where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

GB Inspection Systems Ltd.
A leading UK manufacturer of Ultrasonic Probes, Accessories, Supplier of NDT Equipment and more.
Technical Discussions
Azhar Jamil
Azhar Jamil
23:38 Jan-27-2010
NDT of turbine blades.

Dear all,

I want to perform the NDT of Turbine blades (with curved fir tree root) remvoved from rotor. Can any one comment on the following:

1) Which NDT technique is preferred to inspect the blades specifically root area. As per my knowledge Flourescent MPI (FMPI) is normally done
2) Which type of FMPI will give best results?
3) If we used Hand Yoke, will this be OK / sufficient or not?
4) If there is any other better way than yoke method, please giev brief detail.

Thanks & Regards
Azhar

Michel Couture
NDT Inspector,
consultant, Canada, Joined Sep 2006, 847

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
03:20 Jan-28-2010
Re: NDT of turbine blades.
In Reply to Azhar Jamil at 23:38 Jan-27-2010 (Opening).

Azhar,

You are giving very little information as to what kind of turbine blades and where they are use. If the blades are used on aircraft engine, the engine manufacturer will already have an inspection procedure. For blades used in the power genenration industry, either the manufacturer will have an inspection procedure or the end users (engineers) will decide on an inspection procedure.

In Power Generation, I have seen Phased Array used with excellent results on turbine blade root and I'm sure other methods are used as well.

Alisher Tadjiev
NDT Inspector
Uzbekistan Airways Technics, Uzbekistan, Joined Mar 2005, 8

Alisher Tadjiev

NDT Inspector
Uzbekistan Airways Technics,
Uzbekistan,
Joined Mar 2005
05:29 Jan-28-2010

Hi Azhar
I'm agree with Mr.Couture - given info not enough to final decision
What kind of engines to be inspected?
For example - aircraft Pratt&Whitney 2000/4000 engine fan blades can be inspected via two ways
(acc. manufacturer documentation - Mr.Couture told about it before) - special Eddy Current probes with Reference Standard or Liquid Penetrant Inspection (Type I, Method C, Level IV).
By the way - all turbo engine rotating parts must be inspected by Level IV sensitivity penetrant (it is concerning penetrant inspection)
In case of Rolls Roys aircaraft engines with composite fan blades - fan blades must be inspected using special RR TAPTester (actually it is not TAP Tester - looks like composite bondmaster mode tester)

Regards

azhar jamil
azhar jamil
08:40 Jan-28-2010

Thanks. The blades are of steam turbine for Power Generation industry. Phase array technique is excedllent, but the blades to be inspected after removal from rotor i.e. each blade to be inspected separately.
There is no procedure from OEM is available

If any further details required let me know.

regards

Michel Couture
NDT Inspector,

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
15:38 Jan-28-2010
In Reply to azhar jamil at 08:40 Jan-28-2010 .

Azhar,

Since the blades are removed, phased array inspection would give better results. Their roots would be clean and you would eliminate the possibility of non-relevant indication in the root area cause by lubricant.

I guess what you can do is have some calibration pieces manufactured with artificial defects in the form of EDM notches of varying depth in the area of concern and then write your inspection procedure.

Good Luck!

aldo
Engineering
Italy, Joined Jan 2009, 39

aldo

Engineering
Italy,
Joined Jan 2009
15:50 Jan-28-2010
In Reply to Michel Couture at 15:38 Jan-28-2010 .

I speak by my exsperince in aeronautic industry in particular in maintenence activity and in production activity .. The typical NDT on blade in turbine are FPI with high sensibility (ID4) because are very critical part on engine... There are a lot applications with MPI because are sporadic case....
aldo

Michel Couture
NDT Inspector,

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
04:27 Jan-29-2010
In Reply to aldo at 15:50 Jan-28-2010 .

Aldo,

I totally concur with you regarding aircraft turbine engine. I have as well done many FPI Level 4 on Fan Blades to detect cracking resulting from FOD (Foreign Object Damage) injestion.

I have also personally done some UT inspection of root cracking on Fan Blades of the Pratt & Whitney JT-3D which were propulsing the Boeing 707 using UT Surface Wave.

The advice Azhar is seeking is in regards to blade root inspection of turbine used in Power Generation.

Rafid O. Lopez
, NDT Level 3
Mexico, Joined Jan 2010, 79

Rafid O. Lopez

, NDT Level 3
Mexico,
Joined Jan 2010
16:03 Jan-30-2010
In Reply to Michel Couture at 04:27 Jan-29-2010 .

Hello

We work with P & W (JT8D-200), GE (CFM-56 model 5 and 7) all aircraft engines and all inspection of blades (with curved fir tree root) are with FPI some with Type 1, Method A Level 3 or Type 1, Method D Level 4.

For your inspection i think that is more easy to do an inspection with FPI.

Is a commentary.

Best regards.

Rafid

Michel Couture
NDT Inspector,

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
04:15 Jan-31-2010
In Reply to Rafid O. Lopez at 16:03 Jan-30-2010 .

Rafid,

In a way I must agree with you. FPI is much simpler, but other methods like PAUT for exemple provide on thing FPI can't and that is a permanent record of the inspection. In my opinion, it also provide a more sensitive inspection because it is less suceptible to surface dirt. I mean, blade cleanliness is not as rigurous as FPI.

Product Spotlight

Webinar: A better way to inspect for surface and sub-surface cracking

Zetec to host webinar November 7 on a better way to inspect for surface and sub-surface cracking. In
this webinar, we will introduce a better method that offers industry-leading portability and flexibility, while delivering exceptional flaw detection. The webinar will review and demonstrate how this solution can be applied across numerous inspection applications. Register today!
>

UCI Hardness Tester NOVOTEST T-U2

UCI hardness tester NOVOTEST T-U2 is is used for non-destructive hardness testing of: metals and
alloys by scales of hardness: Rockwell (HRC), Brinell (HB), Vickers (HV); non-ferrous metals, alloys of iron etc., and using five additional scales for calibration; with tensile strength (Rm) scale determines the tensile strength of carbon steel pearlitic products by automatic recalculation from Brinell (HB) hardness scale.
>

Research Center IDEKO develops an ultrasonic train wheel inspection system for CAF

The Basque Research centre IK4-IDEKO has developed a state-of-the-art ultrasonic inspection system f
or the train wheel. This system secures a sound condition of train wheels and is thus a significant contribution to rail transport safety. The device was delivered to CAF recently and its use allows the manufacturer to become an approved supplier of rolling stock in Italy, as it meets the demanding homologation standards of this country. \\\\r\\\\n
>

Wireless TOFD scanner

Quick, accurate and highly reproducible welds testing. The System operates wirelessly and is compat
ible with any type of Windows based Laptop, Desktop or Tablet.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window