where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Buried Pipe Leak Detection
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

TD NDE
TD NDE. Automated Custom Ultrasonic Robotic and software solutions. Effective, Simple and Flexible solutions to meet your UT needs.

05:02 Jul-28-2001

K.S.Venkataraman

Consultant
KEJURUTERAAN ESCON SDN. BHD.,
Malaysia,
Joined May 2000
Buried Pipe Leak Detection

I would like to get some information on techniques available for the inspection of buried pipes from the surface to detect leaks if any. The application is for inspection of buried fire water / gas lines in refineries / petrochemical plants.

Thanks in advance

K.S.Venkataraman.
Escon Enhineering, Malaysia

08:04 Jul-28-2001

John O'Brien

Consultant, -
Chevron ETC ,
USA,
Joined Jan 2000
Re: Buried Pipe Leak Detection Inside a process plant you are talking about fairly short runs.

You could inject a tracer of some sort - low activity very short half life radioactive tracers can work well. Obvious drawback is working with radoactive substances and whether they are available locally.

Acoustic Emission works very well, sensors spaced onto the pipe say a maximum of 100 metres apart and then pressure the system. Leak signal should be easily detaectable and location accuracy should be good enough for you to identify the leaking area. Piping must be static or pressurised, control ramp up and hold period. I believ technology is available in Malaysia to do this.

If you can send me more specific data on what you want to achieve other solutions may be possible.

00:16 Jul-31-2001
Nick Marx
Re: Buried Pipe Leak Detection : I would like to get some information on techniques available for the inspection of buried pipes from the surface to detect leaks if any. The application is for inspection of buried fire water / gas lines in refineries / petrochemical plants.
: Thanks in advance
: K.S.Venkataraman.
: Escon Enhineering, Malaysia
We have a technology based on ultrasonics that allows us to attach to a piece of pipe and send/receive sound waves caused by changes in material thickness fro 6 to 60 meters away. Please visit our site at: www.chinooktesting.com for further information or drop me an e-mail as above. Myu phone# is: 403-347-8666
Thanks,
Nick

05:10 Aug-13-2001

Chiorlu Godswill

Engineering
Willy Oil Services,
USA,
Joined Aug 2001
Re: Buried Pipe Leak Detection : : I would like to get some information on techniques available for the inspection of buried pipes from the surface to detect leaks if any. The application is for inspection of buried fire water / gas lines in refineries / petrochemical plants.
: .
: : Thanks in advance
: : K.S.Venkataraman.
: : Escon Enhineering, Malaysia
: We have a technology based on ultrasonics that allows us to attach to a piece of pipe and send/receive sound waves caused by changes in material thickness fro 6 to 60 meters away. Please visit our site at: www.chinooktesting.com for further information or drop me an e-mail as above. Myu phone# is: 403-347-8666
: Thanks,
: Nick
Hi Nick

Does your technology also cover pipes buried in the seabed?

Thx + rgds
Godswill

05:21 Aug-13-2001

Godswill Chiorlu

Engineering
Willy Oil Services,
USA,
Joined Aug 2001
Re: Buried Pipe Leak Detection : Inside a process plant you are talking about fairly short runs.
: You could inject a tracer of some sort - low activity very short half life radioactive tracers can work well. Obvious drawback is working with radoactive substances and whether they are available locally.
: Acoustic Emission works very well, sensors spaced onto the pipe say a maximum of 100 metres apart and then pressure the system. Leak signal should be easily detaectable and location accuracy should be good enough for you to identify the leaking area. Piping must be static or pressurised, control ramp up and hold period. I believ technology is available in Malaysia to do this.
: If you can send me more specific data on what you want to achieve other solutions may be possible.
Hi John

I'm interested in the acoustic Emission technology.Is it possible for this technology to enable one monitor the rate of internal corrosion of pipelines transporting crude of high sand cut and pressure of about 1500psi and above.Note that the pipelines are buried both in the seabed and ground.

05:44 Sep-19-2001
barney walker
Re: Buried Pipe Leak Detection try a company radiodetection

: I would like to get some information on techniques available for the inspection of buried pipes from the surface to detect leaks if any. The application is for inspection of buried fire water / gas lines in refineries / petrochemical plants.

03:01 Aug-01-2002
Matthias Block
Re: Buried Pipe Leak Detection Have a look at our website www.sensistor.com. You'll find some instruments and a small animation.

rgs
Matthias Block

: I would like to get some information on techniques available for the inspection of buried pipes from the surface to detect leaks if any. The application is for inspection of buried fire water / gas lines in refineries / petrochemical plants.

09:23 Aug-01-2002

luis marques

refinery inspector
petrogal,
Portugal,
Joined Jul 2002
Re: Buried Pipe Leak Detection The wavemaker pipe screening employs lightweight transducer rings to send ultrasonic waves up to 50m in each direction along a pipe.Pipe screening system allows long lenghts of pipes in difficult to acces areas to be quickly screened for corrosion or other defects. This technic is used in testing buried piping

For more detailed informations log on to www.guided-ultrasonics.com

Luis marques

07:52 Nov-21-2002
rizky
Re: Buried Pipe Leak Detection : : Inside a process plant you are talking about fairly short runs.iiiii
: : You could inject a tracer of some sort - low activity very short half life radioactive tracers can work well. Obvious drawback is working with radoactive substances and whether they are available locally.
: : Acoustic Emission works very well, sensors spaced onto the pipe say a maximum of 100 metres apart and then pressure the system. Leak signal should be easily detaectable and location accuracy should be good enough for you to identify the leaking area. Piping must be static or pressurised, control ramp up and hold period. I believ technology is available in Malaysia to do this.
: : If you can send me more specific data on what you want to achieve other solutions may be possible.
: : .
: Hi John
: I'm interested in the acoustic Emission technology.Is it possible for this technology to enable one monitor the rate of internal corrosion of pipelines transporting crude of high sand cut and pressure of about 1500psi and above.Note that the pipelines are buried both in the seabed and ground.

08:07 Jan-02-2003
gaetano ghiglione
Re: Buried Plastic Pipe Detection I am looking for a device detecting position of a plastic pipe under the soil surface
What is required from the instrument is only to give the position of the pipe under the soil surface, in order to ascertain that burying operation is correct
The pipe is made from plastic material and is perforated. Diameter is about 300mm
Thanks in advance

09:28 Jan-02-2003

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Buried Plastic Pipe Detection Gaetano:
The void created by the air gap that forms by the pipe keeping the soil apart should be noticeable by ground penetrating radar (GPR). Although 300mm diameter is significant it will depend on the nominal depth the pipe is buried. I suggest you ask suppliers of the GPR equipment for the limitations of the systems.
Ed
: I am looking for a device detecting position of a plastic pipe under the soil surface
: What is required from the instrument is only to give the position of the pipe under the soil surface, in order to ascertain that burying operation is correct
: The pipe is made from plastic material and is perforated. Diameter is about 300mm

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|