where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Active Acousto/Ultrasonic testing - AE sensors
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

KARL DEUTSCH
INSTRUMENTS AND SYSTEMS FOR NON-DESTRUCTIVE TESTING OF MATERIALS.

16:32 Oct-21-2009
nickagian
Active Acousto/Ultrasonic testing - AE sensors

Dear all!

I am a little bit confused with something... let me suppose that I want to design a system which will actively send ultrasonic waves through a material and process the receiving signal (after it has crossed the material) in order to evaluate an impact and a damage. Can I use the common Acoustic Emission sensors/transducers by actively pulsing them (like the ones from Physical Acoustics Corporation for example) for producing the required ultrasonic waves? Or these sensors are only for receiving mechanical signals and converting them to electrical voltage? This matter really confuses me and I would appreciate some help.

Thanks in advance!

19:43 Oct-30-2009

John O'Brien

Consultant, -
Chevron ETC ,
USA,
Joined Jan 2000
Re: Active Acousto/Ultrasonic testing - AE sensors In Reply to nickagian at 16:32 Oct-21-2009 (Opening).

You can design sensors that pulse and receive in the AE frequency range it depends on what you are looking for in terms of repsonse. Its more common to excite a wave from another source i.e an impact and measure the wave modes propogated. It's all in the sensor design as many sensors in Ae are also sensitive to direction of the wave mode dependent on whether you are looking at waves in the longitudnal, shear of rayleigh mode.
You nee dto tak with the sensor manufacturers more about what you want to do.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|