where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

GB Inspection Systems Ltd.
A leading UK manufacturer of Ultrasonic Probes, Accessories, Supplier of NDT Equipment and more.

Technical Discussions
Pauzi
Pauzi
02:05 Sep-03-1998
Corrosion Inspection by UT

Is there any standard/specification regarding UT of corrosion?. I mean, calibration, sensivity setting, and acceptance/rejection criteria.

Yosi Bar-Cohen
R & D,
Jet Propulsion Lab (JPL), USA, Joined Nov 1998, 26

Yosi Bar-Cohen

R & D,
Jet Propulsion Lab (JPL),
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
06:33 Sep-03-1998
Re: Corrosion Inspection by UT
: Is there any standard/specification regarding UT of corrosion?. I mean, calibration, sensivity setting, and acceptance/rejection criteria.

----------

Dear Mr. Pauzi,

There are many standards and specifications for NDE of corrosion
Most of the ones, with which I am familiar, are addressing specific
structures and they are manufacturer proprietary documents. There are
few generic documents that cover standard inspection procedures. As an
example, ASTM has a limited information in its E1004 Standards on Eddy current.

Yosi

Rolf Diederichs
Director,
NDT.net, Germany, Joined Nov 1998, 605

Rolf Diederichs

Director,
NDT.net,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
07:31 Sep-03-1998
: Is there any standard/specification regarding UT of corrosion?. I mean, calibration, sensivity setting, and acceptance/rejection criteria.

----

Yosi Bar-Cohen mentioned already in his message that you can find standards
addressing certain components.
Here in Germany we have a guideline called US1
'Thickness Measurement with Ultrasound' published by the German Society for NDT,
however so far only in German available,
but I heard that an English version is on the way.

See:
New German guidelines to wall thickness measurement - will be available in English
http://www.ndt.net/news/wt_guid.htm

The handbook contains information on ultrasonic testing of corroded components.
For instance, it is recommended to use an echo display for corrosion gaging since
a blind test is often not reliable enough (digital numbers only).
Also a proper probe characteristic is needed accordingly to the specific geometry
of corrosion. Nowadays are guided waves (lamb waves) used for corrosion testing of
specific structures and depicting the area as an c-scan image without the need to
move the probe (e.g. aircraft structures, pipes).
Examples are aircraft structures and pipes. But since it is a new method I think
there exist no standard yet (Maybe Ahmad Chahbaz knows more about it).

You may also find information browsing/searching NDT.net issue 1997 No. 10 which
focuses on "Ultrasonic Thickness Measurement" http://www.ndt.net/ut1097.htm.

Rolf Diederichs

Cheryl Simplot
Cheryl Simplot
05:27 Mar-23-1999
: : Is there any standard/specification regarding UT of corrosion?. I mean, calibration, sensivity setting, and acceptance/rejection criteria.

: ----

: Yosi Bar-Cohen mentioned already in his message that you can find standards
: addressing certain components.
: Here in Germany we have a guideline called US1
: 'Thickness Measurement with Ultrasound' published by the German Society for NDT,
: however so far only in German available,
: but I heard that an English version is on the way.

: See:
: New German guidelines to wall thickness measurement - will be available in English
: http://www.ndt.net/news/wt_guid.htm

: The handbook contains information on ultrasonic testing of corroded components.
: For instance, it is recommended to use an echo display for corrosion gaging since
: a blind test is often not reliable enough (digital numbers only).
: Also a proper probe characteristic is needed accordingly to the specific geometry
: of corrosion. Nowadays are guided waves (lamb waves) used for corrosion testing of
: specific structures and depicting the area as an c-scan image without the need to
: move the probe (e.g. aircraft structures, pipes).
: Examples are aircraft structures and pipes. But since it is a new method I think
: there exist no standard yet (Maybe Ahmad Chahbaz knows more about it).

: You may also find information browsing/searching NDT.net issue 1997 No. 10 which
: focuses on "Ultrasonic Thickness Measurement" http://www.ndt.net/ut1097.htm.

: Rolf Diederichs

Product Spotlight

FMC/TFM

Next generation for Phased Array UT is here now with FMC/TFM! Have higher resolution imaging, impr
oved signal to noise ratio, characterize, size and analyze defects better with access to several wave mode views and save raw FMC data for higher quality analysis.  Some of the benefits are:
  • Beautiful Image! Easier to understand what you're looking at
  • Completely focused in entire image or volume
  • Much easier to define setups before inspection
  • Easier to decipher geometry echoes from real defects
  • Oriented defects (e.g. cracks) are imaged better
  • See image from different wave modes from one FMC inspection
  • FMC data can be reprocessed/analyzed without going back to the field
>

Magnetic X-Ray Pipeline Crawler

Zhong Yi brand pipeline crawler is magnetic/micro-video controlled crawler with DC X ray unit inst
alled for checking welding of pipeline. Move steadily inside the pipeline 6''-60''diameter with speed of up to 18m/min, Max. moving diatance 5 kilometers and provide the efficient inspection of the pipeline.
>

Lyft™: Pulsed Eddy Current Reinvented

PEC Reinvented—CUI Programs Redefined Corrosion under insulation (CUI) is possibly the greatest u
nresolved asset integrity problem in the industry. Current methods for measuring wall thickness with liftoff, without removing insulation, all have severe limitations. Eddyfi introduces Lyft — a reinvented, high-performance pulsed eddy current (PEC) solution. The patent- pending system features a state-of-the-art portable instrument, real- time C-scan imaging, fast data acquisition with grid-mapping and dynamic scanning modes, and flexibility with long cables. It can also scan through thick metal and insulation, as well as aluminum, stainless steel, and galvanized steel weather jackets. Who else but Eddyfi to reinvent an eddy current technique and redefine CUI programs. Got Lyft?
>

Compact NDT inspection-heads for measurements with active thermography

The compact inspection head is suitable for thermographic ndt tasks. The uncooled infrared camera
is specially developed for NDI-tasks and offers a thermal sensitivity until now known only from thermal imagers with cooled detector. All required components and functions are integrated into the inspection-head. You will only need an ethernet cable to connect the sensor with the evaluation system.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window