where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions
Career Discussions >
Advice on penetrant course
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Materials Research Institute
Consulting to the NDT industry.

21:39 Jun-24-2009
abid
Advice on penetrant course

Hello all I am intrested to join the field of NDT.I am considering to take a 5day course in liquid penetrant method most likely with TWI (uk) (any better advice and suggestions on course providers pls reply).MY question is that is the above course enough to get a foot in the NDT industry what would be my liklyhoods of getting in plus i want to do some self study about NDT so any suggestions for which book or books to buy so that i can have a good know how and familiarity with the subject before i go in this course pls looking forward to as many replies as possible and thanks in advance to all ABID

07:59 Jun-25-2009

Atif

Engineering
MRF,
Pakistan,
Joined Jan 2009
Re: Advice on penetrant course In Reply to abid at 21:39 Jun-24-2009 (Opening).

TWI course will give you good idea about NDT. However prior to taking the course you should go through some practical experience of PT. it will help you a lot to understand the course and PT terms. Get General Dynamics or ASNT PT book or NCNDT book for PT. That will help and do read ASTM 1417 as well

08:01 Jun-25-2009

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001

At the outset, my best wishes to you. Choose a course that is well recommended and is economical for you. Whether that will give you enough foothold in NDT industry depends on your other qualifications, experience and the local job market etc.

As far as books are concerned, there are many including the General Dynamics Programmed Instruction Books and Classroom Training Handbooks on various NDT methods including PT. There are other books by british and american authors. There is a good book by my colleagues Dr.Baldevraj, Jayakumar and Thavasimuttu (Practical NonDestructive Testing).

My best wishes to you on your NDT journey. If you need any further help, feel free to ask.

Swamy
NDT Guru

12:33 Jun-25-2009
abid
Re: Advice on penetrant course In Reply to Atif at 07:59 Jun-25-2009 .

Atif thanks a lot for your kind advice I live and work in london and at the moment work as a helper electrician im not sure if any firm or co will employ me without any course or experience and the only way i can get practical experience is by working for someone im 49 years of age and chances of an apprenticeship are 0 so can you suggest any better way but no matter what im gonna persue this and will not give up also i think it will be a good idea if i could have a look at the course material to caliberate my self i do have A levels in physics chemistry biology and english from pakistan that was back in 1979 Atif how did you get into NDT and where did you do your courses is it possible to do NDT courses in pakistsn and possibly get some practical experience looking forward for your kind reply thanks. ABID.

12:44 Jun-25-2009
ABID
Re: Advice on penetrant course In Reply to S.V.Swamy at 08:01 Jun-25-2009 .

MR.Swamy thanks very much for your kind reply and advice i will look into the books and try and find out where to get them.I was introduced to NDT when i applied for a job with B.A. as an aircraft tyre inspection trainee and in the application form i was asked if i had any NDT training which i assume a course in NDT. I didnt get the job and i think for this particuler reason so then i decided to do a course and apply for jobs i have A levels in physics chemistry english and biology i dont know if these are enough to satisfy the minimum requirements to get in the industry after i have done the penetrant course but bieng a Guru how else you can help me in my cause i.e. to give me some Guru tips on how to get started i shall look forward to your kind reply thanks Abid.

04:01 Jun-27-2009

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
Re: Advice on penetrant course In Reply to ABID at 12:44 Jun-25-2009 .

Dear Abid,

Thanks for your reply. I understand that you are 49 years young! Well, that will definitely have some bias against you for entry into a new field. Having said that, who knows what the future holds? Keep trying and keep a positive attitude. Best wishes.

Your elder brother from India who is 61.

15:55 Jun-27-2009
Abid
Re: Advice on penetrant course In Reply to S.V.Swamy at 04:01 Jun-27-2009 .

Dear sir swamy thanks alot for the encouragement i shall try my best at the moment i have both positive and negative attitudes and
you know y me bieng 49 year young boy i still cant get hold of any basic book for NDT the ones avilable are £130. odd pounds i cant afford that i do love the NDT field specially testing aircraft parts as i love aeroplanes but when i think of the odds against me to be succesful i feel a bit down i wonder if they do the NDT training in pakistan bcause that could be affordable and plus i might get a chance to get some practical experience after the course i think i need to do some more investigation and i do need your help and guidence i never looked into your profile 2day i did and believe me i was nit just impressed but very impressed your valuable advice and experience plus knowledge and others like you on this forum are vital for us new comers thanks again and God bless keep your replies coming.

