where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

DASEL SISTEMAS
Our Phased Array equipments, based on SITAU Technology, are among the PAS highest performance in the market.

Technical Discussions
David Bunch
David Bunch
17:39 Nov-21-2009
A few questions about the USN 60

When creating a TCG with the USN 60, do you simply set the first reflector to 80%, then gate the other reflectors at whatever screen height they may be? Or is it necessary to set all the reflectors to 80% with the gain control? The manual is slightly ambiguous about this. Also, is it of any benefit after recording the first reflector to go back to the gate menu and switch the gate from Peak mode to Flank mode? I had an ultrasonic technician from Acuren recommend this to me.

Secondly, what type of internal lithium ion battery does the USN 60 use? The level 3 of my company has changed it once or twice himself, but cannot remember the type. He said it could be purchased at Walgreens. He also said if the battery is removed for longer than 15 seconds, then the machine will lose all its memory. I'm not worried about losing the files, but will having the internal lithium battery out for an extended time damage the machine?

Thanks

Michel Couture
NDT Inspector,
consultant, Canada, Joined Sep 2006, 829

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
18:42 Nov-21-2009
Re: A few questions about the USN 60
In Reply to David Bunch at 17:39 Nov-21-2009 (Opening).

Hi David,

Let me start with the second part of your question. In regards to batteries, it will not harm the instrument if they are left out. As you probably know, many different kinds of instrument are shipped everyday and the batteries are removed just to prevent any electrical shorts. This is also a requirement if the instrument was to be shipped by air. The worst that will happen to your instrument is that you will have to reset the clock and date. When purchasing batteries, go with what is recommended by the manufacturer. I know they are expensive, but they are also slightly different than Walgreen. What is also important is the mA/hours rating. Batteries for USN60 and other instrument should have about 400 mA/H. You can use batteries with lower capacity, but your instrument will not last an 8 hour shift on a charge.

As for your switching your signals from Peak to Flank, it think you may end up with some discrepency in your setting. Maybe I'm old school, but I was taught, that you should always set all the parameters of your instrument first and then, finish with your TCG or DAC as the case mayb be. Now as for Peak or Flank, I think that the Flank is better if you are setting up for thickness readings and that you take the your readings at the same amplitude when calibrate your time base.

For setting up the TCG, I"m not so sure, but I believe that like with other instrument, each point of your TCG should be set individually, otherwise how would the instrument know of your settings unlike a DAC curve where the first point is at 80% and the others deminish in amplitude with their depth.

Another tid bit of advise. When building your TCG, I wouldn't bring my first point to 80% using the gain, specially if this is a setting that you will be working with on a regular basis. Instead, bring your first point to about 60 - 70% and set this as your Reference Gain. Then, ajust your point with while making the TCG to 80% FSH and carry on with the other point of your TCG to 80% as well. This way, if you have a slight flunctuation on your first point, you will have a little bit of room to adjust that point by simply changing the TCG gain for that point, otherwise, you may have to redo your TCG all together.

David Bunch
David Bunch
19:32 Nov-21-2009
In Reply to Michel Couture at 18:42 Nov-21-2009 .

Wow, thank you for the quick response. Very useful information on the TCG setup.

The battery I am referring to is not the actual battery pack on the USN 60, but a small watch sized battery inside the machine. It is about the size of a quarter, and the thickness of one too. This battery has been dead for quite a while now, and I need to replace it in order to upgrade the firmware of my machine. I am still operating on the 2003 software, whereas GE Inspections put out an update in 2007.

Joe Buckley
Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT, United Kingdom, Joined Oct 1999, 519

Joe Buckley

Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
21:06 Nov-21-2009
In Reply to David Bunch at 19:32 Nov-21-2009 .

Sounds like that is the memory back up battery, if it can be obtained a walgreens I'm guessing thats just a standard lithium coin cell, which is NOT rechargable, so if its completely dead it doesn't really matter if you take it out for 15 seconds or 15 weeks - the instrument will not retain settings when switched off, This should be replaced regularly when the equipment is calibrated so I'm not sue how its got to that stage. If the back up battery is dead you can get all kinds of strange things happening, (with any computer based equipment) so I would replace it regularly if this is not done at calibration time.

On the TCG The level set shouldn't be critical, as long as you start with the first echo high enough to trigger the gate the instrument should take care of everything else, setting the gain automatically as you work though the points. I'm not too familiar with the USN60, but it works like that on ours and on other GE sets I've used.

James Gauthier
NDT Inspector, Operations Manager
GE Inspection Services, USA, Joined Nov 2007, 25

James Gauthier

NDT Inspector, Operations Manager
GE Inspection Services,
USA,
Joined Nov 2007
16:24 Nov-23-2009

When creating the TCG/DAC with a USN60: after your initial point is captured (wherever you have decided to capture the point-most use 80%FSH) any point collected after is quite easy.

The first point established the reference gain setting. As you pull the probe further and further away (and each subsequent data point gets lower and lower, you can adjust the gain setting and bring the signal up where it can be easily seen. You will not affect the calibration as every point after the initial one is corrected to the reference gain.

So if you are having troubles with capturing the points that are close to the baseline than just raise the gain a capture. After you have finished the point collection, the USN60 will draw the TCG/DAC accordingly.

jaime
jaime
15:17 Sep-29-2015
In Reply to Joe Buckley at 21:06 Nov-21-2009 .

I was inquiring about an issue that we came across with the USN60. When
selecting batteries we noticed
That there are three selections in the USN 60
MENU.(NI-CAD, NImh and Alclaline). We did not see a selection for
the lithium ion battery. Will this affect the battery
life, charging or safety hazard? Also which selection should be chosen
when charging a lithium ion battery since it is not on
the menu.

