where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
on line tank inspection
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Proceq
Proceq NDT experts introduce the new advanced ultrasonic Proceq Flaw Detector 100. Watch our webinar!

05:54 Jul-09-2001

Nader A.Rahim

NDT Inspector
Gulf petrochmical ind. co.,
Bahrain,
Joined Jul 2001
on line tank inspection

I am looking for a NDT method to inspect a carbon steel water tank ( operating at 50C)rubber linned from inside. the tank can not be drain for internal inspection. So any body know of a method or have experince in examining such tank from out side please advice

the area of concern is the integrety of the rubber lining and corrosion below the rubber.

Nader

07:32 Jul-10-2001
Jens Forker
Re: on line tank inspection Dear Nader,
acoustic emission testing (AE) may be a tool to do this job. By attaching suited sensors on the outside of the tank ongoing corrosion usually can be detected. It will not give you direct information regarding the integrity of the rubber lining, but should provide information where and how much acoustic activity (indicating corrosion) is present.
Regards
Jens Forker

: I am looking for a NDT method to inspect a carbon steel water tank ( operating at 50C)rubber linned from inside. the tank can not be drain for internal inspection. So any body know of a method or have experince in examining such tank from out side please advice
: the area of concern is the integrety of the rubber lining and corrosion below the rubber.
: Nader

01:50 Jul-10-2001
Bob Rose
Re: on line tank inspection Dear, Nader
Integrity of tank wall may be tested using Ultrasonic crawlers such as the Spider, unfortunately this will not give direct information regarding the rubber lining but will give residual wall thickness measurements.

regards

Bob Rose
: I am looking for a NDT method to inspect a carbon steel water tank ( operating at 50C)rubber linned from inside. the tank can not be drain for internal inspection. So any body know of a method or have experince in examining such tank from out side please advice
: the area of concern is the integrety of the rubber lining and corrosion below the rubber.

07:51 Jul-10-2001

John O'Brien

Consultant, -
Chevron ETC ,
USA,
Joined Jan 2000
Re: on line tank inspection You need to provide details of actuall tank arrangement. If you can get access to external surfaces then and ultrasonic inspection will give you remaining wall thickness and you can compare for damage areas. Remote wall crawlers or mapping devices will enhance the data you get. If rubber was originally bonded to surface you could look for amplitude changes to indicate where bond/debond still occurs.

I area where you cannot get external access i.e. if the tank sits on the ground you can use Acoustic Emission to listen for and quantify the degree of Acoustic Activity due to corrosion processes. These techniques are regularly applied in these applications.

08:31 Jul-11-2001

Asim Niazi

NDT Inspector
Inspection Unit, Fauji Fertilizer Co.,
Pakistan,
Joined Jul 2001
Re: on line tank inspection Dear Nadir,

You may like carryout ultrasonic thickness monitoring to detect any suspected loss in wall thickness.That is the only possibe external inspection apart from A.E.(accoustic emmision). But I am afraid that it will not help you in checking the health of rubber lining.

But for now ultrasonic thickness monitoring will be sufficient to ensure equipment health.

Regards

ASIM NIAZI

01:31 Jul-11-2001

Dimitrios Kouroussis

Director,
MISTRAS GROUP HELLAS A.B.E.E.,
Greece,
Joined Apr 2001
Re: on line tank inspection Dear Mr Rahim,

Also, note, that for 100% evaluation of the tank floor corrosion condition,without opening or cleaning, TANKPAC is a well established, fast, and reliable (reliability results in http://www.ndt.net/article/ecndt98/chemical/095/095.htm)procedure based on Acoustic Emission monitoring, developed by Physical Acoustics Corporation.

As far as the tank walls are concerned, automated UT can provide you with the wall remaining thickness(http://www.envirocoustics.gr/services/ut_corrosves_eng.htm)

Best regards,
Dimitrios Kouroussis

07:55 Nov-04-2002
Sakine Baþeðmez
Re: on line underground tank inspection Dear Sirs
I would like to have some information about the ultrasonic inspection of the underground tanks.
Kind regards

Sakine Baþeðmez

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|