where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Hafiz
Hafiz
14:31 Aug-22-2009
spatial resolution

Dear Experts,

I have some queries regarding the ultrasonic resolution. i did some study on ultrasonic transducer. i placed a transmitter & at the other end a receiver probe on the verticle column surface (non-invasive, with couplant) consist of water. my reason is to study/measure the air bubbles velocity released from the bottom of the column.

if my freq is 40kHz, and taking v= 1500m/s (water), from v = f*lamda, the wavelength of the sound is 37.5mm.

so, what is the minimum bubble size could be detected by the receiver probe? is it equivalent to the wavelength? because i did try smaller than the wavelength (25mm) and the receiver probe still gives the response.

thank you

Wieslaw Bicz
Engineering,
PBP Optel sp. z o.o., Poland, Joined Feb 2009, 259

Wieslaw Bicz

Engineering,
PBP Optel sp. z o.o.,
Poland,
Joined Feb 2009
19:12 Sep-15-2009
Re: spatial resolution
In Reply to Hafiz at 14:31 Aug-22-2009 (Opening).

The detection of single bubbles has nothing to do with resolution. This would be the case, if you would be interested in differentiation between two bubbles situated close to each other. In you case the question will be: how strong is the signal reflected by the bubble and what is the sensitivity of your probe and electronics. The wave length is not significant in this case. It can be much larger than the bubble size.

Product Spotlight

Echomac® Small

Available with up to eight channels of electronics to detect and evaluate thickness, flaws and eccen
tricity, this UT tester is housed in a convenient, smaller cabinet. This instrument can be used in conjunction with bubbler or immersion tank systems, or with a test bench or in laboratory applications. The Echomac® Small is available in the FD4, FD6 or FD6A versions.
>

Immersion systems

ScanMaster ultrasonic immersion systems are designed for high throughput, multi shift operation in a
n industrial or lab environment. These fully integrated systems provide various scanning configurations and incorporate conventional and phased arrays technologies to support diverse applications, such as inspection of disks, bars, shafts, billets and plates. All of ScanMaster immersion systems are built from high accuracy scanning frames allowing for scanning of complex parts and include a multi-channel ultrasonic instrument with exceptional performance. The systems are approved by all major manufacturers for C-scan inspection of jet engine forged discs. Together with a comprehensive set of software modules these flexible series of systems provide the customer with the best price performance solutions.
>

SITEX CPSERIES

Teledyne ICM’s CPSERIES has been designed with a view to revolutionizing the handling and perfor
mances of portable X-Ray sets. Despite having managed to halve the weight of similar portable X-Ray generators available on the market (while continuing to provide the same power output), the SITEX CPSERIES generators feature a shutter, a laser pointer, a beryllium window, an aluminum filter and two integrated diaphragms (customized sizes are available upon request). Without compromising the robustness and reliability for which ICM products are renowned, the small size and light weight of the SITEX CPSERIES will radically change the way that you perform your RT inspections. And you will see a positive impact in terms of both quality and return on investment (ROI).
>

Wireless TOFD scanner

Quick, accurate and highly reproducible welds testing. The System operates wirelessly and is compat
ible with any type of Windows based Laptop, Desktop or Tablet.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window