where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
ndt of cladding
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

TD NDE
TD NDE. Automated Custom Ultrasonic Robotic and software solutions. Effective, Simple and Flexible solutions to meet your UT needs.

11:25 Oct-28-2009

anjafo

NDT Inspector
Norway,
Joined Aug 2009
ndt of cladding

Hi,
I have some experience with this. Usually the cladding has been used to build up a seal face before machining.

After machining we perform MPI or DPI checking for defects. Here we almost always find indications in the bond/fusion area between parent material and new cladding material. Both methods show indications. Usually a light machining will remove the indication but generally as its a seal area and been machined down this is not welcome by customer. You can actually see the fused line very well after machining.

Does anyone have experience on what is causing these indications?

Its an expensive process, welding, machining, checking etc so its difficult to just tell customers there is an rejectable indication and leave. Also difficult to leave indications in the item unidentified.

I have also done UT to check fusion between parent and weld materials sometimes but the item needs to be correct geometry for this.

I know wall thickness can be checked by different methods also.

20:33 Nov-01-2009

Phil

NDT Inspector, Radiation Safety
BINDT, MIAQP,
United Kingdom,
Joined Mar 2009
Re: ndt of cladding In Reply to anjafo at 11:25 Oct-28-2009 (Opening).

Hi Anjafo,

I have also done some work on what you call cladding, we have called Buttering, I am sure it is know by other names, I have done MT and PT, on it.

I would say lack of cleaning between runs, would leave slag behind and as so ypur indication

Regards,

22:02 Nov-03-2009

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
Re: ndt of cladding In Reply to anjafo at 11:25 Oct-28-2009 (Opening).

Anjafo,

Were I used to work, we did this on Steam Generators tube sheets. We did sometimes have problems and it was always related to the welding process. But we didn't experience the type of defect that you are experiencing. I suggest maybe to have your welding engineer review the procedure and change some of the parameters such a rate of deposit and your amperage.

11:01 Nov-04-2009

anjafo79

NDT Inspector
Norway,
Joined Aug 2009
Re: ndt of cladding In Reply to Michel Couture at 22:02 Nov-03-2009 .

I am going to try get a picture of the next one we test. Will take a little time though.

Problem is indication appears with DPI also.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|