where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
anjafo
NDT Inspector
Norway, Joined Aug 2009, 204

anjafo

NDT Inspector
Norway,
Joined Aug 2009
11:25 Oct-28-2009
ndt of cladding

Hi,
I have some experience with this. Usually the cladding has been used to build up a seal face before machining.

After machining we perform MPI or DPI checking for defects. Here we almost always find indications in the bond/fusion area between parent material and new cladding material. Both methods show indications. Usually a light machining will remove the indication but generally as its a seal area and been machined down this is not welcome by customer. You can actually see the fused line very well after machining.

Does anyone have experience on what is causing these indications?

Its an expensive process, welding, machining, checking etc so its difficult to just tell customers there is an rejectable indication and leave. Also difficult to leave indications in the item unidentified.

I have also done UT to check fusion between parent and weld materials sometimes but the item needs to be correct geometry for this.

I know wall thickness can be checked by different methods also.

Phil
NDT Inspector, Radiation Safety
BINDT, MIAQP, United Kingdom, Joined Mar 2009, 151

Phil

NDT Inspector, Radiation Safety
BINDT, MIAQP,
United Kingdom,
Joined Mar 2009
20:33 Nov-01-2009
Re: ndt of cladding
In Reply to anjafo at 11:25 Oct-28-2009 (Opening).

Hi Anjafo,

I have also done some work on what you call cladding, we have called Buttering, I am sure it is know by other names, I have done MT and PT, on it.

I would say lack of cleaning between runs, would leave slag behind and as so ypur indication

Regards,

Michel Couture
NDT Inspector,
consultant, Canada, Joined Sep 2006, 834

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
22:02 Nov-03-2009
In Reply to anjafo at 11:25 Oct-28-2009 (Opening).

Anjafo,

Were I used to work, we did this on Steam Generators tube sheets. We did sometimes have problems and it was always related to the welding process. But we didn't experience the type of defect that you are experiencing. I suggest maybe to have your welding engineer review the procedure and change some of the parameters such a rate of deposit and your amperage.

anjafo79
NDT Inspector
Norway, Joined Aug 2009, 204

anjafo79

NDT Inspector
Norway,
Joined Aug 2009
11:01 Nov-04-2009
In Reply to Michel Couture at 22:02 Nov-03-2009 .

I am going to try get a picture of the next one we test. Will take a little time though.

Problem is indication appears with DPI also.

Product Spotlight

High-performance Linear Phased Array Probes

Available to order from stock in a range of 5MHz – 7.5MHz and from 16 to 64 elements. Designed w
ith piezo-composite elements, Phoenix phased array probes provide high-resolution imaging to maximise sensitivity; accurate ultrasonic detection and sizing of defects in welds; and effective corrosion mapping. Housed in a rugged stainless steel case for on-site industrial NDT applications.
>

Research and Applications Development For NDT

The Research and Applications Development (RAD) group is a newly formed team within Acuren dedicat
ed to tackling challenging inspection problems. Our focus is the development of novel, field deployable, advanced inspection techniques for use in cases where standard NDT methods are ineffective. We don't wait for new innovations, we engineer them. From concept to commissioning.
>

IntraPhase Athena Phased Array System

The Athena Phased Array system, manufactured by WesDyne NDE Products & Technology, consists of a pha
sed array acquisition system and PC running IntraSpect software. A PC is used to perform acquisition, analysis and storage of the data. System hardware is capable of operating up to four data sets with any combination of phased array or conventional UT probes. NOW AVAILABLE IN 64-64 CONFIGURATION.
>

Wireless TOFD scanner

Quick, accurate and highly reproducible welds testing. The System operates wirelessly and is compat
ible with any type of Windows based Laptop, Desktop or Tablet.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window