where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
What version of the ASME Basic Block is used on the API QUTE test?
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Teletest
Teletest Focus+ was the first system to use long-range guided wave ultrasonic testing to detect corrosion in pipelines.

01:37 Dec-18-2009
David Bunch
What version of the ASME Basic Block is used on the API QUTE test?

What version of the ASME Basic Block is used on the API QUTE test? Also, what type of calibration block is recommended for linearity?

13:39 Dec-18-2009

J. Mark Davis

Teacher, And Consultant
University of Ultrasonics, Birmingham, Alabama,
USA,
Joined Mar 2000
Re: What version of the ASME Basic Block is used on the API QUTE test? In Reply to David Bunch at 01:37 Dec-18-2009 (Opening).

David,

A pipe or plate calibration block is provided by API with 10% ID and OD notches for each test sample.

This is outlined in the API Test Protocol

J. Mark Davis
Davis NDE, Inc.
University of Ultrasonics

17:24 Dec-18-2009

Phil Herman

Sales, - Manufacture of NDT Reference Standards/Test Blocks
PH Tool Reference Standards,
USA,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: What version of the ASME Basic Block is used on the API QUTE test? In Reply to David Bunch at 01:37 Dec-18-2009 (Opening).

David,
Mark has already answered your question on an API block suggestion. You also asked about a block to evaluate linearity. Check out the Horizontal and Vertical Linearity block from ASTM E317-06a, Fig. 1. Good luck.
Phil

21:16 Dec-18-2009
David Bunch
Re: What version of the ASME Basic Block is used on the API QUTE test? In Reply to J. Mark Davis at 13:39 Dec-18-2009 .

Thanks Mr. Davis. Yes, I have downloaded and printed out the test protocol, along with the API-UT1 and UT2 procedures. However, I didn't recall seeing any information on the basic block except that one would be provided for me. I am surprised to see that the notches are 10%. I simply need similar calibration blocks on which to practice. The majority of my UT work has been AWS.

Phil, do you know where I can find the ASTM horizontal and vertical linearity block?

05:15 Dec-19-2009

Phil Herman

Sales, - Manufacture of NDT Reference Standards/Test Blocks
PH Tool Reference Standards,
USA,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: What version of the ASME Basic Block is used on the API QUTE test? In Reply to David Bunch at 21:16 Dec-18-2009 .

David,
You can find the horizontal and vertical linearity block on the PH Tool Reference Standards online store. I will send you a link.
Phil

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|