where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Godfrey Hands
Consultant,
PRI Nadcap, United Kingdom, Joined Nov 1998, 303

Godfrey Hands

Consultant,
PRI Nadcap,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 1998
17:24 Jun-09-2009
ET PoD in aerospace application

Hi,
Has anyone any information regarding what the PoD (Prtobability of Detection) is using Eddy Current Flaw detection technology in Aluminium Aerospace applications?

Customer requests detection of 1.4 mm long x 0.14mm deep surface breaking cracks.
I think the PoD will be very low on this, but with 2.5 x 0.25 PoD could reach reasonable numbers. Does anybody have any figures? Surface roughness is good, but access is limited.

regards,

Godfrey Hands

Michel Couture
NDT Inspector,
consultant, Canada, Joined Sep 2006, 851

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
15:30 Jun-10-2009
Re: ET PoD in aerospace application
In Reply to Godfrey Hands at 17:24 Jun-09-2009 (Opening).

Godfrey,

Normal calibration for ET with a 200kHz absolute probe is a 0.5 mm EDM Notch. So far as depth you would be OK. As for the length of the crack, the operator would haveto ensure a good overlap on the scan. I understand access is difficult, but I think it is feasable.

Good Luck,

Catalin Mandache
Catalin Mandache
15:23 Jun-15-2009

Godfrey – I can refer you to the work our group completed on bolt-hole eddy current PoD. Here is a preliminary presentation of this work (that I may release): http://www.cnde.iastate.edu/MAPOD/2007%20November/GBHET_Nov_2007.pdf

I hope this helps you a bit, although not the same inspection situation.
Please let me know if you have any questions.

Catalin

David Forsyth
R & D
TRI/Austin, USA, Joined Nov 2001, 41

David Forsyth

R & D
TRI/Austin,
USA,
Joined Nov 2001
19:03 Jun-23-2009

FAA ECIRE data is closest to your application, maybe? It studied manual pencil probe ET around rivet in Al skins for aircraft. I am out of the office so don't have it in front of me, but I seem to recall a 0.250" long crack = 6mm as about the number for reasonable detection. Will post the report number when I am back in office.

Regards, Dave.

Product Spotlight

Research Center IDEKO develops an ultrasonic train wheel inspection system for CAF

The Basque Research centre IK4-IDEKO has developed a state-of-the-art ultrasonic inspection system f
or the train wheel. This system secures a sound condition of train wheels and is thus a significant contribution to rail transport safety. The device was delivered to CAF recently and its use allows the manufacturer to become an approved supplier of rolling stock in Italy, as it meets the demanding homologation standards of this country. \\\\r\\\\n
>

Navic - Steerable Modular Automated Scanner

The Navic is a modular, motorized, steerable scanner designed to carry multiple attachments used
in various scanning and inspection applications. The Navic is capable of weld scanning (girth welds and long seam welds), automated corrosion mapping, and tank scanning.
>

MIZ®-21C: Truly Affordable Eddy Current Handheld with Surface Array Capability

Introducing MIZ-21C, the first truly affordable handheld eddy current instrument with surface array
capabilities. MIZ-21C can deliver fast, accurate inspections in demanding NDT applications including aerospace, oil and gas, manufacturing, and power generation. The surface array solution can reduce inspection time by up to 95% compared to traditional handheld pencil probes. The ergonomic design, long battery life, and intuitive touchscreen mean you can inspect more areas faster than ever without fatigue.
>

Varex Imaging Large Field of View (FOV) Digital Detector Arrays (DDAs)

A larger FOV DDA can reduce the space and volume of the X-ray inspection system on the factory floor
, enable faster scanning times, better throughput and better resolution images at a lower dose. Customers can also save time and money. With these benefits in mind, Varex Imaging has designed a family of large FOV detectors (4343HE, XRD 1611, 4343DX-I, 4343CT) for our industrial imaging customers.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window