where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Robotic Tank Floor Scanning
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

YXLON International GmbH
X-ray and CT based NDT systems for a wide range of industrial applications.

01:25 Jul-24-2001

V K Dilip

Consultant
Industrial Support Services,
Saudi Arabia,
Joined Jan 2001
Robotic Tank Floor Scanning

Does anyone know about a robotic tank floor inspection device, which can inspect tankfloors whilst the tank is in service?

06:17 Jul-24-2001
Richard Kazares
Re: Robotic Tank Floor Scanning : Does anyone know about a robotic tank floor inspection device, which can inspect tankfloors whilst the tank is in service?
.NDT Automation's Large Structure Inspection (LSI) system can provide 100% UT coverage of tank floors on a fully automated basis. The system is not designed to be used while the tank is full, however - but it does minimize the total time needed to perform a 100% UT tank floor corrosion survey - quantitatively (NOT qualitatively like some other technologies). The LSI system produces real numbers in a highly usable spreadsheet format.

Hope this is of help to you.

If you wish - you can follow the URL link shown with this reply to www.ndtautomation.com and click on the LSI system.

08:27 Jul-24-2001
Matt Clark
Re: Robotic Tank Floor Scanning : Does anyone know about a robotic tank floor inspection device, which can inspect tankfloors whilst the tank is in service?
. You can evaluate the tank floor condition by using acoustic emission.This can be operated whilst the tank is in service. Their are a few conditions:
1. The content of the tank must not have changed within the last 6-12months.
2. The tank should not have been cleaned in the last 12 months
3. The 'flow' in and from the tank must be shut down at least 24 hours prior to the test.
4. There are some enviromental limits also i.e heavy rain or elevated temperatures can hinder the results.
5. Access around the full perimiter of the tank must be available and local areas of insulation need to be removed to access probe points.
.Note the survey will confirm thickness but has and does confirm condition and proffesional evaluation can determine if a follow up intrusive survey is required.

08:29 Jul-24-2001
Matt Clark
Re: Robotic Tank Floor Scanning : : Does anyone know about a robotic tank floor inspection device, which can inspect tankfloors whilst the tank is in service?
: . You can evaluate the tank floor condition by using acoustic emission.This can be operated whilst the tank is in service. Their are a few conditions:
: 1. The content of the tank must not have changed within the last 6-12months.
: 2. The tank should not have been cleaned in the last 12 months
: 3. The 'flow' in and from the tank must be shut down at least 24 hours prior to the test.
: 4. There are some enviromental limits also i.e heavy rain or elevated temperatures can hinder the results.
: 5. Access around the full perimiter of the tank must be available and local areas of insulation need to be removed to access probe points.
: .Note the survey will not confirm thickness but has and does confirm condition and proffesional evaluation can determine if a follow up intrusive survey is required.
.PLEASE NOTE CHANGE - '****NOT CONFIRM THICKNESS****

01:52 Jul-24-2001

John O'Brien

Consultant, -
Chevron ETC ,
USA,
Joined Jan 2000
Re: Robotic Tank Floor Scanning There are three established robots
InTank USA
SOLEX Robotics USA
Raytheon Engineers USA

Additionally there is a Franco/German project with little reported track record and a new European Funded Development Project with South Bank University UK.
The first three have practical experience. Be aware that the robots have limitations on types of product, tank cleanliness etc. and are not generally aimed at heavy crude oil tanks.
The tools are also very expensive and as such a statistical sampling approach is used. You should study litreature as to the pros and cons of statistical sampling of tank floors. Whilst some operators favour this approach there are a number of reported tank failures subsequent to statistical sampled floor inspection.

Other operators are using the approach of ranking tank floor condition with Acoustic Emission and then sending the robot to the areas of damage identified by the AE. This package inspection removes the concern with statistical sampling.

03:04 Aug-28-2001
Rob Salvatore
Resources in Oz? Re: Robotic Tank Floor Scanning : There are three established robots
: InTank USA
: SOLEX Robotics USA
: Raytheon Engineers USA

Just curious whether anyone knows whether there are any of these robotic tank floor scanners in Australia, or easy access to Australia?

Thanks.
Rob Salvatore
robDOTsalvatoreHAT[remove"h"]qenosDOTTY[remove "ty"]com

08:20 Aug-30-2001

Rolf Diederichs

Director, Editor, Publisher, Internet, PHP MySQL
NDT.net,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Resources in Oz? Re: Robotic Tank Floor Scanning Rob,

During our work on the CD-ROM of the 10th Asia Pacific Conf. on NDT
I noticed a paper which may help you.

"Life Management Of Above Ground Atmospheric Storage Tanks"
C.J. Moss, RR Griffiths, A Bishop, M Dinon

The complete CD-ROM will be published in our October issue.

Best regards,
Rolf Diederichs

-------
: : There are three established robots
: : InTank USA
: : SOLEX Robotics USA
: : Raytheon Engineers USA
: .
: Just curious whether anyone knows whether there are any of these robotic tank floor scanners in Australia, or easy access to Australia?
: Thanks.
: Rob Salvatore
: robDOTsalvatoreHAT[remove"h"]qenosDOTTY[remove "ty"]com

02:48 Sep-27-2001
alborz
Re: Robotic Tank Floor Scanning i have a project about deminer robot

04:25 Sep-27-2001

van Cuyck / a2ms

Director
A2MS, Applied Acoustics, Materials and Systems,
France,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Robotic Tank Floor Scanning : i have a project about deminer robot

And what else?

03:03 Nov-21-2001
ali
Re: Robotic Tank Floor Scanning : i have a project about deminer robot
if u can help me,send me a mail

08:38 Feb-24-2002
Majid
Re: Robotic Tank Floor Scanning Hi.
i have a project about deminer robot
and i want to khnow that can you help me.
tanks

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|