where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net >
FAQ, Posting Rules.
Articles & News

19:20 Oct-07-2009
Ryan Burns
FAQ, Posting Rules.

Hi Rolf and Ed,

It seems like there are an increasing number of posts with technical questions that have already been answered in the past. Also, it is the non-registered users who seem to be acounting for the majority of these posts. I suggest that either the ability to post new topics be limited to those who register, or at a minimum, a new rule created to let non-members know that they are required to search past discussions prior to posting. I don't believe the latter would be very effective, though. Perhaps a FAQ section with items like TOFD and applicability to code cases, Code Case 2235, 181, etc. Maybe I'm alone on this one though....

Ryan.

20:49 Oct-07-2009

Roger Duwe

NDT Inspector, API-510, 570, 653
MISTRAS,
USA,
Joined Jan 2009
Re: FAQ, Posting Rules. In Reply to Ryan Burns at 19:20 Oct-07-2009 (Opening).

I would like to 'Second' Mr. Burns motion. Option #1 will probably be the best choice.

21:11 Oct-07-2009

Rolf

Director, Editor, Publisher, Internet, PHP MySQL
NDT.net,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998

I am not convinced that posting for registered users only would help here. I did not noticed that it happens very often. Each day? Once a week?

21:51 Oct-07-2009

Alejandro Bolivar Amor

Sales,
ABA INSTRUMENTS,
Mexico,
Joined Sep 2009
Re: FAQ, Posting Rules. In Reply to Rolf at 21:11 Oct-07-2009 .

I agree with Rolf and by other hand, I would like a FAQ section .

22:31 Oct-07-2009

P V SASTRY

R & D, NDT tecniques metallurgy
TAKEN VRS FROM THE POSITION OF SR. DEPUTY GENERAL MANAGER BHEL CORPORATE R&D,
India,
Joined Jan 2003

Dear Mr. Burns

I agree with you in prniciple but I would like to support your second suggestion that unregistered persons should serch the past discussions on the relevant subject before posting their questions. Stopping the unregistered persons from asking technical questions may not be such a good thing as many times their apparentaly innocent questions started some lively and protracted technical discussions.

I would like to further add that many times questions are asked on the application of a paticular technique or a problem area by giving scant details of the job. It will be helpful if the seeker gives more details of the job or a better discription of the problem.

With best wishes to all

P V SASTRY

08:39 Oct-08-2009

anjafo

NDT Inspector
Norway,
Joined Aug 2009
Re: FAQ, Posting Rules. In Reply to P V SASTRY at 22:31 Oct-07-2009 .

Cant we just make an agreement that if someone posts a question that was asked roughly a week ago we give them a totally wrong answer??

Just kidding. To be fair searching posts is never to much fun although you sometimes can get better answers than you might if just posting a new topic each time. Im sure each time the question is asked first the answers are much better.

Im not sure if stopping people posting repeated questions is a good idea, encouraging people to either resurrect old topics for new info' or search for themselves is though?

09:25 Oct-08-2009

James Gauthier

NDT Inspector, Operations Manager
GE Inspection Services,
USA,
Joined Nov 2007

Forum Members,

I agree wholeheartedly with Ryans Suggestion. I do like this forum for the most part. There are many great technical discussions sparked up here and the replies can be very interesting. I don't like all the bickering about wage practices and such though. It seems that people ask questions that have been asked and answered a while back due to their being too lazy to seek it. (It is easier to have someone else look it up for you I guess!)

Regards,

Jamie

09:14 Oct-09-2009

Rolf

Director, Editor, Publisher, Internet, PHP MySQL
NDT.net,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: FAQ, Posting Rules. In Reply to anjafo at 08:39 Oct-08-2009 .

It happens not very often that people posting a question that was already answered in the forum. So I do not see a here a really problem AND there are more important things which could be improved AND I do not see an effective solution how to prevent this. I suggest that people who notice such a posting may post a link to the former forum topic where the answer can be found. I will review the posting rules.

Let us go to other topics.

Rolf

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|