where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Mokhtar
Mokhtar
08:27 Jun-20-2001
NDT for Composite

I would like to know the best laboratory NDT methods to inspect composite(PMC).

Thank you.

David
Student, Research Assistant
National University of Malaysia, Malaysia, Joined Jan 2000, 4

David

National University of Malaysia,
Malaysia,
Joined Jan 2000
09:13 Jun-20-2001
Re: NDT for Composite
: I would like to know the best laboratory NDT methods to inspect composite(PMC).
: Thank you.

Pulse echo ultrasonic method. Normal probe, direct contact.
Frequency range depends on your material thickness also.

mokhtar
mokhtar
02:36 Jun-21-2001
: : I would like to know the best laboratory NDT methods to inspect composite(PMC).
: .
: : Thank you.
: .
: Pulse echo ultrasonic method. Normal probe, direct contact.
: Frequency range depends on your material thickness also.

Dear Mr David,
What about immersion technique? Let's say a have glass fibre and thickness is 5mm: What frequency should the probe be?

Thank you.

David
National University of Malaysia, Malaysia, Joined Jan 2000, 4

David

National University of Malaysia,
Malaysia,
Joined Jan 2000
09:47 Jun-21-2001
Immersion technique has its own advantages but the
choice is yours. If the test material can be soaked
into liquid unconditionally, you can proceed with it.
Since your material is relatively thin and considering
that the material is a glass fibre reinforced composite,
the frequency range can be around 0.5MHz to 2MHz.
The selection is fairly at your discretion. Thank you.

All the best, David, N.V.

A. Mucciardi
Engineering, -
SLX, Inc., USA, Joined Jan 2000, 3

A. Mucciardi

Engineering, -
SLX, Inc.,
USA,
Joined Jan 2000
01:37 Jun-21-2001
: Immersion technique has its own advantages but the
: choice is yours. If the test material can be soaked
: into liquid unconditionally, you can proceed with it.
: Since your material is relatively thin and considering
: that the material is a glass fibre reinforced composite,
: the frequency range can be around 0.5MHz to 2MHz.
: The selection is fairly at your discretion. Thank you.
: All the best, David, N.V.

SLX manufactures a tunable filter unit, the Noise Suppressor II, that adds on to any existing UT instrument. The dual tunable Filters (including a PreAmp) can significantly increase the S/N ratio for components possessing either small defects, or highly attenuative grain structure, or both. The NSII comes in four models, each operating in a different, and overlapping, frequency range. One of these models, NSII-L, operates in the 0.5 to 2.4 MHz range which appears to be the band of interest in this application. Details of this inexpensive, add-on instrument can be found at www.SLX-inc.com .

Regards, Tony

Jeff Leak
Jeff Leak
08:36 Jun-26-2001
: I would like to know the best laboratory NDT methods to inspect composite(PMC).
: Thank you.

I have been inspection composite materials for about 11 years, at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center. I typically use 5Mhz, 0.0250"dia probes, in a Type I immersion bath.

Generally, I inspect the composite panels in a thru-transmission mode, looking for the "bulk-attenuation" of the panel. We get a "plan-view" C-Scan image.

Jeff

Songping Liu
Songping Liu
03:16 Jul-29-2001
We have developed a very high resolution RF ultrasonic evaluation technique specially for fiber reinforced composites. It is very useful and smart for applications in laboratory or field for composites.

Thanks

Songping Liu
Ph.D, director of the center for NDT&E
Beijing Aeronautical Manufacturing Technology Research Institute (BAMTRI)
Beijing 100024, P.R. China
E-mail: liusping@public.fhnet.cn.net
Tel: 86-10-65761731-2296(Office)
Fax: 86-10-65762306

ozan esen
ozan esen
02:08 Dec-18-2002
NDT for Composite
I'm the studen at civil aviation school in Turkey.. Could you please send me some text about "ndt for composites".. thank you..

Product Spotlight

Robotic laser shearography enables 100% inspection of complex, flight-critical composite structures

An article in “Composites World Magazine” showcases Non Destructive Testing of aero-structures
with Laser Shearography. Over the years Dantec Dynamics has supplied many solutions for the aerospace industry. Referring to specific customer projects several of these cases are examined to outline the advantages of using Laser Shearography for automated defect detection.
>

Cygnus 6+ PRO Multi-Mode Ultrasonic Thickness Gauge

The Cygnus 6+ PRO thickness gauge is the most advance gauge within the Cygnus range with key featu
res including: comprehensive data logging; A-scan and B-scan display; manual gain control; Bluetooth connectivity; and much more. With its unique dual display and three measuring modes (Multiple-Echo, Echo-Echo and Single-Echo), this surface thickness gauge offers maximum versatility for inspections.
>

HD-CR 35 NDT Computed Radiography System

Portable high-resolution CR scanner for all radiography applications - weld testing, profile images
and aerospace. No matter what type of radiographic testing you are performing, the unique TreFoc Technology of the HD-CR 35 NDT imaging plate scanner always guarantees the highest image quality.
>

FAAST-PA! OEM Patented phased Array for high speed UT inspection

Multiangle, Multifocus, Multifrequency, Multibeam. Instead of stacking UT electronics and having m
any PA probes, FAAST-PA is able to transmit all delay laws within ONE single shot in Real time.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window
s