where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions
Career Discussions >
how to get started?
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

16:56 Jan-12-2010
angel
how to get started?

Hello everybody, I am new on this big field, I hve a a bachellor degree in materials engineering and I am also a certified welder, now linving in USA, looking to be certified in ndt, looking for school that offer best taining posible, I dont know if it is better to pursue and associated degree or some certificates, please any information is valuable, thanks....

02:14 Jan-13-2010
tj
Re: how to get started? In Reply to angel at 16:56 Jan-12-2010 (Opening).

Hi Angel,

I believe that hands on experience in real world situations is going to give you a better chance and be more rewarding for you in this field. There are degrees (such as applied science) available for NDT students. Saying this, working with a serious NDTservice utilizing multiple methods is IMO the greatest route. For example, you will not see the bottom of a dry docked riverboat at your local community college! Your welding experience will tell you a lot about this field because the learning experience is very similar. You may find yourself down the road wondering if you want to go and get an applied science degree in NDT or be satisfied that you have the equivalent in experience!

TJ

18:25 Jan-13-2010
Angel
Re: how to get started? In Reply to tj at 02:14 Jan-13-2010 .

Hi TJ,

thanks for the information you've cleared my mind, I will be looking for a college in getting my degree as an associated in applied science, so that way I will have field experience working on NDT and getting skills, at that time I will try to pursue a master in welding engineering. I think that should be the best way to gain more knowledge to be a better professional, is that a good idea??????

19:45 Jan-13-2010
Charles
Re: how to get started? In Reply to Angel at 18:25 Jan-13-2010 .

Im not sure what part of the US you are living, there is a great school here in Louisiana. The course is currently free to participants.

Louisiana Technical College-Ascension Campus
9697 Airline Hwy
Sorrento, LA 70778-3007
USA
Main Tel: (225) 675-5398
Web Site
http://www.ltc.edu/home.asp

I would call and ask for the NDT department for more information.

20:15 Jan-13-2010
Angel
Re: how to get started? In Reply to Charles at 19:45 Jan-13-2010 .

Thanks right now I am living in Fl, I will chek their web site.

05:27 Jan-16-2010
tj
Re: how to get started? In Reply to Angel at 18:25 Jan-13-2010 .

Angel,

I think it is a great idea if it suits your vision. The beauty of NDT is there are many routes to take to get the same ending.

TJ

13:03 Jan-17-2010

Ingo Witzel

Engineering, - - quality control
Germany,
Joined Sep 2009
Re: how to get started? In Reply to angel at 16:56 Jan-12-2010 (Opening).

The company I am working for,Vogt Ultrasonics, can give you good practical expierience and working time to get your certification. Besides theoretical training, we have manual, semi automatic and full automatic UT System where you can practice on.

What you need is some expierience, otherwise your chances will not be too high to get a well payed job.

Look on the Home Page of "Vogt-Ultrasonics" in Burgwedel, Hannover, Germany.
I´m sure you´ll find something interesting.

02:29 Jan-18-2010
angel
Re: how to get started? In Reply to Ingo Witzel at 13:03 Jan-17-2010 .

thanks for the reply I've also checked that the ultrasound training is for spotweld joining for the automotive industry if I'm not wrong, I will send a message about the training and everything. thanks.....

23:46 Jan-20-2010

Rafid O. Lopez

, NDT Level 3
Mexico,
Joined Jan 2010
Re: how to get started? In Reply to angel at 02:29 Jan-18-2010 .

Where are you from Angel?

23:55 Jan-20-2010
Angel
Re: how to get started? In Reply to Rafid O. Lopez at 23:46 Jan-20-2010 .

Hello Rafid, I am from Peru.

00:01 Jan-21-2010

Rafid O. Lopez

, NDT Level 3
Mexico,
Joined Jan 2010
Re: how to get started? In Reply to Angel at 23:55 Jan-20-2010 .

Ok, oye cuanta experiencia tienes en NDT?

Por quiero presentar mi examen de Nivel III y quiero juntar algo de información para esudiar, no se si cuentes con información de liquidos peetrantes.

Saludos.

00:23 Jan-21-2010

Juan Amado

Engineering, Inspection
Arco Industrial, S.A.,
Panama,
Joined Nov 2001
Re: how to get started? In Reply to Rafid O. Lopez at 00:01 Jan-21-2010 .

Dear forum members please excuse the fact that I am answering Rafid in spanish. This is just because I think I can transfer the ideas more concisely in my native language.

Rafid:

Cuando me preparé para los exámenes nivel III, utilicé unos libros de ASNT que contienen preguntas de práctica al estilo de las que vienen en los exámenes. Dependiendo de tu presupuesto puedes también contratar con elguna empresa o nivel III particular que te sirva de coach para entrenar antes del exámen. El material para el exámen general es vasto, y hay que dedicarle tiempo a prepararse bien para este. Espero que todo te salgo bien.
Saludos,
Juan Amado

00:57 Jan-21-2010

Rafid O. Lopez

, NDT Level 3
Mexico,
Joined Jan 2010
Re: how to get started? In Reply to Juan Amado at 00:23 Jan-21-2010 .

Hello, Mr. Amado

Are you level III?

In fact i pass the basic examination from asnt, but i fail the pt examination, for this reason i want to prepare well before submitting the examination again.

Thanks for your commetns.

Best regards

Is more easy write in spanish, but out of respect to the forum.

01:00 Jan-21-2010
Angel
Re: how to get started? In Reply to Rafid O. Lopez at 00:01 Jan-21-2010 .

