where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Calculation of Phased Array Beam pattern
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Canadian Institute for NDE
We are specialized in training for Radiography, Ultrasonics, Magnetic Particle, Liquid Penetrant, Eddy Current and emerging NDT technologies.

07:13 Aug-21-2009
Nima
Calculation of Phased Array Beam pattern

Dear friends

I need to have a formulation for beam pattern of US Phased Array probes and I don't know how to calculate it.
Actually I want to use beam pattern in a MATLAB simulation for investigating effect of ultrasound on an electric system.

in the next step we have to validate our simulation through practical experiments, so simulations and beam pattern formulation should be realistic.

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Nima

12:49 Aug-21-2009

Richard Freemantle

NDT Inspector, Consultant, R&D
Wavelength NDT Limited,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Calculation of Phased Array Beam pattern In Reply to Nima at 07:13 Aug-21-2009 (Opening).

Hi Nima,

You could investigate using Ultrasim which is a MATLAB tool. I have seen very good results using this code with a good correlation between the predicted and measured beam patterns. I used a needle hydrophone to measure the beam pattern from the phased array probe and was impressed with the accuracy of the Ultrasim simulation.

http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/1335

Best regards,

Richard

07:06 Aug-27-2009
Nima
Re: Calculation of Phased Array Beam pattern In Reply to Richard Freemantle at 12:49 Aug-21-2009 .

Hi

Thanks a lot for the very helpful information.
I downloaded ultrasim and reviewed it's user manual. It should be very helpful, if the results are realistic.

Actually I am trying to simulate acousto-electric effect in my project, initially in an spheric model. So I need to use ultrasim output results in my MATLAB code and Ultrasim graphic user interface is not enough for me.

Actually I need to have 3D Ultrasonic vibrations in the whole spheric media to calculate it's interaction with electric signals ( time - space distribution of ultrasonic waves ).
Could you please give me some more information about the output parameters which are shown in plot window and core functions (m files) that are responsible for main field calculations?

Regards
Nima

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|