where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

TWI
TWI is a global leader in technology engineering providing research and consultancy to its members in the field of materials and selection, joining, inspection, NDT and structural integrity management.

Technical Discussions
ihsan Duzgun
NDT Inspector, NDE Supervisor
Cimtas Piping Industries Ltd. Co., Turkey, Joined Sep 2009, 4

ihsan Duzgun

Cimtas Piping Industries Ltd. Co.,
Turkey,
Joined Sep 2009
14:39 Oct-01-2009
B31.1 / B31.3 Piping UT with TOFD method

Hello,
One of our customer wants TOFD method for their B31.1 piping Heavy wall pipes. They also wants in use of TOFD technique in lieu of Conventional or PA UT methods.
can we use TOFD method in power or process piping according to code cases 179-181 ?
or is there any restriction to use TOFD under the B31.1 or 31.3 piping codes ?

Luis Ganhao
Engineering,
USA, Joined Sep 2008, 25

Luis Ganhao

Engineering,
USA,
Joined Sep 2008
16:30 Oct-01-2009
Re: B31.1 / B31.3 Piping UT with TOFD method
In Reply to ihsan Duzgun at 14:39 Oct-01-2009 (Opening).

the code case 181 permit the use of AUT (TOFD & PA) in lieu of RT, but you have to select the most appropriated setting for the examination, I mean you need to check the thickness and after that select de frequency, probe sizes and angles. Regards to the calibration block ASME Sec V Appendix III and BSI-7706 or ENV-583-6 given to you the chance to perform the calibration for TOFD on the pipe material to be inspected. But you need a calibration block for shear wave (this technique is necessary to check the dead zones of TOFD). I have carried out many inspections on pipelines with TOFD in lieu of RT, whose thicknesses were in the order of 9-70 mm, inclusive I could detect cracks generated by service (gas).

I hope this can help you

luis ganhao
Engineering,
USA, Joined Sep 2008, 25

luis ganhao

Engineering,
USA,
Joined Sep 2008
16:41 Oct-01-2009
In Reply to ihsan Duzgun at 14:39 Oct-01-2009 (Opening).

Sorry, but the appendix III from ASME SEC V does not apply fro piping (calibration block) so you need is the specifications for your block found in the code case 181, however the BSI-7706 give you the option for calibration over the pipe that you want inspect, I mean this std. offer 4 or 5 different forms to obtain the minimal sensitivity besides you can use the BSI-14751 or ENV-583-6

ihsan Duzgun
Cimtas Piping Industries Ltd. Co., Turkey, Joined Sep 2009, 4

ihsan Duzgun

Cimtas Piping Industries Ltd. Co.,
Turkey,
Joined Sep 2009
16:57 Oct-01-2009
In Reply to Luis Ganhao at 16:30 Oct-01-2009 .

under the light of code case allows TOFD for B31.3 applications but what about B31.1 power piping ? In code case 179 sect (d) it says about indication evaluation "20% of the reference level shall be investigated to extent UT exam" means DAC and i understand that only amplitude based UT methods shall be permitted and also B31.1 piping refers to ASME sect V article 4 if we check the equipment requirements under T-430/T-431 again we can see "a pulse echo type instrument shall be used" criteria. As far i know TOFD method (im not familar to TOFD applications) is not a pulse-echo or amplitude based UT technique ?
in my opinion, it isnt clear that using TOFD technique in lieu of conventional or PH UT methods for B31.1 Power piping ?

Product Spotlight

Trade-In Offer

We are offering our existing clients trade-in against Wavemaker® G3 systems, Standard (Blue) inflat
able rings and modules for excellent deals on the latest Wavemaker® G4mini system.
>

AIS229 - Multipurpose Real Time System

Latest standard & automatic real time system developed by Balteau. The AIS229 has been designed to
do series inspection in a wide variety of industry. Composed of a shielded cabinet, 5 axis manipulator, x-ray generator and tubehead from 160kV to 225kV, a fl at panel & much more, the AIS229 is most certainly one of the most multipurpose RTR system available on the market.
>

NEW - TD Focus-ScanRX

The NEW Next Generation Advanced UT platform, TD Focus ScanRX - Also available as a card stack solut
ion. Key Improvements 1. Data acquisition is significantly faster than current design 2. Better aesthetic – closely aligns with HandyScan RX 3. Improved IP rating (Target IP66) 4. Ruggedized housing 5. Connectors are protected from impact and ingress 6. Integrated stand and separate retractable handle easy to keep clean) 7. Touchscreen with ruggedized display glass 8. 3-Axis encoder input
>

Navic - Steerable Modular Automated Scanner

The Navic is a modular, motorized, steerable scanner designed to carry multiple attachments used
in various scanning and inspection applications. The Navic is capable of weld scanning (girth welds and long seam welds), automated corrosion mapping, and tank scanning.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window