where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions
Career Discussions >
UT Instruments - Certification of Calibration
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Controle Mesure Systemes
Contrôle Mesure Systèmes designs, develops and manufactures nearly 30 years a complete NDT range of products in eddy current and ultrasonic testing methods.

14:55 Jun-05-2009
K. Vetter
UT Instruments - Certification of Calibration

Hello All,

I'm trying to get a few things clear on UT instrument calibration certification....If ASTM E317 is performed to NIST traceable blocks by a Level III, and a report complete as defined in ASTM E317, can this constitute as the "industry" yearly certification of calibration.

Or.....does the yearly certification of calibration require the UT instrument to be sent to the manufacture. I ask this because I have been told that the manufacturer specifications are performed in accordance with ASTM E317.

Regards,

K. Vetter

17:21 Jun-05-2009

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
Re: UT Instruments - Certification of Calibration In Reply to K. Vetter at 14:55 Jun-05-2009 (Opening).

We were doing in-house calibration to the standard specified and we were also doing calibration of UT equipment from others to the specification because we had a Level III to sign the certificate.

Swamy
Hyderabad, India

18:49 Jun-05-2009

Roger Duwe

NDT Inspector, API-510, 570, 653
MISTRAS,
USA,
Joined Jan 2009
Re: UT Instruments - Certification of Calibration In Reply to S.V.Swamy at 17:21 Jun-05-2009 .

Mr. Swamy is somewhat more stringent than what we do, and our calibrations have been audited by most [if not all] of the major end-users. Our calibrations are signed [certified] by the cognizant Level II that performed the calibration checks. We also use the 1-year maximum interval allowed by ASME Sect V. Works well, saves quite a bit of money and loss of use of our instruments that sending them out for calibration testing requires.

There was quite a bit of discussion on this Forum about 3-4 months ago on digital UT instrument 'calibration'. The consesus seemed to me to be that: "Since the instruments are not adjustable to achieve true recalibration, in-house testing seems to be the best option unless you have a specific client that has more stringent requirements. In-house calibration testing using the Code specified test blocks satisfies all major Codes and Standards."

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|