where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Best In-Service Inspection Technique for Wind Turbine Blades
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

17:48 Jul-16-2009
Keith Luscinski
Best In-Service Inspection Technique for Wind Turbine Blades

I'm looking for current information on NDT techniques best suited for inspecting GFRP wind turbine blades in the field. Here's a quick summary of what I've found so far.

-Traditional tap testing is fast, but subjective. Automated tapping methods cover small areas and don't work on thicker laminates.

-Thermography is a great tool that can cover large areas, but is suited for a controlled environment.

-Ultrasound is another great tool, but is time intensive for large areas.

-Acoustic emmision monitoring and vibration analysis are really designed for structural health monitoring (i.e. systems that that installed during construction).

Are there any systems out there right now that are capable of inspecting an entire blade in-service?

04:26 Jul-17-2009
Mr.charles
Re: Best In-Service Inspection Technique for Wind Turbine Blades In Reply to Keith Luscinski at 17:48 Jul-16-2009 (Opening).

It is Charles from Dandong aolong radiative instrument co.,ltd.of China.

We are major in RT equipements manufacture.There is X-ray real-time imaging detetor can be suited for inspecting blades.In china,we have supplies some wind power electric factories to inspect the blades and get a good influence.

If you are interested in it,contact me

E:ndt.charles@gmail.com
F:86-415-6278889
T:
6-415-3458128

18:53 Jul-17-2009

Florin Turcu

R & D
Dept. of Electrical Systems and Automation - University of Pisa,
Italy,
Joined Jul 2007
Re: Best In-Service Inspection Technique for Wind Turbine Blades In Reply to Keith Luscinski at 17:48 Jul-16-2009 (Opening).

Guided waves might work, but I don't know if there's any commercially available tool specific for turbine blades.

22:15 Jul-17-2009

Matt Crompton

Sales, Manager- NDT Sales
Dantec Dynamics Inc,
USA,
Joined Aug 2008

Shearography is both fast, reliable and suitable for in-field inspection. This very week we are conducting in-field trials and are having great success at detecting wrinkles, disbonds, delaminations etc. We are using a portable system and so far the results are very good.

This link has some more info, otherwise please feel free to contact me directly.

http://www.dantecdynamics.com/Default.aspx?ID=2036

10:34 Oct-04-2011

Morgan Troedsson

Consultant, - NDT on FR Composites Wind Blades Aerospace etc.
FORCE Technology,
Denmark,
Joined Mar 2011

By far the most reliable NDT technique for FRP composite rotor blades is Ultrasonics (UT). For on-site assessments it may be cumbersome and difficult to handle efficiently by Rope Access or from traditional suspended workin platforms.

Any condition review for MRO on blades should commence with a full blade NDT inspection. Then it is easy to judge and decide on further actions for maintenance: MRO activities up-stairs on installed blade, disassembly of blade for on-site field repair, or eventually bringing the blade to a dedicated MRO workshop.

The key issue is to reach reliability and efficiency in execution of non-destructive condition testing on installed rotor blades. FORCE Technology, in collaboration with PP Techniq, has developed an smart BLADE GUIDED working platform solution (FF360), integrated with a dedicated P-SCAN BLADE SCANNER (AMS-47). The whole system may be operated at regular wind conditions - even up to 14 m/s - with retained safety and efficiency in execution.

Watch our YouTube video presentation on easy handling and installation of the system on installed rotor blades. Watch specifically the sequence with P-scan AMS-47 automated NDT scanner:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_3Y7iJaOR4

Three rotor blades on a complete turbine may be assessed within a full working day. Even when wind speed is withing normal wind turbine operating condition. That is what we call EFFICIENCY (i.e. without waiting time on the ground).

The technology is viable specifically for multi-MW wind turbines, onshore as well as offshore. You are welcome to contact us for contracts. We may work out an excellent solution for you!

http://www.P-scan.com/

18:43 Oct-06-2011
sudheer jai krishnan

Hello Keith,

You can opt for Omniscan MX series from Olympus NDT where Olympus has sold the same Omniscan in huge quantities to many WInd turbine manufacturers around the globe, both for production and for in service applications.

Regards,

S.Sudheer Jai Krishnan

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|