where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
ASME Basic Blocks for UT calibration
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

11:48 Oct-30-2009
David Bunch
ASME Basic Blocks for UT calibration

I'm looking to get some ASME basic blocks created at a local machine shop. However, I've noticed that every basic block I've used is slightly different. Some are longer than the minimum requirements, some have radiused notches instead of square, small things like that. I'm sure there are reasons for this. Rather than go through the trial and error process of that myself (oh man, I wish I would have gotten this block two inches longer...etc), does anyone here know where I can get some actual mechanical drawings of ASME blocks that have been tweaked for optimal performance?

Thanks
Dave

19:38 Oct-30-2009

Phil Herman

Sales, - Manufacture of NDT Reference Standards/Test Blocks
PH Tool Reference Standards,
USA,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: ASME Basic Blocks for UT calibration In Reply to David Bunch at 11:48 Oct-30-2009 (Opening).

Dave,
You are correct that there are a few variations of the "standard" theme for ASME basic cal blocks. This is probably due to the expertise level of the particular shops performing the work. Good shops who understand NDT will ask the right questions before manufacturing the blocks. Are the blocks going to be used for PA UT? What specific alloy is being inspected? What angle(s) will be used? The official manufacturing guidance appears in a figure in Section V Article 4, but there is no true mechanical drawing for specific thicknesses or the aforementioned "tweaks." While I am unable to share our shop drawings with you, I'd be happy to make some nice calibration blocks for you should you decide to outsource them.
Phil Herman
PH Tool Reference Standards
267-203-1600

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|