where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Vallen-Systeme GmbH
The Acoustic Emission Company! Since 1987 Vallen stands for competence and continuity in AE and for reliable business cooperation and support.

Technical Discussions
gowrishankar
R & D, scientist
ISRO, India, Joined Nov 2008, 34

gowrishankar

R & D, scientist
ISRO,
India,
Joined Nov 2008
12:48 Aug-13-2009
phased array UT

HAS ANY BODY TRIED TO TEST 5MM THICK STEEL WELDS BY PHASED ARRAY TECHNIQUE ?
IS IT POSSIBLE TO DETECT AMS "F" NOTCH (1.2MM EQUIVALENT DEFECT)

J Mark Davis
J Mark Davis
13:37 Aug-13-2009
Re: phased array UT
In Reply to gowrishankar at 12:48 Aug-13-2009 (Opening).

Phased Array at this thickness should not be a problem if the proper PA Probe is used.

I have used an Olypmus A00 designed probe of 10L16, (10 Mhz with 16 elements) on materials about .187 wall. And, that was in Titanium.

What materials are you inspecting? If carcbon Steel this should be very easy. SS may be a problem depending on grain size.

The notch depth you mentioned should not be a problem either. I have used Phased Array to detect EDM notches of .020 and less.

I know Olympus has techniques for notches smaller than 1/2 mm.

The best thing to do is try a few frequencies and probe types, 16 elements, 32 elements, etc.

gowrishankar
R & D, scientist
ISRO, India, Joined Nov 2008, 34

gowrishankar

R & D, scientist
ISRO,
India,
Joined Nov 2008
09:09 Aug-14-2009
In Reply to J Mark Davis at 13:37 Aug-13-2009 .

thank you for your valuable comments.
my material is maraging steel M250.what is comment on M250 testing feasibility?WE are using titanium pure material also.
regards
gowrishankar

J. Mark Davis
J. Mark Davis
13:42 Aug-14-2009
In Reply to gowrishankar at 12:48 Aug-13-2009 (Opening).

zoom image
To demonstrate the sensitivity and detectability using Phased Array, I scanned one of my Phased Array calibration plates.

I used a 5L16 focused at .800 inches in depth with an Omniscan 32/128.

First image is a wire EDM notch (.005 inch width) and a depth of 1 % of a 1 inch thick carbon steel plate. The actual depth is 0.010 or about .25 mm.

Second image is a 1/2 of 1% at at depth of .005 inches (.125 mm)

So, for the values you mentioned, you should not have a problem using Phased Array. Of course, this has to be demonstrated using an appropriate calibartion block of the known material.

Product Spotlight

Conformable wedge transducer

The conformability is obtained with a flexible membrane filled with water between the transducer and
the inspected component. The coupling between the membrane and the component requires a small quantity of water or couplant. The conformable wedge combines the acoustic performance of immersion technique with good coupling and low attenuation.
>

Wireless TOFD scanner

Quick, accurate and highly reproducible welds testing. The System operates wirelessly and is compat
ible with any type of Windows based Laptop, Desktop or Tablet.
>

Panther

M2M PANTHER is a phased-array equipment designed for both desktop and industrial applications, offer
ing unparalleled performance in a compact unit. It combines the speed required for industrial integrated Phased-Array Ultrasound (PAUT) solutions, with the most complete set of total focusing method (TFM) imaging techniques, making it the ultimate tool for R&D and procedure qualification.
>

Ultrasonic Testing Immersion Tanks with Unmatched Scanning Features

TecScan’s non-destructive testing Ultrasonic Immersion Tanks & scanners are designed for high pe
rformance and demanding NDT testing applications. Our Scan3D™ line of High Precision Immersion Tanks are specifically designed for automated ultrasonic testing of complex composites parts used in aerospace and industrial applications.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window