where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Nima
Nima
07:13 Aug-21-2009
Calculation of Phased Array Beam pattern

Dear friends

I need to have a formulation for beam pattern of US Phased Array probes and I don't know how to calculate it.
Actually I want to use beam pattern in a MATLAB simulation for investigating effect of ultrasound on an electric system.

in the next step we have to validate our simulation through practical experiments, so simulations and beam pattern formulation should be realistic.

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Nima

Richard Freemantle
NDT Inspector, Consultant, R&D
Wavelength NDT Limited, United Kingdom, Joined Nov 1998, 16

Richard Freemantle

NDT Inspector, Consultant, R&D
Wavelength NDT Limited,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 1998
12:49 Aug-21-2009
Re: Calculation of Phased Array Beam pattern
In Reply to Nima at 07:13 Aug-21-2009 (Opening).

Hi Nima,

You could investigate using Ultrasim which is a MATLAB tool. I have seen very good results using this code with a good correlation between the predicted and measured beam patterns. I used a needle hydrophone to measure the beam pattern from the phased array probe and was impressed with the accuracy of the Ultrasim simulation.

http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/1335

Best regards,

Richard

Nima
Nima
07:06 Aug-27-2009
Re: Calculation of Phased Array Beam pattern
In Reply to Richard Freemantle at 12:49 Aug-21-2009 .

Hi

Thanks a lot for the very helpful information.
I downloaded ultrasim and reviewed it's user manual. It should be very helpful, if the results are realistic.

Actually I am trying to simulate acousto-electric effect in my project, initially in an spheric model. So I need to use ultrasim output results in my MATLAB code and Ultrasim graphic user interface is not enough for me.

Actually I need to have 3D Ultrasonic vibrations in the whole spheric media to calculate it's interaction with electric signals ( time - space distribution of ultrasonic waves ).
Could you please give me some more information about the output parameters which are shown in plot window and core functions (m files) that are responsible for main field calculations?

Regards
Nima

Product Spotlight

FAAST-PA! OEM Patented phased Array for high speed UT inspection

Multiangle, Multifocus, Multifrequency, Multibeam. Instead of stacking UT electronics and having m
any PA probes, FAAST-PA is able to transmit all delay laws within ONE single shot in Real time.
>

Research and Application Development For NDT

Acuren’s Research and Application Development specializes in the development of advanced ultraso
nic inspection techniques and systems for challenging inspection applications, with an emphasis on practical solutions which are field deployable. Services include manual and automated ultrasonic inspection system development, inspection technique optimization using laboratory scale studies and ultrasonic modeling (CIVA, BeamTool), preparing technical justification for technique evaluation and qualification (Probability of Detection and sizing accuracy studies), inspection/calibration/analysis procedure preparation to support field deployment of custom techniques, and development of custom imaging algorithms to support challenging inspection applications.
>

High-performance Linear Phased Array Probes

Available to order from stock in a range of 5MHz – 7.5MHz and from 16 to 64 elements. Designed w
ith piezo-composite elements, Phoenix phased array probes provide high-resolution imaging to maximise sensitivity; accurate ultrasonic detection and sizing of defects in welds; and effective corrosion mapping. Housed in a rugged stainless steel case for on-site industrial NDT applications.
>

GEKKO - Portable Phased Array Testing with TFM in Real-Time

The portable phased array testing system GEKKO provides 64 parallel test channels. On creating testi
ng parameters the operator is assisted by the CIVA software. Due to its modular set-up the GEKKO instrument is suitable for operators of all skill levels.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window