where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions
Career Discussions >
Information about NDT job prospects
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Controle Mesure Systemes
Contrôle Mesure Systèmes designs, develops and manufactures nearly 30 years a complete NDT range of products in eddy current and ultrasonic testing methods.

22:32 Aug-21-2009
Ziaul
Information about NDT job prospects

I studied Medical Physics from Carleton University, Ottawa, On, Canada. I am without job right now and would like to persue my career in NDT. I am thinking to take NDT certification on RT, UT and few others while I am on EI. Can any of you tell me the prospects of job in NDT for a person like me who hardly knows about NDT. Thank you for you kind cooperation. I gladly appreciate all of your comments on it.

22:13 Aug-22-2009

khalid khan

Consultant
primende inspection services,
Canada,
Joined Jul 2008
Re: Information about NDT job prospects In Reply to Ziaul at 22:32 Aug-21-2009 (Opening).

Mr.Ziaul,
I think it is an excellent idea if you go for NDT Certification, but you need to have basic
experiance in all the NDT fields before you can go for the certification,look for some NDT
company that may hire you as a trainee or Call CSNDT Mohawk college Hamilton for
further info. NDT Jobs are always available and pay is also good.
look for CSNDT on the net. (canadian society for non destructive testing)
khalid

17:49 Aug-23-2009

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
Re: Information about NDT job prospects In Reply to Ziaul at 22:32 Aug-21-2009 (Opening).

With your medical physics background, it may be a better idea to take up medical imaging (Radiology, CT-Scan, MRI, Ultrasound, CT-PET Scan etc.) than go for industrial NDT. Though basic principles of NDT are same, the subject knowledge is quite different (metallurgy, welding etc. vs. medical imaging...)

Best wishes.

Swamy

06:06 Aug-25-2009
Ann Thibault
Re: Information about NDT job prospects In Reply to S.V.Swamy at 17:49 Aug-23-2009 .

I would be careful about what you hear. I have been told that the majority of first year students taking the NDE course at Mohawk in Hamilton were not able to get job placements for their co-ops, and already they are anticipating an issue with January placements...If I were you I would do some very thorough research. It looks like the opinions here are from people already in the field, it would be interesting to hear from someone that is actually trying to enter it.

03:47 Aug-26-2009

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
Re: Information about NDT job prospects In Reply to Ann Thibault at 06:06 Aug-25-2009 .

Ziaul,

I totally concur with Swamy. With your medical background you should stay in that field. Much cleaner, the hours are better and you would be home every night.

As for Ann's comments she is right on. Too often, I've seen people asking about NDT because what we do is kind of neat and clean, compare to welding for example. But they don't ask all the right questions and people giving advise don't always give all the right answer. Some will say there is a lack of technicians in Canada and it is partially true, because companies need all the technicians at the same time i.e. during outages or shotdown. For a number of technicians, there is work for about 6 - 9 months at about 60 hours a week, the rest of the time, you're laid off. Now it all depends on who you are working for, your certification and the sector that you are working in.

Like I said, with your background, you better stay in the medical field. They are lacking personnel there also.

Good Luck!

21:37 Aug-15-2011
Vicki Naylor
Re: Information about NDT job prospects In Reply to Ann Thibault at 06:06 Aug-25-2009 .

I have been trying to enter the field for 2 years. I have taken UT1, MT2, and PT2. I am not certified, because I cannot find an employer willing to hire a trainee. Without required number of hours, I cannot perform my practical exams. Banging my head up against a wall!

12:37 Aug-16-2011
Darren
Re: Information about NDT job prospects In Reply to Vicki Naylor at 21:37 Aug-15-2011 .

Keep On Banging you've NO chance with those certificates !

16:18 Aug-16-2011

Phil

NDT Inspector, Radiation Safety
BINDT, MIAQP,
United Kingdom,
Joined Mar 2009
Re: Information about NDT job prospects In Reply to Darren at 12:37 Aug-16-2011 .

Darren

Time you grew up I think New Technicians and Inspectors are always needed to replace ones who retire, also we all have to start somewhere even you or have you forgotten that far back in time, someone took a chance on you as a trainee once. As we are not born fully qualified NDT Technicians or Inspectors.

The lady is looking for a break something as I said we all got when we first started.

Vicky keep trying the break will happen when you least expect it.

Regards

12:44 Aug-18-2011
Darren
Re: Information about NDT job prospects In Reply to Phil at 16:18 Aug-16-2011 .

