the shield only)?

S.V.Swamy
Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex , India, Joined Feb 2001, 787

S.V.Swamy

Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
09:34 Jun-02-2009
Re: is it possible to use NDT UT to test under sea fiber
In Reply to ICTMan at 04:06 Jun-02-2009 (Opening).

If you can first set up an immersion tank and put a small length of the cable in it and validate the UT immersion set up successfully, translating it for undersea cable testing may not be too much of a problem. So, I would suggest that you first complete the lab part of the set up.

Swamy

ICTMan
Student
USA, Joined May 2009, 4

ICTMan

Student
USA,
Joined May 2009
06:12 Jun-04-2009
In Reply to S.V.Swamy at 09:34 Jun-02-2009 .

thank you. I'm working on my university thesis. and before doing any thing I want to know if it is possible and my effort is not impracticable. I only want to design and test it in lab range.
does the NDT UT work on suffaces like under sea fiber optic cables cover. it slim (~2 mm) and other layers are under it. and some of them are not glossy. and other problem is the layers that are made under sea like sediment that is not possible to clean all the length of the cable to test. is it a method to test it under this situations.

S.V.Swamy
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex , India, Joined Feb 2001, 787

S.V.Swamy

Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
18:48 Jun-04-2009
In Reply to ICTMan at 06:12 Jun-04-2009 .

In that case, a thorough search should bring up the feasibility studies if any already conducted. You should in any case, do an experimental set up to validate the theory. In theory it is possible to transmit sound through several layers of different materials and detect imperfections in each of them. Practice is quite different from theory however and the testability depends on many factors. I am writing out of my general knowledge and confess that I have not done any studies myself.

Best wishes.

Swamy

Joe Buckley
Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT, United Kingdom, Joined Oct 1999, 519

Joe Buckley

Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
22:01 Jun-04-2009
In Reply to ICTMan at 06:12 Jun-04-2009 .

Undersea cables are designed for a wide range of applications. (Pressure, flexibility, abrasion resistance etc) Usually the different layers perform different functions and are made of quite different materials. Its fairly unlikely that you will get much sound past the first layer. But each case is different. Its worth a try.

Joe

ICTMan
Student
USA, Joined May 2009, 4

ICTMan

Student
USA,
Joined May 2009
14:04 Jun-05-2009
In Reply to Joe Buckley at 22:01 Jun-04-2009 .

is there any effort doing this. I need it to use the results of experiences. I could not find any.
thank you Sirs.

Product Spotlight

NEOS III

NEOS III is Logos Imagings lightest DR system. With a built-in battery and internal wireless commu
nication, the NEOS III is perfect for users that want to quickly assess an item.
>

ISAFE3 Intrinsically Safe Sensor System

ISAFE3 intrinsically safe sensor system of Vallen Systeme is especially targeted at the petrochemica
l - as well as oil and gas transportation industry. The sensor system is designed for permanent monitoring or periodic inspection tasks. Sensors are available for different AE-frequency ranges optimized for corrosion and fatigue crack detection and other applications. The ISAFE 3 sensor system consists of an AE-sensor (model ISAS3) certified according to ATEX/IEC for installation in zone 0, gas group IIC, IP68, 20 to +60 °C, and a signal isolator (model SISO3) certified for installation in zone 2. An ISAS3 sensor can be mounted in atmosphere or submerged, e.g. in water or crude oil. It is supported by mounting tools for temporary (magnets) or permanent (welded) installation. ISAFE3 supports automatic sensor coupling test and can be used with any AE signal processor supporting 28V supply at 90 mA peak, e.g. Vallen Systeme ASIP-2/A.
>

Research and Applications Development For NDT

The Research and Applications Development (RAD) group is a newly formed team within Acuren dedicat
ed to tackling challenging inspection problems. Our focus is the development of novel, field deployable, advanced inspection techniques for use in cases where standard NDT methods are ineffective. We don't wait for new innovations, we engineer them. From concept to commissioning.
>

High Resolution Industrial CT System for Small/Medium Size Parts Inspection - YXLON FF35 CT

The YXLON FF35 CT computed tomography system is designed to achieve extremely precise inspection r
esults for a wide range of applications. Available in a single or dual tube configuration, it is perfect for very small to medium size parts inspection in the automotive, electronics, aviation, and material science industries.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window