where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
cold insulation inspection
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

02:57 Jul-15-2001

Nader A.Rahim

NDT Inspector
Gulf petrochmical ind. co.,
Bahrain,
Joined Jul 2001
cold insulation inspection

I am looking for the best method to inspect ice formation under Ammonia tanks ( double wall). the insulation is PUF with aluminum cladding ( the insulation is approx. 4" )

We been experminating with thermography but we can not establish a solid fact if ice is there or not

09:39 Jul-16-2001

van Cuyck

Director
A2MS, Applied Acoustics, Materials and Systems,
France,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: cold insulation inspection : I am looking for the best method to inspect ice formation under Ammonia tanks ( double wall). the insulation is PUF with aluminum cladding ( the insulation is approx. 4" )
: We been experminating with thermography but we can not establish a solid fact if ice is there or not

Can you send me a mare detailled description of your system. (configuration, equipements ...)

09:11 Jul-16-2001

John O'Brien

Consultant, -
Chevron ETC ,
USA,
Joined Jan 2000
Re: cold insulation inspection You may not be able to be definitive about ice build up using Thermography. Breakdowns in insulation which you could then extrapolate as being a source of icing should be detectable. Be careful that outer aluminium cladding is not heating up and masking differences. We often used to do the Thermography just after the sun went down.

Other possible approach is something like Neutron Backscatter - but access will be the problem you will probably have to work off cherry pickers.

Best methodology may be to build a mock up of the arrangement and test your technique qith Thermography. Introduce ice and see how fine your settings have to be to maintain discriminations.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|