where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Corrosion Inspection by UT
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Vidisco Ltd.
Vidisco Ltd. is the leading designer and manufacturer of state-of-the-art Digital Radiography systems.

02:05 Sep-03-1998
Pauzi
Corrosion Inspection by UT

Is there any standard/specification regarding UT of corrosion?. I mean, calibration, sensivity setting, and acceptance/rejection criteria.

06:33 Sep-03-1998

Yosi Bar-Cohen

R & D,
Jet Propulsion Lab (JPL),
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Corrosion Inspection by UT : Is there any standard/specification regarding UT of corrosion?. I mean, calibration, sensivity setting, and acceptance/rejection criteria.

----------

Dear Mr. Pauzi,

There are many standards and specifications for NDE of corrosion
Most of the ones, with which I am familiar, are addressing specific
structures and they are manufacturer proprietary documents. There are
few generic documents that cover standard inspection procedures. As an
example, ASTM has a limited information in its E1004 Standards on Eddy current.

Yosi

07:31 Sep-03-1998

Rolf Diederichs

Director, Editor, Publisher, Internet, PHP MySQL
NDT.net,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Corrosion Inspection by UT : Is there any standard/specification regarding UT of corrosion?. I mean, calibration, sensivity setting, and acceptance/rejection criteria.

----

Yosi Bar-Cohen mentioned already in his message that you can find standards
addressing certain components.
Here in Germany we have a guideline called US1
'Thickness Measurement with Ultrasound' published by the German Society for NDT,
however so far only in German available,
but I heard that an English version is on the way.

See:
New German guidelines to wall thickness measurement - will be available in English
http://www.ndt.net/news/wt_guid.htm

The handbook contains information on ultrasonic testing of corroded components.
For instance, it is recommended to use an echo display for corrosion gaging since
a blind test is often not reliable enough (digital numbers only).
Also a proper probe characteristic is needed accordingly to the specific geometry
of corrosion. Nowadays are guided waves (lamb waves) used for corrosion testing of
specific structures and depicting the area as an c-scan image without the need to
move the probe (e.g. aircraft structures, pipes).
Examples are aircraft structures and pipes. But since it is a new method I think
there exist no standard yet (Maybe Ahmad Chahbaz knows more about it).

You may also find information browsing/searching NDT.net issue 1997 No. 10 which
focuses on "Ultrasonic Thickness Measurement" http://www.ndt.net/ut1097.htm.

Rolf Diederichs

05:27 Mar-23-1999
Cheryl Simplot
Re: Corrosion Inspection by UT : : Is there any standard/specification regarding UT of corrosion?. I mean, calibration, sensivity setting, and acceptance/rejection criteria.

: ----

: Yosi Bar-Cohen mentioned already in his message that you can find standards
: addressing certain components.
: Here in Germany we have a guideline called US1
: 'Thickness Measurement with Ultrasound' published by the German Society for NDT,
: however so far only in German available,
: but I heard that an English version is on the way.

: See:
: New German guidelines to wall thickness measurement - will be available in English
: http://www.ndt.net/news/wt_guid.htm

: The handbook contains information on ultrasonic testing of corroded components.
: For instance, it is recommended to use an echo display for corrosion gaging since
: a blind test is often not reliable enough (digital numbers only).
: Also a proper probe characteristic is needed accordingly to the specific geometry
: of corrosion. Nowadays are guided waves (lamb waves) used for corrosion testing of
: specific structures and depicting the area as an c-scan image without the need to
: move the probe (e.g. aircraft structures, pipes).
: Examples are aircraft structures and pipes. But since it is a new method I think
: there exist no standard yet (Maybe Ahmad Chahbaz knows more about it).

: You may also find information browsing/searching NDT.net issue 1997 No. 10 which
: focuses on "Ultrasonic Thickness Measurement" http://www.ndt.net/ut1097.htm.

: Rolf Diederichs

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|