Rafid

lo que dice Juan Amado es cierto el nivel III es un nivel avnzado, y hay ciertas empresas aqui en USA que te ensenan exclusivamente para eso, tal vez ese sea el caso en donde vives. Si cuentas con algo para poder invertir y un dominio de ingles pudieras tramitar una visa de trabajo o estudiante dependiendo la compania donde desees obtener tu entrenamiento, yo estoy estudiando ing de la soldadura y hay cursos de ndt pero no los lleve todavia. solo conosco lo basico de ndt pero con deseos de aprender y ser certificado. suerte y que encuentres algo. si necesitas adicional informacion puedo averiguar por aqui unas cuantas.

01:15 Jan-21-2010

Rafid O. Lopez

, NDT Level 3
Mexico,
Joined Jan 2010
Re: how to get started? In Reply to Angel at 01:00 Jan-21-2010 .

Tienes razón Angel. Muchas gracias por tu disponibilidad.

Saludos.

01:34 Jan-21-2010

Juan Amado

Engineering, Inspection
Arco Industrial, S.A.,
Panama,
Joined Nov 2001
Re: how to get started? In Reply to Rafid O. Lopez at 00:57 Jan-21-2010 .

Rafid:

Yes, I’m a level III. I did my basic and five methods (MT, PT, RT, UT, and VT) examinations during a period of two weeks in 2003. I studied on my own, in advance, and then I scheduled my tests. I went to an authorized testing center in Austin, TX, where I also hired a level III to help me on the final preparation for the exams. Although it costs more, I think that having a knowledgeable person to discuss some of the topics with and to guide you through the process is quite effective. I also think that in preparing for these tests it is better to get away from the daily distractions and really concentrate. We tackled one subject at a time and then took the respective exam. I have to stress that it took some initial work on my part as I had to accommodate three exams per week, so there weren't many hours to prepare between subjects.
We combed through the ASNT level III study guides exercises, answering the study questions and then going back to check on the wrong ones and making sure we had the right information. We consulted many reference books in the process, as some of the answers considered “RIGHT” by ASNT are not obvious until you look it up from the source. Some of the references utilized for preparing these questions are really old texts, from the early days of NDT.
So in synthesis, the advice that I can give you is to prepare well, and concentrate fully on the tests. It also helps to have a positive attitude. In your case, you say that you already took the PT test so you know what to expect. Concentrate on what you think you missed the first time, and you should do well.
Best regards,
Juan Amado

19:55 Jan-21-2010

Rafid O. Lopez

, NDT Level 3
Mexico,
Joined Jan 2010
Re: how to get started? In Reply to Juan Amado at 01:34 Jan-21-2010 .

Very thanks for your information. I will take into account your comments

Best regards.

Good day.

Rafid

00:16 Jan-22-2010
Angel
Re: how to get started? In Reply to Juan Amado at 01:34 Jan-21-2010 .

Juan Amado.

Hello Juan, I am or I have made plans to be a ndt in the future, I have a question and agree that due to your experience you will able to explain me, is just simple, is How did you start in this ndt field, and what would you suggest me to do in order to start.
Thanks for your time and understanding.

01:51 Jan-22-2010

Juan Amado

Engineering, Inspection
Arco Industrial, S.A.,
Panama,
Joined Nov 2001
Re: how to get started? In Reply to Angel at 00:16 Jan-22-2010 .

Angel:
It has been a long but rewarding process. I graduated as a Mechanical Engineer from the University of Dayton in 1990, and from then began working in a welding and machine shop owned by our family. As a means of getting work for the shop in our country (Panama), I started participating in bids for the Panama Canal Commission as was called back then. We got work fabricating steel navigational buoys, and pontoons for dredging operations, but every time the welding inspectors from PCC showed up at our shop, I would be intrigued by how much they knew about codes and welding inspection in general, and how little I knew, even though I had a B.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering.
This led me to seek out information from AWS and ASME, and soon I began buying books, and trying to learn as much as I could to avoid getting my ass kicked every time the inspectors visited us.
By 1994 I had branched out of the family business, I was doing a little contracting work on my own, but what really got me excited was the NDT world. I studied a lot about RT, which I was already doing with some equipment “inherited” from my grandfather, but I knew that the only way to turn this into a serious business was to get the proper training and certifications. In 1996 I prepared my own “Written Practice” in accordance to SNT TC 1A, and on October traveled to the states to take the RT level I and level II courses in Houston. I asked the training company to test me on the day following the end of the courses as required by the written practice and so began my journey of certifications and tests.
In 1997, I traveled to Florida to take the AWS Certified Welding Inspector test. In 1998 I went to Chile to take 80 hours of training in the handling of radioactive sources and related safety issues at the Centro de Estudios Nucleares La Reina. In 2000, I returned to the states to do 120 hours of UT (Level I, Level II and UT weld inspection), on 2002 I took MT and PT levels I and II. One year later I did my level III’s in all those methods, and started a Masters Degree in Engineering Management from a branch of the University of Louisville in Panama which finished in 2004, and last year I got into Ground Penetrating Radar. As you can see, it’s a long road, about 15 years of work and many challenges, but very rewarding. I am constantly inspired by the new technology that comes out and there is still a bunch of stuff out there that I would like to learn. I wish you all the luck, and advice you to take it one step at a time, and enjoy the process.
Good luck, Juan Amado

22:10 Jan-22-2010
angel
Re: how to get started? In Reply to Juan Amado at 01:51 Jan-22-2010 .

It has been a long way but rewarding indeed, I wish you good look with your endeavors, As a student I expect to learn all that, by the way do you know where did you buy your books from or where I can get information for the AWS inspection certificate test? thanks.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|