where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
gowrishankar
R & D, scientist
ISRO, India, Joined Nov 2008, 34

gowrishankar

R & D, scientist
ISRO,
India,
Joined Nov 2008
12:48 Aug-13-2009
phased array UT

HAS ANY BODY TRIED TO TEST 5MM THICK STEEL WELDS BY PHASED ARRAY TECHNIQUE ?
IS IT POSSIBLE TO DETECT AMS "F" NOTCH (1.2MM EQUIVALENT DEFECT)

J Mark Davis
J Mark Davis
13:37 Aug-13-2009
Re: phased array UT
In Reply to gowrishankar at 12:48 Aug-13-2009 (Opening).

Phased Array at this thickness should not be a problem if the proper PA Probe is used.

I have used an Olypmus A00 designed probe of 10L16, (10 Mhz with 16 elements) on materials about .187 wall. And, that was in Titanium.

What materials are you inspecting? If carcbon Steel this should be very easy. SS may be a problem depending on grain size.

The notch depth you mentioned should not be a problem either. I have used Phased Array to detect EDM notches of .020 and less.

I know Olympus has techniques for notches smaller than 1/2 mm.

The best thing to do is try a few frequencies and probe types, 16 elements, 32 elements, etc.

gowrishankar
R & D, scientist
ISRO, India, Joined Nov 2008, 34

gowrishankar

R & D, scientist
ISRO,
India,
Joined Nov 2008
09:09 Aug-14-2009
In Reply to J Mark Davis at 13:37 Aug-13-2009 .

thank you for your valuable comments.
my material is maraging steel M250.what is comment on M250 testing feasibility?WE are using titanium pure material also.
regards
gowrishankar

J. Mark Davis
J. Mark Davis
13:42 Aug-14-2009
In Reply to gowrishankar at 12:48 Aug-13-2009 (Opening).

zoom image
To demonstrate the sensitivity and detectability using Phased Array, I scanned one of my Phased Array calibration plates.

I used a 5L16 focused at .800 inches in depth with an Omniscan 32/128.

First image is a wire EDM notch (.005 inch width) and a depth of 1 % of a 1 inch thick carbon steel plate. The actual depth is 0.010 or about .25 mm.

Second image is a 1/2 of 1% at at depth of .005 inches (.125 mm)

So, for the values you mentioned, you should not have a problem using Phased Array. Of course, this has to be demonstrated using an appropriate calibartion block of the known material.

Product Spotlight

SONOAIR - air-coupled Phased Array Ultrasonic Inspection System

For highly attenuating materials, the performance of the system is critical. The ultrasonic sensors,
the scanning area and the system settings should be flexibly adapted to the test task and the material. These high expectations are met with the new and modular testing system SONOAIR. With the world’s first air-coupled phased-array UT inspection system SONOAIR we developed a technology that works with up to 4 transmitter and receiver channels with freely configurable square wave burst transmitters as wells as low noise receiving amplifiers.
>

CIVA 2017 UT Module

CIVA NDE Simulation Software is the world leader of NDT Simulation. The UT simulation Module incl
udes: - "Beam computation": Beam propagation simulation - "Inspection Simulation": Beam interaction with flaws or specimens The user can simulate a whole inspection process (pulse echo, tandem or TOFD) with a wide range of probes (conventional, Phased- arrays or EMAT), components, and flaws.
>

I&T Nardoni

NDT, RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT OF NEW METHODOLOGY, TRAINING CENTER I&T NARDON INSTITUTE was idiated
in 1988 by Giuseppe Nardoni, now president and owner of the company, based on his multi-annual and international experience in the field of NDT.
>

Mentor UT – Ultrasonic Phased Array Flaw Detector

With Mentor UT, you get an accessible and efficient inspection experience. Create user-defined menus
and workflows (“apps”) with GE’s desktop software Mentor Create to ensure consistency, even for the most complex inspections, every time. Mentor UT is the first UT device to easily allow wireless connectivity and live streaming, so you get second opinions when you need them most—in real-time.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window