where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Inspection of LPG Vessel (Mounted) as per API 510
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

14:43 Jul-20-2009
Basit Iqbal Khan
Inspection of LPG Vessel (Mounted) as per API 510

I am planning to carry out the 10 yearly inspection of the mounted LPG Bullets OD 5038mmand length 18872mm, thickness 28mm shell and 16mm dish ends, storing LPG at design / Operating pressure 17.2 / (15/6.3) BarG and temperature (60 / (47/15) deg C.

I want to avoid to remove mount(vessels are buried under sand till height of 1m).i.e external inspection of shell not available, only all nozzle surface available for inspection, and i can make available internal portion for inspection.

Please provide me the code requirement to carry out the job.

21:16 Jul-20-2009

John O'Brien

Consultant, -
Chevron ETC ,
USA,
Joined Jan 2000
Re: Inspection of LPG Vessel (Mounted) as per API 510 In Reply to Basit Iqbal Khan at 14:43 Jul-20-2009 (Opening).

First check if any regulatory or jurisdictional rules apply in your locale and obviously compliance with those rules is normally mandatory.

You already mention API 510 so it seems logical to conduct an RBI study as laid out in API 510 and by reference API RP 580. This should identify damage mechanisms, risks and suitable applicable techniques.

Driving damage mechanism may well be external corrosion due to contact with ground so you nee dto assess suitability of coating, effectiveness of CP and how much and what methods to give you confidence.

22:59 Jul-20-2009

Roger Duwe

NDT Inspector, API-510, 570, 653
MISTRAS,
USA,
Joined Jan 2009
Re: Inspection of LPG Vessel (Mounted) as per API 510 In Reply to John O'Brien at 21:16 Jul-20-2009 .

A good Internal should make up for the covered portion of the external shell. I would:
Excavate down 1/3 meter or so at 2 or 3 locations to visually examine the 'Soil [sand]-to-Air' interface. Look for corrosion and failing paint.

In addition the the usual thickness measurements at 4-8 cardinal points around the shell, I would perform a 'thickness traverse', taking thicknesses every 25-40 cm at one of the excavations, starting at the Soil line and extending to the bottom of the vessel, on both sides of the shell. Use those thicknesses to determine if any external corrosion is present. If none is evident in the thicknesses, you're done.

Since sand has excellent drainage, I anticipate no metal loss on the OD, and since it is LPG, none on the ID either.

08:07 Jun-25-2016
K.Leelaadhar
Re: Inspection of LPG Vessel (Mounted) as per API 510 In Reply to Basit Iqbal Khan at 14:43 Jul-20-2009 (Opening).

As per statutory requirement we have to carryout Ultrasonic thickness , Fluroscent Magnetic inspection of all weld joints 100% Internal , Ultrasonic flaw detection of all weld joints 100% internal, Hardness test and Dye penetrant of weld joints of Nozzles , man way.

K.Leelaadhar

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|