where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
pipe surface crack
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

FI Test- und Messtechnik GmbH

11:40 Dec-12-2009
samit
pipe surface crack

craack are found in pipes during sand blasting.What should be the cause of this cracking.Please note these pipes are carbon steel pipes.
And what should be the best method to detect those cracks.

13:14 Dec-12-2009

ezio

Other, Retired ex Laboratory Technical Manager
OMECO Research Centre,
Italy,
Joined Sep 2008
Re: pipe surface crack In Reply to samit at 11:40 Dec-12-2009 (Opening).

send me a photo of the cracks, maybe i can help you
ezio

15:44 Dec-12-2009

anjafo79

NDT Inspector
Norway,
Joined Aug 2009
Re: pipe surface crack In Reply to ezio at 13:14 Dec-12-2009 .

you have already detected the cracks. visually. are you sure its cracks?

mpi would be quickest and cheapest next solution, the inspector would be able to give you more advice.

20:51 Dec-12-2009

Roger Duwe

NDT Inspector, API-510, 570, 653
MISTRAS,
USA,
Joined Jan 2009
Re: pipe surface crack In Reply to anjafo79 at 15:44 Dec-12-2009 .

I partially concurr with ANJAFO. Magnetic particle inspection [MT, MPI] would be the fastest way to verify surface-breaking defects in ferritic [magnetic] material.

However, Visible dye liquid penetrant [PT, LPI, is the best method for evaluation of visible [possible] cracks. If the defect is verified, you can grind into the defect and reapply developer to visualize the defect. You keep grinding off a little and redeveloping to slowly 'gently' explore the defect. This exploration allows you to find the depth of the crack, determine both ends of the crack, and get a 'feeling' if the defect was indeed a crack, or a forging/rolling lap, or was a bad weld seam.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|