where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

PBP Optel sp. z o.o.
Weare searching new ways - in ultrasonic techniques- in creation of new productsUltrasonic instruments - Ultrasonic Testing Card
Technical Discussions
adan
adan
01:00 Nov-15-2009
Thermography crack detection

I have been reading of some success that some people have had using thermography for crack detection. From what I could gather the best methods for crack detection in ferrous metals was eddy current or MFL. Are any of you aware of thermography being used instead of eddy current or MFL and what kind of success can one expect? I know thermography can be used for large cracks, but I did not know that it was sensitive enough to use on really small cracks like hair line fractures.

Michel Couture
NDT Inspector,
consultant, Canada, Joined Sep 2006, 847

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
21:41 Nov-15-2009
Re: Thermography crack detection
In Reply to adan at 01:00 Nov-15-2009 (Opening).

Adan,

I think very often that it all depend on the inspection parameters. It doesn't matter which NDT method your are talking about, they all have their limitations. Personnally from my experience with Eddy Current, I don't think it is good to for crack detection in ferrous materials austenitic stainless steel exculded, simply because of the permeability variation throughout the material. Now MFL, is another story.

From what I know of thermography your result will be dependent on the size of the defect in relation to the size (thickness). The other factor you have to consider is the limitation of the equipment you have. Thermography may be good for thin materials, but like everything else, it also has its limits. This is why no one NDT method can ever replace all the others.

Product Spotlight

NOVO Armor 15 & NOVO Armor 22

The Armor Kit Contains the NOVO Armor, which provides additional mechanical protection to the NOVO 1
5WN & NOVO 22WN Detectors, the Armor Stand and a traveling soft cover. - Newest shock absorbent technology case - Water resistant design - Supports wired & wireless communication - Multiple positioning options - Tripod connection using the Built-in 1/4” threads - Simple Detector battery replacement
>

MUSE Mobile Ultrasonic Equipment

The MUSE, a portable ultrasonic imaging system, was developed for in-field inspections of light-weig
ht structures. The MUSE consists of a motor-driven manipulator, a water circulation system for the acoustic coupling and a portable ultrasonic flaw detector (USPC 3010). The MUSE provides images of internal defects (A-, B-,C- and D-scan).
>

Magnetic X-Ray Pipeline Crawler

Zhong Yi brand pipeline crawler is magnetic/micro-video controlled crawler with DC X ray unit inst
alled for checking welding of pipeline. Move steadily inside the pipeline 6''-60''diameter with speed of up to 18m/min, Max. moving diatance 5 kilometers and provide the efficient inspection of the pipeline.
>

Robotic laser shearography enables 100% inspection of complex, flight-critical composite structures

An article in “Composites World Magazine” showcases Non Destructive Testing of aero-structures
with Laser Shearography. Over the years Dantec Dynamics has supplied many solutions for the aerospace industry. Referring to specific customer projects several of these cases are examined to outline the advantages of using Laser Shearography for automated defect detection.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window