where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Ultrasonic Baths Measurements / Calibration
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

04:30 Jul-04-2001
Dalia Medini _ Green
Ultrasonic Baths Measurements / Calibration

I am looking for information with regard to the ultrasonic bath's calibration. The baths are used in the sample preparation stage of many pharmaceuticals, but so far, I couldn't find information as to how one can "validate" his ultrasonic bath in order to obtain repetitive results.
Different baths, of different sizes, of different insrted baskets (it any), etc., change the results of the sonication process.
Thanks in advance
Dalia

01:36 Jul-05-2001
Richard Freemantle
Re: Ultrasonic Baths Measurements / Calibration : I am looking for information with regard to the ultrasonic bath's calibration. The baths are used in the sample preparation stage of many pharmaceuticals, but so far, I couldn't find information as to how one can "validate" his ultrasonic bath in order to obtain repetitive results.
: Different baths, of different sizes, of different insrted baskets (it any), etc., change the results of the sonication process.
: Thanks in advance
: Dalia

Dear Dalia,

This is not my area of expertise but I have recently read an article published by the National Physical Laboratory in the UK regarding establishing a reference standard for ultrasonic baths. A quick search on their web site
at www.npl.co.uk using the search term "ultrasonic bath" gave among many the following hits:

http://www.npl.co.uk/npl/acoustics/publications/articles/710.html
http://www.npl.co.uk/npl/acoustics/publications/articles/554.html
http://www.npl.co.uk/npl/acoustics/publications/cira016/index.html

Hope this is of use to you.

Best regards,

Richard Freemantle

Richard Freemantle - Managing Director

NDT Solutions Ltd
Dunston Innovation Centre
Dunston Road
Chesterfield
UK
S41 8NG

Tel: +44 (0) 1246 267550
Fax: +44 (0) 1246 269381

Email: richard.freemantle@ndtsolutions.com

02:28 Jul-06-2001
JOSIP GAL,
Re: Ultrasonic Baths Measurements / Calibration Dear Dalia,
Recently I had meet in Adelaide (South Australia) David Hermanutz from Panametrics and briefly discussed NDT products as well as ultrasonic cleaning baths and problem with perforance testing.
I fully agree with you it is jungle out there!Standardization is a must if we ever want to put controlls on processes under ultrasonic activity and get predictable results.
It is laughable that in 21st century, the most recomended performance test in ultrasonic bath would be aluminium foil test.
My company GALSONIC PTY LTD is manufacturing variety of ultrasonic cleaners. You can have a look at our web site: www.galsonic.com
As a small company with orientation to custom design we often take on unusual or non-standard projects.
Perhaps if we exchange opinions and ideas via net, we may do something about it.
It will be of help if you put your wish list of parameters to be controlled together as well as size of the 'standard bath'. It will be probably of a smaller size 1L volume or so with electrical instruments hooked on INPUT SIDE and additional monitoring acoustic instruments to look after parameters in the bath. Medium in the bath has to be of known properties at least for clibration of delivered parameters. With set parameters left, by changing the medium in the bath(water , alcohol etc.) it is possible to reflect new conditions as a respons of medium to controled conditions.
Anyway if you are interested to discuss this issue any further please email me on: josipg@ozemail.com.au
with your thoughts. This sugestions are just quick response on subject wich is very tricky anyway but you know that! Kindest regards from Downunder,
JOSIP GAL, Managing Director,GALSONIC PTY LTD.

: I am looking for information with regard to the ultrasonic bath's calibration. The baths are used in the sample preparation stage of many pharmaceuticals, but so far, I couldn't find information as to how one can "validate" his ultrasonic bath in order to obtain repetitive results.
: Different baths, of different sizes, of different insrted baskets (it any), etc., change the results of the sonication process.
: Thanks in advance
: Dalia

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|