where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
UV light
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Ultrasonic Sciences Ltd
We specialize in the design and manufacture of automated and semi-automated ultrasonic testing systems, including multi axis, multi channels systems and phased array electronics.

21:26 Nov-04-2009
Mehdi
UV light

hi,
Could you please inform me that is Ultraviolet light that is used in F-PT is dengrous for us or not?
Thanks

21:49 Nov-04-2009

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
Re: UV light In Reply to Mehdi at 21:26 Nov-04-2009 (Opening).

Mehdi,

As long as your UV Light is in "good working order" there is no danger.

I'll speak in general terms, but what you have to do is a pre-service check each time you will use your light. Take the bulb and filter off. Inspect them for scratches, nicks and so on. Make sure they are not cracked. If the side of the light is painted black (this is for the old type of bulb), ensure there is no places with paint missing. Clean your bulb and filter for those light where the filter is separate from the bulb. Ensure that all the electrical is in good working order (no frayed wire and such).

After all of this is done, you can use your light. The light will not harm your eyes as long as there is not crack in the bulb or filter. Also, I would advise you and your personnel not to look into the light. This maybe a little discomforting.

I also recommend wearing UV filtered safety glasses (not tinted glasses). It will help with the strain on your eyes.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|