where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
MIKE MACKE
NDT Inspector
GE Inspection Services, USA, Joined Aug 2001, 8

MIKE MACKE

NDT Inspector
GE Inspection Services,
USA,
Joined Aug 2001
00:03 Aug-14-2001
Micro weld inspection

How would you inspect for a full penetration weld for a 3mm diameter ball welded to a tapered cylinder set. Also a 3 mm disc by 0.8mm thick is inserted into cylinder valve top and is laser welded...Cylinder wall is 0.8mm thick the weld penetration has to be a min of 0.02mm deep to accept....what is a good technique to examine directly off the production line for addaquate weld penetration. I was thinking of real time rt with some sort of optical comparitor. The image would be 10X?

Regards M.C. Macke

Dave Utrata
R & D,
Center for NDE, Iowa State University, USA, Joined Feb 2000, 37

Dave Utrata

R & D,
Center for NDE, Iowa State University,
USA,
Joined Feb 2000
00:20 Aug-14-2001
Re: Micro weld inspection
Sounds like the geometry and make-up of the part are under tight control. This assumes your flaw tolerance will be within a fairly tight window.
While I wouldn't rule out UT at this point (assuming the geometry does in fact allow) I'd suggest going to a resonant or multi-frequency test method. Either would be at least as costly up front as the RT you suggest, but both lend themselves well to high-volume production/inspection.

: How would you inspect for a full penetration weld for a 3mm diameter ball welded to a tapered cylinder set. Also a 3 mm disc by 0.8mm thick is inserted into cylinder valve top and is laser welded...Cylinder wall is 0.8mm thick the weld penetration has to be a min of 0.02mm deep to accept....what is a good technique to examine directly off the production line for addaquate weld penetration. I was thinking of real time rt with some sort of optical comparitor. The image would be 10X?
: Regards M.C. Macke

M. Kim Johnson
M. Kim Johnson
01:15 Aug-14-2001
I am with Quasar International, Inc. We would be glad to look at your problem. We produce Resonant Inspection (Resonant Ultrasound Spectroscopy) systems for the type of inspection you are presenting. We already inspect welded parts looking for these type effects.

M. Kim Johnson

: Sounds like the geometry and make-up of the part are under tight control. This assumes your flaw tolerance will be within a fairly tight window.
: While I wouldn't rule out UT at this point (assuming the geometry does in fact allow) I'd suggest going to a resonant or multi-frequency test method. Either would be at least as costly up front as the RT you suggest, but both lend themselves well to high-volume production/inspection.
:
: : How would you inspect for a full penetration weld for a 3mm diameter ball welded to a tapered cylinder set. Also a 3 mm disc by 0.8mm thick is inserted into cylinder valve top and is laser welded...Cylinder wall is 0.8mm thick the weld penetration has to be a min of 0.02mm deep to accept....what is a good technique to examine directly off the production line for addaquate weld penetration. I was thinking of real time rt with some sort of optical comparitor. The image would be 10X?
: .
: : Regards M.C. Macke

Gordon E. Smith
Consultant
H.C.Nutting, Co., USA, Joined Nov 1998, 6

Gordon E. Smith

Consultant
H.C.Nutting, Co.,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
02:18 Aug-16-2001
I Mike,

I agree with the resonant test method as being you best bet..Capital Dollar$ up front but low cost per part..

This technology is currently being used on small welded automotive parts and at some time in the past by GE CanNuc (Canadian Nuclear Fuels Group).

See the McMaster NDT handbook for basics..

Or eMail me (Ex GE SuperAbrasives NDT III)
Gordon

marsha deloach
marsha deloach
04:10 Aug-12-2002
Is there a formula for determining depth for weld penetration?
: I am with Quasar International, Inc. We would be glad to look at your problem. We produce Resonant Inspection (Resonant Ultrasound Spectroscopy) systems for the type of inspection you are presenting. We already inspect welded parts looking for these type effects.
: M. Kim Johnson
: : Sounds like the geometry and make-up of the part are under tight control. This assumes your flaw tolerance will be within a fairly tight window.
: : While I wouldn't rule out UT at this point (assuming the geometry does in fact allow) I'd suggest going to a resonant or multi-frequency test method. Either would be at least as costly up front as the RT you suggest, but both lend themselves well to high-volume production/inspection.
: :
: : : How would you inspect for a full penetration weld for a 3mm diameter ball welded to a tapered cylinder set. Also a 3 mm disc by 0.8mm thick is inserted into cylinder valve top and is laser welded...Cylinder wall is 0.8mm thick the weld penetration has to be a min of 0.02mm deep to accept....what is a good technique to examine directly off the production line for addaquate weld penetration. I was thinking of real time rt with some sort of optical comparitor. The image would be 10X?
: : .
: : : Regards M.C. Macke
: : .

Product Spotlight

ISAFE3 Intrinsically Safe Sensor System

ISAFE3 intrinsically safe sensor system of Vallen Systeme is especially targeted at the petrochemica
l - as well as oil and gas transportation industry. The sensor system is designed for permanent monitoring or periodic inspection tasks. Sensors are available for different AE-frequency ranges optimized for corrosion and fatigue crack detection and other applications. The ISAFE 3 sensor system consists of an AE-sensor (model ISAS3) certified according to ATEX/IEC for installation in zone 0, gas group IIC, IP68, 20 to +60 °C, and a signal isolator (model SISO3) certified for installation in zone 2. An ISAS3 sensor can be mounted in atmosphere or submerged, e.g. in water or crude oil. It is supported by mounting tools for temporary (magnets) or permanent (welded) installation. ISAFE3 supports automatic sensor coupling test and can be used with any AE signal processor supporting 28V supply at 90 mA peak, e.g. Vallen Systeme ASIP-2/A.
>

Sci Aps Z-Series Portable Handheld Analysers

The world’s only handheld analyzer that measures carbon content in stainless (yes even L-grades),s
teels, and cast irons. Also accepted for low Si analysis for sulfidic corrosion analysis, and is widely used in the power industry for Cr analysis, for flow accelerated corrosion applications.
>

Ultrasonic Squirter/Gantry System

TecScan’s NDT Ultrasonic Gantry Systems are industrial Squirter scanners designed for non-destru
ctive quality testing and raster scanning of large structures and parts. The Gantry Systems are usually composed of an Industrial Mechanical Scanner and a Control Room with System Workstation.
>

NDTkit RT

NDTkit RT, TESTIA's Digital Radiography software The NDTkit product line software for X-ray analysi
s. NDTkit RT is a software benefiting from the Ultis kernel which is dedicated to radiographic image analysis. It offers a set of tools and filtering processes to assist RT operators in finding relevant flaws.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window