where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Mark
Mark
20:13 Oct-20-2009
Cladding Question

Hi All,

Basically I have an interview on Friday and I know they are having a problem welding inconnel to carbon steel (I don't know the grades, but they are to be used off shore and sub sea), they are having up to 5% dilution problems with the inconnel.

Has anyone ever come across this or a similar problem?

It would be a good topic to talk about at the interview and i'm struggling to find anything from the web

Mark

Roger Duwe
NDT Inspector, API-510, 570, 653
MISTRAS, USA, Joined Jan 2009, 148

Roger Duwe

MISTRAS,
USA,
Joined Jan 2009
20:44 Oct-20-2009
Re: Cladding Question
In Reply to Mark at 20:13 Oct-20-2009 (Opening).

5% dilution sounds like a submerged-arc SAW overlay. A 'colder' weld process will decrease the dilution. I would try GMAW / MAG in the short-circuiting mode. It has the least penetration, and thus least dilution, of the common welding processes.

Mark
Mark
21:06 Oct-20-2009
In Reply to Roger Duwe at 20:44 Oct-20-2009 .

Hi Roger,

Yeah they are using sub arc (I should have said before). They make sub surface christmas trees and apparently spent a fortune on getting 4 very expensive machines so I would imagine they will try like hell to make them viable.

I've only seen pictures of these christmas trees, so i'm not sure if they used MAG and then got these machines to help with the work load or had old sub arc machines there and replaced them.

Not used much sub arc, could polarity be a factor? ie using AC instead of DC?

Roger Duwe
MISTRAS, USA, Joined Jan 2009, 148

Roger Duwe

MISTRAS,
USA,
Joined Jan 2009
15:40 Oct-21-2009
In Reply to Mark at 21:06 Oct-20-2009 .

AC is an excellent idea. Hopefully, the new machines have that option.

SAW is run DC-Electrode Positive, putting the bulk of the heat on the wire [and flux pile]. Going to DC-Electrode Negative would put the bulk of the heat onto the base metal, a VERY bad idea. I expect that this would more than double the dilution rate.

Product Spotlight

Cygnus 6+ PRO Multi-Mode Ultrasonic Thickness Gauge

The Cygnus 6+ PRO thickness gauge is the most advance gauge within the Cygnus range with key featu
res including: comprehensive data logging; A-scan and B-scan display; manual gain control; Bluetooth connectivity; and much more. With its unique dual display and three measuring modes (Multiple-Echo, Echo-Echo and Single-Echo), this surface thickness gauge offers maximum versatility for inspections.
>

NovaScope 6000

The all-digital Novascope 6000 is a portable, ultra-high precision thickness gauge for high-speed
thickness measurement. Novascope 6000 has unmatched capabilities and unique features including: •Superior Resolution with high contrast, high-speed color RF display •High pulser voltage •Real-time video output •Increased internal/external data storage •Programmable SetUp features •Battery & AC Powered
>

High-end Ultrasonic Flaw Detector with 32:128PR PAUT and 2-ch TOFD: SyncScan 2

SIUI’s newly launched SyncScan 2, is a high-end ultrasonic flaw detector with 32:128PR PAUT and
2-ch TOFD, which can maximize your efficiency for PA and TOFD. ● Support PA/TOFD/UT ● 32-ch PA is more suitable for inspection on extra-thick wall and high-attenuation material. ● 32-ch PA and 2-ch TOFD work simultaneously. ● Support PR mode for corrosion inspection.
>

Ultrasonic Squirter/Gantry System

TecScan’s NDT Ultrasonic Gantry Systems are industrial Squirter scanners designed for non-destru
ctive quality testing and raster scanning of large structures and parts. The Gantry Systems are usually composed of an Industrial Mechanical Scanner and a Control Room with System Workstation.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window