where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions
Career Discussions >
recycling ndt waste
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

10:34 Sep-08-2009

anjafo

NDT Inspector
Norway,
Joined Aug 2009
recycling ndt waste

Hi,
Anybody successfully doing this. I have even heard there is money in it?

Spray tins
Developer solutions (separating the silver?)
Vacuum packed film backing (lead)

Care to elaborate anyone?

18:20 Sep-08-2009

Roger Duwe

NDT Inspector, API-510, 570, 653
MISTRAS,
USA,
Joined Jan 2009
Re: recycling ndt waste In Reply to anjafo at 10:34 Sep-08-2009 (Opening).

Recycling the silver out of the spent developer, and developing 'bad' sheets of film for the silver is worth doing. Nothing else is worth the time for a Tech to perform the necessary work. RT film cassettes only have 2 pieces of 0.01" 1/4 mm lead well-adheared to a paper backing. Much more trouble than the lead is worth. Everything else is worse than these.

19:11 Sep-08-2009

anjafo

NDT Inspector
Norway,
Joined Aug 2009
Re: recycling ndt waste In Reply to Roger Duwe at 18:20 Sep-08-2009 .

Thanks Roger,
So not much money in the lead?

Whats the simplest way of getting the silver back.

Im also looking at this from a health and safety side. The spent dev and fix should be sent for treatment or something right? Also spray tins should be separated, also heard of people catching the dpi during the wash and separating that but I guess thats more production line than field work.

We started separating the lead film screens from their package but stopped, I wonder if the local waste company could do something with it.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|