where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Sonotron NDT
Original developer and manufacturer of advanced ultrasonic instruments

Technical Discussions
zaidi
zaidi
05:18 Jun-16-2009
Instrument with attenuation : b-a-c

Hi everyone,

I've been confusing about expression "Instrument with attenuation : b-a-c" in AWS D1.1 2006 Sect.6.26.6.5.Could you please explain me about it, And when we have to use the formula(b-a-c) instead of the a-b-c? As my knowledge that most UT Technicians only use the a-b-c when they evaluate every defect found.Thanks in advance for further kind explaination.

Best Regards,
Zaidi

Ed T.
Ed T.
08:27 Jun-16-2009
Re: Instrument with attenuation : b-a-c
In Reply to zaidi at 05:18 Jun-16-2009 (Opening).

Some of the UT instruments "in the old days" had atenuation controls rathe rthan gain controls. It would reduce gain as you turned it up rather than increase gain. I am not even aware of any modern day instrumentsthat have it.

It's just the opposite so AWS used "b-a-c=d" instead of "a-b-c=d".

Product Spotlight

FAAST-PA! OEM Patented phased Array for high speed UT inspection

Multiangle, Multifocus, Multifrequency, Multibeam. Instead of stacking UT electronics and having m
any PA probes, FAAST-PA is able to transmit all delay laws within ONE single shot in Real time.
>

Spot weld inspection with Phased Array – PHAsis.one

The first PAUT spot weld inspection device offering a physical resolution of the spot weld diamete
r better than 0.35mm. Precise: more than 700 real UT measurements per spot weld. Easy to go: minimal training required due to the user friendly inspection software. Be sure: safe evaluation due to the imaging result display and automated creation of an evaluation proposal for the spot weld quality.
>

Alpha Pro Digital Radiography System

The Alpha Pro digital X-ray system is the ideal system for your NDT \r\nneeds, as it offers amazin
g 16 bit images which enable the highest \r\nlevel of detection and identification of hairline cracks. While weighing only 3kg (6.6lbs), this panel has the largest imaging area: 35 X 43 cm (14X17 in).
>

IntraPhase Athena Phased Array System

The Athena Phased Array system, manufactured by WesDyne NDE Products & Technology, consists of a pha
sed array acquisition system and PC running IntraSpect software. A PC is used to perform acquisition, analysis and storage of the data. System hardware is capable of operating up to four data sets with any combination of phased array or conventional UT probes. NOW AVAILABLE IN 64-64 CONFIGURATION.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window
s