Thousands of UT level II, 3.1 / 3.2 out of work as the field is swamped with UT inspectors
level NO use at all cannot even sign off a report MPI , LPEN useless with out some other Level II tickets.

Deal with it !

13:24 Aug-18-2011

callum

NDT Inspector,
United Kingdom,
Joined Feb 2010
Re: Information about NDT job prospects In Reply to Darren at 12:44 Aug-18-2011 .

I'm with Phil on this one

And that's a bad attitude. Did you become a master ndt tech overnight?

I doubt it

Phil is right Vicky, we all start somewhere and people trying to put u off are just
Worried because they can't get work.

KEEP TRYING !!!!!

And don't let anyone tell you what your doing is useless

Don't let rude people like that put you off either, we are not all like that in ndt lol

Someone will hire you if you keep trying..I know what's its like. it is soul destroying....

But if u don't give up u will get there.

That's a promise :D! !!!

Callum

16:48 Aug-18-2011

Phil

BINDT, MIAQP,
United Kingdom,
Joined Mar 2009
Re: Information about NDT job prospects In Reply to Darren at 12:44 Aug-18-2011 .

Darren

You seem to have a real bad attitude sorry, but face it some one hired you with no experience when you started and took the chance you had what it takes to succeed in NDT none of us are as I said are born experts that takes time and training and experience, and every one needs the right break to get their first start.

Vicky try possible Companies doing shutdowns as MT and PT can be useful there, as I said just keep trying.

Regards

07:46 Aug-19-2011
Ryan Burns
Re: Information about NDT job prospects In Reply to Vicki Naylor at 21:37 Aug-15-2011 .

In regards to the OP, I agree with Swamy and Michel. If I had the brains for medical physics I'd stay in the field as a diagnostic imaging technician.

Vicki,

Feel free to send me a resume if you are interested in work in Alberta.

Darren,

Good luck with your job search.

Regards,

Ryan.

19:32 Aug-19-2011
Michael Prendergast

Please send me your resume.

20:54 Aug-19-2011
Vicki Naylor

Thanks for the info Darren, although I'm not sure why you replied to this discussion. Rather than being useful, your opinion comes across as that of a bitter man.

21:19 Aug-19-2011
Vicki Naylor
Re: Information about NDT job prospects In Reply to Phil at 16:18 Aug-16-2011 .

Phil and Callum
I thank you both for the encouraging words! I have no intention of giving up.
The path, up to this point, has had it's rough patches. I expect there will be a few more rough patches before I reach my goal.

06:35 Aug-20-2011

Phil

BINDT, MIAQP,
United Kingdom,
Joined Mar 2009
Re: Information about NDT job prospects In Reply to Vicki Naylor at 21:19 Aug-19-2011 .

Hi Vicki

You send Ryan your resume if as he says you want to work in Alberta and remember we all start somewhere.

Good Luck with your career, and also please do not think all of us are like Darren, some of us actually enjoy training people and helping them get on.

Regards

19:46 Aug-22-2011
annie
Re: Information about NDT job prospects In Reply to Phil at 06:35 Aug-20-2011 .

Hey Vicki,

what area are you looking for? I might know a company looking for your certification and experience...

00:38 Aug-25-2011
Terry

Hi Vicki, please forward your email to me , we are a big NDT company here in Alberta with offices through out. I'm sure we could probably get you started in this field.

13:27 Aug-25-2011

Phil

BINDT, MIAQP,
United Kingdom,
Joined Mar 2009
Re: Information about NDT job prospects In Reply to Vicki Naylor at 21:19 Aug-19-2011 .

Hi Vicki

It seems as if you are getting a few offers now, which is all to the good enjoy your career in NDT so far mine has been over 34 years and yes I have enjoyed most of it.

Regards

09:00 Sep-23-2015
M.Williams

oversaturated
you are only needed when something is built
RT= 1Sv of radiation eats one day of life expectancy
PT=Penetrants and dyes are corrosive and prolonged exposure causes cancer
MT = Dry powder settles in your lungs and makes it dysfunctional before you retire
UT= Long term effects of ultrasound is unknown

You are in toxic dangerous confined spaces, heights and outside in the weather.
Recommendation : Becoming a pussycat barber is better than this

10:52 Sep-23-2015

FRANK LUND

R & D,
United Kingdom,
Joined Apr 2005
Re: Information about NDT job prospects In Reply to M.Williams at 09:00 Sep-23-2015 .

You didn't mention the "dangers" of CVI, Wet MT and ET.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|