08:20 Jun-28-2009

Atif

Engineering
MRF,
Pakistan,
Joined Jan 2009
Re: Advice on penetrant course In Reply to abid at 12:33 Jun-25-2009 .

You required at least 2 years hand on experience on to be an expert on any NDT method. For being certified as Level I/ II you required number of qualifications that includes experience, formal classromm training, exams, eye test . NDT courses are being coundected in Pakistan and much better than many other institues as they provide comprehensive practical training as well. Books and CDs are also cheap comparitively to UK and USA. Do let me know when you visit Pakistan. I will guide to some good institutes and books. Please rem, it requires alot of study and hard work for a beginner in NDT. explore internet you will get some material for study as well.

15:47 Jun-28-2009
abid
Re: Advice on penetrant course In Reply to Atif at 08:20 Jun-28-2009 .

salam and thanks alot for your advice ishall conduct a search on net and will definately inform you when i visit pak.how ever do companies in u.k. recognise course certifactes and relative experience gained in pakistan pls do advice thanks

16:37 Aug-02-2009
yousaf zia
Re: Advice on penetrant course In Reply to Atif at 08:20 Jun-28-2009 .

SALAAM.
atif bhai i am looking for an NDT institute in pakistan. right now i am in saudi arabia but i want to do NDT in pakistan because in saudia its just too expensive. can you plz tell me the names or locations of any institutes which conduct NDT. in pakistan i live in lahore, so if the institute is in lahore that would be great.

17:02 Aug-03-2009
yousaf zia
Re: Advice on penetrant course In Reply to S.V.Swamy at 08:01 Jun-25-2009 .

sir can u tell me that if i do NDT in pakistan or india, the certificate that i will get would be ASNT certified or just the local one. if you can give me information regarding this matter that would be really helpfull.
thnx

09:40 Aug-12-2009
Asif Mohammed

Hello all i am intereted to join the field of ndt course before i go this course i want know what how much Qualifaction needed for NDT course how fees of the ndt course and how many month course in ndt course i want learn instrument techinican so please give me respone ASP i have join this course

05:09 Aug-14-2009

Kamran

Engineering,
United Arab Emirates (UAE),
Joined Jun 2009
Re: Advice on penetrant course In Reply to Asif Mohammed at 09:40 Aug-12-2009 .

Hi to all
well for ur kind infromation few cources are going to arrange in Islamabad, Pakistan after HAJJ ( Dec 2009 or Jan 2010) certification will be as per ASNT CP 189
But remember these cources are not a customise courses and easyone.

03:33 Aug-15-2009

khalid khan

Consultant
primende inspection services,
Canada,
Joined Jul 2008
Re: Advice on penetrant course In Reply to Kamran at 05:09 Aug-14-2009 .

I just want clarify that that their is no set up in pakistan for any ASNT examinations or
courses,therefore please do not believe if somebody is telling so because it is a total scam.
Also you need to be good in english language.

13:32 Aug-15-2009

Atif

Engineering
MRF,
Pakistan,
Joined Jan 2009
Re: Advice on penetrant course In Reply to khalid khan at 03:33 Aug-15-2009 .

Hi. Number of times, ASNT approved courses had been conducted at Pakistan in past and their ASNT reference numbers (4930, 4931 etc) are also available. Same can be varified from ASNT as well. For Mr Asif, For NDT level certification in accordance with any standard (e.g NAS 410, EN 4179, ASNT CP 189, ISO 9712 etc) you required certain qualifications. that include formal training (Minimum numbers of hours), Examination, Experience, Eye test etc. You can get any thing first but all said quailification are required for certifications. I suggest try to get some hand on experience to start with and then you can proceed furthur.

12:31 Aug-16-2009

KAMRAN

Engineering,
United Arab Emirates (UAE),
Joined Jun 2009
Re: Advice on penetrant course In Reply to khalid khan at 03:33 Aug-15-2009 .

Thank you Mr khalid for pointing out my weakness in angrazi Languge as it is not my native language, i will try to improve it
one of the ASNT corporate member with help of LEVEL-III is arranging these courses, i m also one of the students, who get ASNT certification as per ASNT CP 189 from there, u can check on ASNT web site, Course No. 5038 and 5039

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|