where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

PBP Optel sp. z o.o.
Weare searching new ways - in ultrasonic techniques- in creation of new productsUltrasonic instruments - Ultrasonic Testing Card
Technical Discussions
anjafo
NDT Inspector
Norway, Joined Aug 2009, 204

anjafo

NDT Inspector
Norway,
Joined Aug 2009
21:58 Aug-15-2009
hammer union (weco/fig) inspection

Hi,

Is there a recognised standard that deals with these? API etc...

We perform fluorescent MPI but only on the male connection.
The female connections receives a visual.
The body sometimes receives a wall thickness check (on the more corroded items)
The customer has go or no go gauges but I don't think they it unless mechanical damage is noted.

Can anyone more knowlageble on these items elaborate?

Roger Duwe
NDT Inspector, API-510, 570, 653
MISTRAS, USA, Joined Jan 2009, 148

Roger Duwe

NDT Inspector, API-510, 570, 653
MISTRAS,
USA,
Joined Jan 2009
02:56 Aug-17-2009
Re: hammer union (weco/fig) inspection
In Reply to anjafo at 21:58 Aug-15-2009 (Opening).

Being a high-reliability pressure part, I would hydrostatically test them, to at least the manufacturer's full rated pressure. My preference would be 1.5 times rated pressure. Make sure ALL air is purged before pressuring up, stay well back, etc.

anjafo
NDT Inspector
Norway, Joined Aug 2009, 204

anjafo

NDT Inspector
Norway,
Joined Aug 2009
13:22 Aug-17-2009
In Reply to Roger Duwe at 02:56 Aug-17-2009 .

Yes they will probably be pressure tested also.

On more investigation I think API 6 cover these sort of items as christmas tree / wellhead items. Loose Connectors, Flaged and threaded. Its a huge spec though covering many things though.

Hardness test is required on all new welds.

I think I will use this as the spec unless advised otherwise.

Mike Cornelssen
Mike Cornelssen
17:26 Sep-30-2009
In Reply to anjafo at 13:22 Aug-17-2009 .

The WECO union is not recognized in API as a standard. This union is a proprietary design used by many oilfield service companies. Using API 6A as a NDE guideline and hydro guideline would be a good approach.

The biggest concern with these is the possible mis-connection assy using lower pressure rated components with the higher rated components. There are some possible connections that combine these....so be aware. I believe there is info on the web describing such.

Product Spotlight

PROlineTOP Plug & Play Ultrasonic inspection device

As Plug & Play solution it units all control and operation elements in a small housing and therefo
re replaces the typical control cabinet...
>

Teletest Focus+

Teletest Focus+ electronics have superior capabilities than rivals on the market. Beyond the usual
test features, Focus+ has 24 transmit channels and 24 receive channels, with an additional on-board switching capabilities. The instrument's frequency range is 10–300 kHz.
>

Immersion systems

ScanMaster ultrasonic immersion systems are designed for high throughput, multi shift operation in a
n industrial or lab environment. These fully integrated systems provide various scanning configurations and incorporate conventional and phased arrays technologies to support diverse applications, such as inspection of disks, bars, shafts, billets and plates. All of ScanMaster immersion systems are built from high accuracy scanning frames allowing for scanning of complex parts and include a multi-channel ultrasonic instrument with exceptional performance. The systems are approved by all major manufacturers for C-scan inspection of jet engine forged discs. Together with a comprehensive set of software modules these flexible series of systems provide the customer with the best price performance solutions.
>

NDT Master Lecturer

In the program both university professors and practitioners will give lectures, which guarantees the
oretical depth and practical inside. Academic Director: Prof. Dr. Christian Boller
The following lecturers are not complete: Prof. Tadeusz Stepinski, Prof. Wieslaw Staszewski, Prof. Frank Walther, Prof. Giovanni Bruno, Prof. Gerd Dobmann, Prof. Philippe Guy
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window