where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
James Gauthier
Engineering,
ABB, Inc., USA, Joined Nov 2007, 25

James Gauthier

Engineering,
ABB, Inc.,
USA,
Joined Nov 2007
22:21 Jan-05-2010
Concrete Inspection (8ft thick/access one side only)

I am familiar with GPR systems and technology as we have a couple of these units. Good for approx. 3 ft as a rule of thumb (dependent on concrete type and condition). My question is "does anyone know of a way to inspect an 8ft thick concrete specimen that you only have access to one side?"

Impact Echo systems come to mind but I am unfamiliar with the depth capabilities of that particular system. (I think it is similar to the GPR)

Any thoughts?

Jamie

Martin Schickert
R & D,
Institute for Materials Research and Testing, Germany, Joined Jan 2000, 18

Martin Schickert

R & D,
Institute for Materials Research and Testing,
Germany,
Joined Jan 2000
10:40 Jan-06-2010
Re: Concrete Inspection (8ft thick/access one side only)
In Reply to James Gauthier at 22:21 Jan-05-2010 (Opening).

The largest thicknesses measured non-destructively I have heard of were in the range of 1.5 to 2 m. We haven't done such measurements ourselves.

Success would depend strongly on the concrete and its surface conditions on both sides. Possible techniques would be ultrasound and impact-echo, using the best equipment and all filtering and averaging possibilities available. To be able to discriminate between back wall echoes and other reflections, I would use line scanning (B-scan) or planar scanning, possibly followed by SAFT reconstruction in the ultrasonic case.

I would be surprised if thickness measurements larger 2.5 m in conrete could be done. If somebody has achieved this, he might drop a note.

Martin Schickert

Wieslaw Bicz
Engineering,
PBP Optel sp. z o.o., Poland, Joined Feb 2009, 262

Wieslaw Bicz

Engineering,
PBP Optel sp. z o.o.,
Poland,
Joined Feb 2009
23:50 Jan-07-2010
Re: Concrete Inspection (8ft thick/access one side only)
In Reply to Martin Schickert at 10:40 Jan-06-2010 .

Based on our experience I would suggest to use bursts with high amplitude and lock-in amplifier. And naturally also some method, that uses synthetic aperture - as already suggested.

Product Spotlight

NEOS III

NEOS III is Logos Imagings lightest DR system. With a built-in battery and internal wireless commu
nication, the NEOS III is perfect for users that want to quickly assess an item.
>

Surf-X® Array Probe

Introducing the Surf-X family of flexible Eddy Current Array (ECA) probes. Featuring unique multiple
coil sets and proprietary X-PROBE technology, Surf-X array probes can quickly and accurately handle a range of inspection applications, from inspecting corrosion or cracking in pipes, pressure vessels, or tanks, to assessing and sizing cracks in raised welds and friction stir welds.
>

Semi-Automated Phased Array Immersion System for Small Composite Parts

Turn-key semi-automated system as an improved and affordable solution for inspection of small comp
osite parts. Includes support table, immersion tank, scanner, PA instrument, PC, Analysis software, database, wedge management and other options.
>

ISAFE3 Intrinsically Safe Sensor System

ISAFE3 intrinsically safe sensor system of Vallen Systeme is especially targeted at the petrochemica
l - as well as oil and gas transportation industry. The sensor system is designed for permanent monitoring or periodic inspection tasks. Sensors are available for different AE-frequency ranges optimized for corrosion and fatigue crack detection and other applications. The ISAFE 3 sensor system consists of an AE-sensor (model ISAS3) certified according to ATEX/IEC for installation in zone 0, gas group IIC, IP68, 20 to +60 °C, and a signal isolator (model SISO3) certified for installation in zone 2. An ISAS3 sensor can be mounted in atmosphere or submerged, e.g. in water or crude oil. It is supported by mounting tools for temporary (magnets) or permanent (welded) installation. ISAFE3 supports automatic sensor coupling test and can be used with any AE signal processor supporting 28V supply at 90 mA peak, e.g. Vallen Systeme ASIP-2/A.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window