where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

GB Inspection Systems Ltd.
A leading UK manufacturer of Ultrasonic Probes, Accessories, Supplier of NDT Equipment and more.

Technical Discussions
anjafo
NDT Inspector
Norway, Joined Aug 2009, 204

anjafo

NDT Inspector
Norway,
Joined Aug 2009
21:58 Aug-15-2009
hammer union (weco/fig) inspection

Hi,

Is there a recognised standard that deals with these? API etc...

We perform fluorescent MPI but only on the male connection.
The female connections receives a visual.
The body sometimes receives a wall thickness check (on the more corroded items)
The customer has go or no go gauges but I don't think they it unless mechanical damage is noted.

Can anyone more knowlageble on these items elaborate?

Roger Duwe
NDT Inspector, API-510, 570, 653
MISTRAS, USA, Joined Jan 2009, 148

Roger Duwe

NDT Inspector, API-510, 570, 653
MISTRAS,
USA,
Joined Jan 2009
02:56 Aug-17-2009
Re: hammer union (weco/fig) inspection
In Reply to anjafo at 21:58 Aug-15-2009 (Opening).

Being a high-reliability pressure part, I would hydrostatically test them, to at least the manufacturer's full rated pressure. My preference would be 1.5 times rated pressure. Make sure ALL air is purged before pressuring up, stay well back, etc.

anjafo
NDT Inspector
Norway, Joined Aug 2009, 204

anjafo

NDT Inspector
Norway,
Joined Aug 2009
13:22 Aug-17-2009
In Reply to Roger Duwe at 02:56 Aug-17-2009 .

Yes they will probably be pressure tested also.

On more investigation I think API 6 cover these sort of items as christmas tree / wellhead items. Loose Connectors, Flaged and threaded. Its a huge spec though covering many things though.

Hardness test is required on all new welds.

I think I will use this as the spec unless advised otherwise.

Mike Cornelssen
Mike Cornelssen
17:26 Sep-30-2009
In Reply to anjafo at 13:22 Aug-17-2009 .

The WECO union is not recognized in API as a standard. This union is a proprietary design used by many oilfield service companies. Using API 6A as a NDE guideline and hydro guideline would be a good approach.

The biggest concern with these is the possible mis-connection assy using lower pressure rated components with the higher rated components. There are some possible connections that combine these....so be aware. I believe there is info on the web describing such.

Product Spotlight

Ultrasonic tomograph for imaging of concrete structures А1040 MIRA

Applicable for concrete inspection allowing imaging of the internal structure of objects from conc
rete, reinforced concrete, different stones. The operation applies pulse-echo technique at one-side access to the object. The instrument is feasible for concrete inspection for searching conduct ducts, conduits, detection of foreign inclusions, holes, honeycombing, cracks and other concrete defects.
>

HARDNESS TESTER TKM-459CE combi

TKM-459CE combi applies 2 methods of hardness control: UCI and Leeb. It provides high-accuracy tes
ting of metals and alloys as well as items of different sizes and configurations, their hardened layers and galvanic coatings. Device represents results in HB, HRC, HV and others. Shock-, dust- and water-proof housing with intuitive software make this gauge easy to use in all working conditions.
>

PROlineTOP Plug & Play Ultrasonic inspection device

As Plug & Play solution it units all control and operation elements in a small housing and therefo
re replaces the typical control cabinet...
>

Semi-Automated Phased Array Immersion System for Small Composite Parts

Turn-key semi-automated system as an improved and affordable solution for inspection of small comp
osite parts. Includes support table, immersion tank, scanner, PA instrument, PC, Analysis software, database, wedge management and other options.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window