Joe Buckley
Level X NDT, BINDT, United Kingdom, Joined Oct 1999, 519

Joe Buckley

Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
01:41 Sep-30-2015
In Reply to jaime at 15:17 Sep-29-2015 .

Hi Jaime

This post from SIX YEARS AGO was about the lkithioum (not Li-Ion) back up battery, you are talking about the main power pack. AFAIK there is no way to use lithium ion batteries in the USN60, then again, I cannot think why you would want to.

In general lithium ion batteries are integral to the design of devices that use them, they are not normally after-market device. using Lithium Ion batteries in equipment not designed for them can have dramatic results. If you really want to do this replacing one of the batteries with a small stick of dynamite might achieve the same result more reliably...

Good luck.

Joe

Neil Burleigh
Sales
Krautkramer Australia Pty Ltd, Australia, Joined Dec 2002, 153

Neil Burleigh

Sales
Krautkramer Australia Pty Ltd,
Australia,
Joined Dec 2002
01:47 Sep-30-2015
In Reply to jaime at 15:17 Sep-29-2015 .

hello Jaime,
this sounds like you have one of the original version USN 60 which is actually pre Lithium ion battery era.
The choice of the battery is for setting up the battery voltage cut off, when the USN 60 turns off at low battery levels.

You will note that the battery and power pack charger combination is connected through the battery not through the instrument. Which means you can charge the battery pack when it is not connected to the USN 60. If you are unsure try charging separately for a while.
You must ensure that you have this correct combination do not try and use an old USN 60 battery charger with a lithium ion battery pack. This will constitute a safety hazard and irreparable harm will occur to the battery pack and or charger.
hope this gives you a better insight into your USN 60
Regards
Neil Burleigh

Neil Burleigh
Sales
Krautkramer Australia Pty Ltd, Australia, Joined Dec 2002, 153

Neil Burleigh

Sales
Krautkramer Australia Pty Ltd,
Australia,
Joined Dec 2002
02:39 Sep-30-2015
In Reply to Neil Burleigh at 01:47 Sep-30-2015 .

Forgot to mention I am not sure which is the best setting for the lithium battery in the USN 60.
You would have to ask a service technician.
BUT you could try and manually determine the voltage cut off by connecting the USN 60 to a variable DC power supply and work out when the USN 60 turns off for the 3 battery types that are listed. Then select the battery type that would work best with the lithium ion battery pack that you have.
Cannot help you any further as there are a number of versions of the Lithium battery pack which have come out as this technology has advanced. Also a point of note is that some of the earlier versions of the lithium ion battery pack are now no longer air freight movement compliant.

Cheers
Neil

Hung
Hung
19:34 Jan-05-2016

Hi all,

How to reset the USN60? and sometime my USN60 can't turn off and all keys is not active. What it is happen and how to do when this case?

Lionello Peracchi
Other, Service and support for portable UT equipments and systems
comtec.lps, Italy, Joined Oct 2014, 5

Lionello Peracchi

Other, Service and support for portable UT equipments and systems
comtec.lps,
Italy,
Joined Oct 2014
12:29 Jan-06-2016
In Reply to Hung at 19:34 Jan-05-2016 .

When the keypad is full fail, probable it is internally disconnected. In this case, you can connect and disconnect the battery pack to switch on and off, and full resetting of the unit, loosing the previous saved set up.
For the repair my suggestion is to ship the instrument to the Service Center in Huerth Germany.

Product Spotlight

TOPAZ® 64: Fully Integrated Portable 64 Channel PAUT Instrument with FMC & TFM

Introducing TOPAZ64, the industry’s most intelligent fully integrated, portable 64-channel phased
array ultrasound (UT) instrument. TOPAZ64 combines code-compliant phased array UT with the industry’s most advanced full matrix capture (FMC) and total focusing method (TFM) capabilities. Featuring the highest acquisition frequency in its class, high resolution FMC and a 12” multi-touchscreen, users can easily visualize even the smallest flaws. TOPAZ64 can generate a bipolar pulse that provides more acoustic energy versus previous models for punching through thick components. The result is a portable tool that delivers increased inspection coverage, more accurate signals, and the ability to handle all UT inspections in one package. TOPAZ64 is ideal for challenging applications in transportation, oil and gas, manufacturing and power generation.
>

NEW - TD Focus-ScanRX

The NEW Next Generation Advanced UT platform, TD Focus ScanRX - Also available as a card stack solut
ion. Key Improvements 1. Data acquisition is significantly faster than current design 2. Better aesthetic – closely aligns with HandyScan RX 3. Improved IP rating (Target IP66) 4. Ruggedized housing 5. Connectors are protected from impact and ingress 6. Integrated stand and separate retractable handle easy to keep clean) 7. Touchscreen with ruggedized display glass 8. 3-Axis encoder input
>

IRIS 9000Plus - Introducing the next generation of heat exchanger inspection.

Representing the seventh generation of the IRIS system, the IRIS 9000 Plus has nearly 200 years of c
ombined field inspection experience incorporated in its design. This experience combined with a strong commitment to quality and a history of innovation has made Iris Inspection Services® the undisputed leader in IRIS technology.
>

Swift & Scorpion2 - a state-of-the-art remote-control ultrasonic crawler

The Swift and Scorpion2 dry-coupled, remote-access ultrasonic crawler bring major efficiency and d
ata improvements to tank shell inspections and other structures such as vessels and offshore installations.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window