where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
inappropriate messages
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

05:00 Jul-30-2001
Doug Mendes
inappropriate messages

This message is in regards to the recent group of multiple e-mails I received from this forum that are linked to an adult website. One of the responsibilities of maintaining a forum is to ensure that this sort of material isn't distributed to members of this forum.
Nowadays this is the type of material that could cost someone thier job. I have stayed with this forum when most others have requested thier name be removed from your list. If this material cannot be filtered or screened out then i'll have no other choice but to do the same.

05:20 Jul-30-2001

Joseph Pascente

Engineering
Lixi, Inc.,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: inappropriate messages Dear Doug,

Very well stated. You are forced to read all incoming
Email to make sure this type of garbage is not on your
drive.

06:51 Jul-30-2001
Dave Wilkes
Re: inappropriate messages Running a website ourselves we can appreciate the
problems of monitoring a forum 24 hours a day.

But forums are not the only source of such mailings,
most come direct to your mailbox.

The following site offers some very good information and tools to help deal with such mail. We use it all the time to stop our problem mail.

http://combat.uxn.com/tracing.html

We will never get rid of these people, but we can
make life difficult for them.

Dave Wilkes
Asst Editor
http://www.ndtcabin.com "The internet magazine for ndt technicians"

07:11 Jul-30-2001

William Blum

Consultant, Training, Level III Services
NDT Consulting Group Inc.,
USA,
Joined Nov 2000
Re: inappropriate messages Mr. Wilkes,

Thanks for the great tip on the website for spam. I probably get 30 a day and wondered how to make the complaint go to the correct place.

Bill Blum
www.brighttechnical.com

: Running a website ourselves we can appreciate the
: problems of monitoring a forum 24 hours a day.
: But forums are not the only source of such mailings,
: most come direct to your mailbox.
: The following site offers some very good information and tools to help deal with such mail. We use it all the time to stop our problem mail.
: http://combat.uxn.com/tracing.html
: We will never get rid of these people, but we can
: make life difficult for them.
: Dave Wilkes
: Asst Editor
: http://www.ndtcabin.com "The internet magazine for ndt technicians"

02:51 Aug-28-2001
Rob Salvatore [Australia]
Re: inappropriate messages Well, I came in search of info on robotic floor tank scanners and couldn't help notice this message.

Please note, the above IS NOT my email address. I think it is a fundamental flaw of this open forum that an email address must be entered in order to post a message because Spammers LOVE usenet and open forums like this one! They have spider programs that search the net looking for obvious email addresses in post headers or text and also in "mail to:" links on websites. These email addresses then end up on spam databases.

A lot of folk have now resorted to burying or coding their email address as I have below, which tends to confuse the hell out of the spider program and they just move on. You and I being intelligent enough [well I like to think I am :) ] to see the key bits of info will have no trouble re-assmbling the email address by replacing suggested components with appropriate symbols.

Thankyou for the brilliant link to the spam killer site. Very much appreciated.

Regards,

Rob Salvatore
robDOTsalvatoreHAT[remove"h"]qenosDOTTY[remove "ty"]com

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|