where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

IDEKO S.Coop
We provide Precision, Quality, Reliability and Productivity in manufacturing processes among our knowledge of Inspection and measurement technologies

Technical Discussions
Nima
Nima
07:13 Aug-21-2009
Calculation of Phased Array Beam pattern

Dear friends

I need to have a formulation for beam pattern of US Phased Array probes and I don't know how to calculate it.
Actually I want to use beam pattern in a MATLAB simulation for investigating effect of ultrasound on an electric system.

in the next step we have to validate our simulation through practical experiments, so simulations and beam pattern formulation should be realistic.

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Nima

Richard Freemantle
NDT Inspector, Consultant, R&D
Wavelength NDT Limited, United Kingdom, Joined Nov 1998, 16

Richard Freemantle

NDT Inspector, Consultant, R&D
Wavelength NDT Limited,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 1998
12:49 Aug-21-2009
Re: Calculation of Phased Array Beam pattern
In Reply to Nima at 07:13 Aug-21-2009 (Opening).

Hi Nima,

You could investigate using Ultrasim which is a MATLAB tool. I have seen very good results using this code with a good correlation between the predicted and measured beam patterns. I used a needle hydrophone to measure the beam pattern from the phased array probe and was impressed with the accuracy of the Ultrasim simulation.

http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/1335

Best regards,

Richard

Nima
Nima
07:06 Aug-27-2009
Re: Calculation of Phased Array Beam pattern
In Reply to Richard Freemantle at 12:49 Aug-21-2009 .

Hi

Thanks a lot for the very helpful information.
I downloaded ultrasim and reviewed it's user manual. It should be very helpful, if the results are realistic.

Actually I am trying to simulate acousto-electric effect in my project, initially in an spheric model. So I need to use ultrasim output results in my MATLAB code and Ultrasim graphic user interface is not enough for me.

Actually I need to have 3D Ultrasonic vibrations in the whole spheric media to calculate it's interaction with electric signals ( time - space distribution of ultrasonic waves ).
Could you please give me some more information about the output parameters which are shown in plot window and core functions (m files) that are responsible for main field calculations?

Regards
Nima

Product Spotlight

GEKKO - Portable Phased Array Testing with TFM in Real-Time

The portable phased array testing system GEKKO provides 64 parallel test channels. On creating testi
ng parameters the operator is assisted by the CIVA software. Due to its modular set-up the GEKKO instrument is suitable for operators of all skill levels.
>

Mentor UT – Ultrasonic Phased Array Flaw Detector

With Mentor UT, you get an accessible and efficient inspection experience. Create user-defined menus
and workflows (“apps”) with GE’s desktop software Mentor Create to ensure consistency, even for the most complex inspections, every time. Mentor UT is the first UT device to easily allow wireless connectivity and live streaming, so you get second opinions when you need them most—in real-time.
>

Alpha Pro Digital Radiography System

The Alpha Pro digital X-ray system is the ideal system for your NDT \r\nneeds, as it offers amazin
g 16 bit images which enable the highest \r\nlevel of detection and identification of hairline cracks. While weighing only 3kg (6.6lbs), this panel has the largest imaging area: 35 X 43 cm (14X17 in).
>

GEKKO, Standard and Advanced phased-array for Easier inspection

With a 64-channel parallel architecture, GEKKO is a flaw detector offering at the same time conven
tional UT, standard PAUT, TOFD and real-time Total Focusing Method (TFM). GEKKO improves the detection, with better defects characterization and sizing as well as for misoriented defects. Some procedures require standard UT, others TOFD or PA. GEKKO includes all these techniques to offer a versatile and field-ready equipment. - 64:64 parallel channels - + 4 additional TOFD - Conventional UT channels - International code compliance: ASME, AWS, API, ASTM, ISO-EN Watch the video: https://youtu.be/kuEY_RwWS3Q
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window
s