where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Career Discussions
David Bunch
David Bunch
03:18 Nov-15-2009
What is the best class for preparation of the API QUTE test?

I am interested in earning my API QUTE certification. Can anyone recommend a class I can take in preparation for this? Also, what skills should I posses in order to pass this test? What books are useful in passing this test? Would the ASNT Handbook of Ultrasonics be a useful investment?

Thanks

bob sudharmin
Engineering, Reliability and Integrity Eng
Shell Malaysia Trading, Malaysia, Joined Jan 2008, 54

bob sudharmin

Engineering, Reliability and Integrity Eng
Shell Malaysia Trading,
Malaysia,
Joined Jan 2008
07:10 Nov-15-2009
Re: What is the best class for preparation of the API QUTE test?
In Reply to David Bunch at 03:18 Nov-15-2009 (Opening).

If you surf in the API website under Individual Certification Program, a detail preparatory documents are listed. On the subject of classroom training, it is dependent on where you resides.

J Mark Davis
Teacher, And Consultant
University of Ultrasonics, Birmingham, Alabama, USA, Joined Mar 2000, 85

J Mark Davis

Teacher, And Consultant
University of Ultrasonics, Birmingham, Alabama,
USA,
Joined Mar 2000
15:45 Nov-15-2009

The API QUTE examination is a practical UT Examination for Perfromance Demonstration. It is based upon four grading criteria: Detection 80%, Flaw Characterization 80%, Accuracy 80%, and overacalls of no more than 20%.

This is a one day examintion normally held in Houston Texas. API has administered QUTE exams in China.

The current pass rate is about 50%.

I am the administrator for the API QUTE examination. I have developed the API examinations for QUSE, Crack Sizing, and the QUTB examination for corrosion of Tank Bottoms.

Go to www.api.org and download the test protocol and the UT Procedures.

Any basic Weld Inspection or Flaw Detection Class focusing on detection and flaw characterization skills will greatly help you. Plotting skills are a key element in taking this examination. Also, Signal Characteriztion features like rise and fall time, and pulse duration is a must.

Good luck,

J. Mark Davis
Davis NDE, Inc.
University of Ultrasonics

Oliviero Oldani
NDT Inspector,
Quality Control srl, Italy, Joined Oct 2008, 414

Oliviero Oldani

NDT Inspector,
Quality Control srl,
Italy,
Joined Oct 2008
18:26 Nov-15-2009
In Reply to J Mark Davis at 15:45 Nov-15-2009 .

To J. M. Davis,
which is the difference between QUTE examination and the examination required by the API RP 2X for UT operators?
Thank you in advance for your reply

J. Mark Davis
Teacher, And Consultant
University of Ultrasonics, Birmingham, Alabama, USA, Joined Mar 2000, 85

J. Mark Davis

Teacher, And Consultant
University of Ultrasonics, Birmingham, Alabama,
USA,
Joined Mar 2000
13:45 Nov-16-2009
In Reply to Oliviero Oldani at 18:26 Nov-15-2009 .

API QUTE is different from the API RP 2X.

QUTE is for general shearwave of piping and vessel components, while API RP 2X is for oil rig TKY joints.

Mark

Len Andersen 212-839-6599
Engineering
New York City Department of Transportation, USA, Joined Nov 2009, 31

Len Andersen 212-839-6599

Engineering
New York City Department of Transportation,
USA,
Joined Nov 2009
17:05 Nov-16-2009

Ladies and Gentlemen,
Contact below with your question and my guess is your not the first to ask and they will give you a list of names with they are "acceptable". Go from there.

American Petroleum Institute
1220 L Street, NW
Washington DC 20005-4070
202-682-8000

Upstream 202-682-8058
202-962-4797 FAX

techhelp@api.org
pubications@api.org
www.api.org

Hope I done you some good.
Sincerely
Len Andersen
PS – http://www.ndt.net/wshop/profile/profile.php?id=4694 (Photo Resume)

Active in NYC Civil Engineers Society www.ascemetsection.com

& NYC Chemical Engineers Society http://tinyurl.com/nyaiche

& NYC Mechanical Engineers http://sections.asme.org/metropolitan%5Fny/

212-839-6599 (O) / 914-237-7689 (H) / 914-536-7101 (Cell P)

Joel Maldonado
Joel Maldonado
18:31 Mar-01-2016
In Reply to J Mark Davis at 15:45 Nov-15-2009 .

Hi Mark,
I am wanting to sign up for ur QUSE class. Before I do what type of probes do I need to get for the exam with API if I need to get them?

Product Spotlight

NDT Master Lecturer

In the program both university professors and practitioners will give lectures, which guarantees the
oretical depth and practical inside. Academic Director: Prof. Dr. Christian Boller
The following lecturers are not complete: Prof. Tadeusz Stepinski, Prof. Wieslaw Staszewski, Prof. Frank Walther, Prof. Giovanni Bruno, Prof. Gerd Dobmann, Prof. Philippe Guy
>

iProbe - USB 32:64 Phased Array Probe

Turn your PC, Laptop or Tablet into a powerful 32:64 Phased Array system with our USB powered Phas
ed Array iProbe and inspection software package. Perform affordable weld inspection and corrosion mapping inspections with this powerful but small system. The probe has a 100V pulser, 8K PRF, dual axis encoder input and achieves outstanding signal quality.
>

Ultrasonic Testing Immersion Tanks with Unmatched Scanning Features

TecScan’s non-destructive testing Ultrasonic Immersion Tanks & scanners are designed for high pe
rformance and demanding NDT testing applications. Our Scan3D™ line of High Precision Immersion Tanks are specifically designed for automated ultrasonic testing of complex composites parts used in aerospace and industrial applications.
>

TOPAZ® 64: Fully Integrated Portable 64 Channel PAUT Instrument with FMC & TFM

Introducing TOPAZ64, the industry’s most intelligent fully integrated, portable 64-channel phased
array ultrasound (UT) instrument. TOPAZ64 combines code-compliant phased array UT with the industry’s most advanced full matrix capture (FMC) and total focusing method (TFM) capabilities. Featuring the highest acquisition frequency in its class, high resolution FMC and a 12” multi-touchscreen, users can easily visualize even the smallest flaws. TOPAZ64 can generate a bipolar pulse that provides more acoustic energy versus previous models for punching through thick components. The result is a portable tool that delivers increased inspection coverage, more accurate signals, and the ability to handle all UT inspections in one package. TOPAZ64 is ideal for challenging applications in transportation, oil and gas, manufacturing and power generation.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window