where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Hillger Ing. Büro
was founded in 1984 and develops special ultrasonic imaging systems for high-tech materials.
Technical Discussions
Boka
Boka
09:28 Aug-26-2009
How to inspect the big bearing rings with cementite surface

We want to inspect the inclusion in the area of 5 to 6 mm, but the cementite layer is about 3 to 4 mm, when we inspect the rings with the ultrasonic, the noise is very higher when the ultrasonic wave propagate in the cementite layer, because the difference of the baise material and the surface material, how to inspect it? Thank you!

S.V.Swamy
Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex , India, Joined Feb 2001, 787

S.V.Swamy

Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
04:32 Aug-27-2009
Re: How to inspect the big bearing rings with cementite surface
In Reply to Boka at 09:28 Aug-26-2009 (Opening).

Why not try from the other side? Bearing rings are usually hardened from the inside (ID side) because that is the bearing surface. The other material is in spheroidized annealed condition,w which is quite amenable for ultrasonic testing. Am I missing something? Could you please give more details? I am interested because I was directly involved in inspection of bearing steel billets, mother blanks, tubes and rings at one time.

S.V.Swamy
Quality and NDT Expert

Boka
Boka
09:13 Aug-27-2009
In Reply to S.V.Swamy at 04:32 Aug-27-2009 .

Thank you for your reply, Yes, We inspected from the other side of the rings when one side is important, We need to inspected the whole ring, But the cementite layer is also important, So how to distinguish the signal of defect hide in the noise of the cementite layer? If we use the low frequency probe, It would be difficult to find the small defect. If we use the higher frequency probe ,the noise would disturb the inspection. The same job area, I am very glad to discuss with you. Thank you!

Best regards,

S.V.Swamy
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex , India, Joined Feb 2001, 787

S.V.Swamy

Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
00:38 Aug-29-2009
In Reply to Boka at 09:13 Aug-27-2009 .

Thank you. All the UT is done on the billets or mother blanks (Ball Bearing Steel Tubes) before the tubes are cut into rings. If it is of much larger diameter, a ring forging route is generally followed (but I have no personal experience with that route). We were producing pipes / tubes of up to nearly 200 mm ID (I am talking from memory since we stopped this line long ago). The rings are inspected at the bearing manufacturer after hardening and grinding visually and through FPT (Fluorescent Penetrant Testing). I am not aware of their doing UT at that stage.

We were doing inclusion control through microscopic / macroscopic examination of a sufficient number of samples and of course the billets / blanks will show up the big inclusion during a UT examination. For billets, the frequency would be in the 2 to 5 MHz range and for blanks we were using 5 to 10 MHz on an automated immersion testing system. Since I am writing from memory, the actual values could be slightly different.

Regards.

Swamy

Ingolf Hertlin
Ingolf Hertlin
09:42 Sep-01-2009
In Reply to Boka at 09:28 Aug-26-2009 (Opening).

Hi,
may be that Acoustic Resonance testing is an option to test the parts. Look at www.rte-acoustics.com for background on this method.
Best regards
Ingolf

Boka
Boka
05:27 Sep-02-2009
In Reply to Ingolf Hertlin at 09:42 Sep-01-2009 .

Thank you, I am doing test. I'll try if possible.

Best regards,

Product Spotlight

Varex Imaging Large Field of View (FOV) Digital Detector Arrays (DDAs)

A larger FOV DDA can reduce the space and volume of the X-ray inspection system on the factory floor
, enable faster scanning times, better throughput and better resolution images at a lower dose. Customers can also save time and money. With these benefits in mind, Varex Imaging has designed a family of large FOV detectors (4343HE, XRD 1611, 4343DX-I, 4343CT) for our industrial imaging customers.
>

Magnetic X-Ray Pipeline Crawler

Zhong Yi brand pipeline crawler is magnetic/micro-video controlled crawler with DC X ray unit inst
alled for checking welding of pipeline. Move steadily inside the pipeline 6''-60''diameter with speed of up to 18m/min, Max. moving diatance 5 kilometers and provide the efficient inspection of the pipeline.
>

Research Center IDEKO develops an ultrasonic train wheel inspection system for CAF

The Basque Research centre IK4-IDEKO has developed a state-of-the-art ultrasonic inspection system f
or the train wheel. This system secures a sound condition of train wheels and is thus a significant contribution to rail transport safety. The device was delivered to CAF recently and its use allows the manufacturer to become an approved supplier of rolling stock in Italy, as it meets the demanding homologation standards of this country. \\\\r\\\\n
>

FD800 Bench Top Flaw Detectors

The bench-top FD800 flaw detector range combines state-of-the-art flaw detection with advanced mater
ial thickness capabilities. Designed for use in the laboratory these gauges are the tool you need for all your flaw detecting needs.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window