where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Mokhtar
Mokhtar
08:27 Jun-20-2001
NDT for Composite

I would like to know the best laboratory NDT methods to inspect composite(PMC).

Thank you.

David
Student, Research Assistant
National University of Malaysia, Malaysia, Joined Jan 2000, 4

David

National University of Malaysia,
Malaysia,
Joined Jan 2000
09:13 Jun-20-2001
Re: NDT for Composite
: I would like to know the best laboratory NDT methods to inspect composite(PMC).
: Thank you.

Pulse echo ultrasonic method. Normal probe, direct contact.
Frequency range depends on your material thickness also.

mokhtar
mokhtar
02:36 Jun-21-2001
: : I would like to know the best laboratory NDT methods to inspect composite(PMC).
: .
: : Thank you.
: .
: Pulse echo ultrasonic method. Normal probe, direct contact.
: Frequency range depends on your material thickness also.

Dear Mr David,
What about immersion technique? Let's say a have glass fibre and thickness is 5mm: What frequency should the probe be?

Thank you.

David
National University of Malaysia, Malaysia, Joined Jan 2000, 4

David

National University of Malaysia,
Malaysia,
Joined Jan 2000
09:47 Jun-21-2001
Immersion technique has its own advantages but the
choice is yours. If the test material can be soaked
into liquid unconditionally, you can proceed with it.
Since your material is relatively thin and considering
that the material is a glass fibre reinforced composite,
the frequency range can be around 0.5MHz to 2MHz.
The selection is fairly at your discretion. Thank you.

All the best, David, N.V.

A. Mucciardi
Engineering, -
SLX, Inc., USA, Joined Jan 2000, 3

A. Mucciardi

Engineering, -
SLX, Inc.,
USA,
Joined Jan 2000
01:37 Jun-21-2001
: Immersion technique has its own advantages but the
: choice is yours. If the test material can be soaked
: into liquid unconditionally, you can proceed with it.
: Since your material is relatively thin and considering
: that the material is a glass fibre reinforced composite,
: the frequency range can be around 0.5MHz to 2MHz.
: The selection is fairly at your discretion. Thank you.
: All the best, David, N.V.

SLX manufactures a tunable filter unit, the Noise Suppressor II, that adds on to any existing UT instrument. The dual tunable Filters (including a PreAmp) can significantly increase the S/N ratio for components possessing either small defects, or highly attenuative grain structure, or both. The NSII comes in four models, each operating in a different, and overlapping, frequency range. One of these models, NSII-L, operates in the 0.5 to 2.4 MHz range which appears to be the band of interest in this application. Details of this inexpensive, add-on instrument can be found at www.SLX-inc.com .

Regards, Tony

Jeff Leak
Jeff Leak
08:36 Jun-26-2001
: I would like to know the best laboratory NDT methods to inspect composite(PMC).
: Thank you.

I have been inspection composite materials for about 11 years, at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center. I typically use 5Mhz, 0.0250"dia probes, in a Type I immersion bath.

Generally, I inspect the composite panels in a thru-transmission mode, looking for the "bulk-attenuation" of the panel. We get a "plan-view" C-Scan image.

Jeff

Songping Liu
Songping Liu
03:16 Jul-29-2001
We have developed a very high resolution RF ultrasonic evaluation technique specially for fiber reinforced composites. It is very useful and smart for applications in laboratory or field for composites.

Thanks

Songping Liu
Ph.D, director of the center for NDT&E
Beijing Aeronautical Manufacturing Technology Research Institute (BAMTRI)
Beijing 100024, P.R. China
E-mail: liusping@public.fhnet.cn.net
Tel: 86-10-65761731-2296(Office)
Fax: 86-10-65762306

ozan esen
ozan esen
02:08 Dec-18-2002
NDT for Composite
I'm the studen at civil aviation school in Turkey.. Could you please send me some text about "ndt for composites".. thank you..

Product Spotlight

Ultrasonic tomograph for imaging of concrete structures А1040 MIRA

Applicable for concrete inspection allowing imaging of the internal structure of objects from conc
rete, reinforced concrete, different stones. The operation applies pulse-echo technique at one-side access to the object. The instrument is feasible for concrete inspection for searching conduct ducts, conduits, detection of foreign inclusions, holes, honeycombing, cracks and other concrete defects.
>

Teletest Focus+

Teletest Focus+ electronics have superior capabilities than rivals on the market. Beyond the usual
test features, Focus+ has 24 transmit channels and 24 receive channels, with an additional on-board switching capabilities. The instrument's frequency range is 10–300 kHz.
>

MUSE Mobile Ultrasonic Equipment

The MUSE, a portable ultrasonic imaging system, was developed for in-field inspections of light-weig
ht structures. The MUSE consists of a motor-driven manipulator, a water circulation system for the acoustic coupling and a portable ultrasonic flaw detector (USPC 3010). The MUSE provides images of internal defects (A-, B-,C- and D-scan).
>

CIVA 2020 UT Module

CIVA NDE Simulation Software is the world leader of NDT Simulation. The UT simulation Module incl
udes: - "Beam computation": Beam propagation simulation - "Inspection Simulation": Beam interaction with flaws or specimens The user can simulate a whole inspection process (pulse echo, tandem or TOFD) with a wide range of probes (conventional, Phased- arrays or EMAT), components, and flaws.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window