where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Subsurface crack detection by MT in Martensitic Stainsless Steel
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Matec Instrument Companies, Inc.
Ultrasonic test instrumentation and systems for scientific research, quality control inspection and production testing applications.

06:59 Aug-18-2009
Jedispin
Subsurface crack detection by MT in Martensitic Stainsless Steel

Hi,

I would like to have some information regarding subsurface crack detection by MT in Martensitic Stainsless Steel. I would like to know, what is the maximum depth that we can detect such a crack for martensitic stainless steel.

Do a study has been already done regarding subsurface crack detection on different material.

03:57 Aug-19-2009

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
Re: Subsurface crack detection by MT in Martensitic Stainsless Steel In Reply to Jedispin at 06:59 Aug-18-2009 (Opening).

Hi,

I will answer your question assuming that you are inspecting parts of that material on a regular basis. Maybe you should get a Ketos Ring of a similar material. This way, you will be able to properly verify the sensitivity of your system and will know exactly how deep you can go. The drawing can be found in ASTM E1444.

06:46 Aug-19-2009

John Brunk

Engineering, NDT Level III
Self employed, part-time,
USA,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: Subsurface crack detection by MT in Martensitic Stainsless Steel In Reply to Jedispin at 06:59 Aug-18-2009 (Opening).

Martensitic stainless steels, including maraging steel that has not been heat
treated to reform a substantial percentage of austenite, has extremely
limited depth of penetration for very low-frequency eddy current inspection.
Based on this I would be surprised if you could detect subsurface defects with
an electromagnetic yoke. With full-wave rectified current and high amperage
and a Ketos-type ring as Michel suggested, you might find an answer that
pleases you. There are both ferromagnetic and non-ferromagnetic forms of
martensite, but the ferromagnetic form structure often predominates, especially
in maraging steels.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|