where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
ET PoD in aerospace application
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

17:24 Jun-09-2009

Godfrey Hands

Engineering,
PRI Nadcap,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 1998
ET PoD in aerospace application

Hi,
Has anyone any information regarding what the PoD (Prtobability of Detection) is using Eddy Current Flaw detection technology in Aluminium Aerospace applications?

Customer requests detection of 1.4 mm long x 0.14mm deep surface breaking cracks.
I think the PoD will be very low on this, but with 2.5 x 0.25 PoD could reach reasonable numbers. Does anybody have any figures? Surface roughness is good, but access is limited.

regards,

Godfrey Hands

15:30 Jun-10-2009

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
Re: ET PoD in aerospace application In Reply to Godfrey Hands at 17:24 Jun-09-2009 (Opening).

Godfrey,

Normal calibration for ET with a 200kHz absolute probe is a 0.5 mm EDM Notch. So far as depth you would be OK. As for the length of the crack, the operator would haveto ensure a good overlap on the scan. I understand access is difficult, but I think it is feasable.

Good Luck,

15:23 Jun-15-2009
Catalin Mandache
Re: ET PoD in aerospace application In Reply to Godfrey Hands at 17:24 Jun-09-2009 (Opening).

Godfrey – I can refer you to the work our group completed on bolt-hole eddy current PoD. Here is a preliminary presentation of this work (that I may release): http://www.cnde.iastate.edu/MAPOD/2007%20November/GBHET_Nov_2007.pdf

I hope this helps you a bit, although not the same inspection situation.
Please let me know if you have any questions.

Catalin

19:03 Jun-23-2009

David Forsyth

R & D
TRI/Austin,
USA,
Joined Nov 2001

FAA ECIRE data is closest to your application, maybe? It studied manual pencil probe ET around rivet in Al skins for aircraft. I am out of the office so don't have it in front of me, but I seem to recall a 0.250" long crack = 6mm as about the number for reasonable detection. Will post the report number when I am back in office.

Regards, Dave.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|