where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Micro weld inspection
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

GE Inspection Technologies GmbH
offers equipment, systems and expertise based on ultrasonics, radiography, eddy curreent and remote visual inspection.

00:03 Aug-14-2001

MIKE MACKE

NDT Inspector
GE Inspection Services,
USA,
Joined Aug 2001
Micro weld inspection

How would you inspect for a full penetration weld for a 3mm diameter ball welded to a tapered cylinder set. Also a 3 mm disc by 0.8mm thick is inserted into cylinder valve top and is laser welded...Cylinder wall is 0.8mm thick the weld penetration has to be a min of 0.02mm deep to accept....what is a good technique to examine directly off the production line for addaquate weld penetration. I was thinking of real time rt with some sort of optical comparitor. The image would be 10X?

Regards M.C. Macke

00:20 Aug-14-2001

Dave Utrata

R & D,
Center for NDE, Iowa State University,
USA,
Joined Feb 2000
Re: Micro weld inspection Sounds like the geometry and make-up of the part are under tight control. This assumes your flaw tolerance will be within a fairly tight window.
While I wouldn't rule out UT at this point (assuming the geometry does in fact allow) I'd suggest going to a resonant or multi-frequency test method. Either would be at least as costly up front as the RT you suggest, but both lend themselves well to high-volume production/inspection.

: How would you inspect for a full penetration weld for a 3mm diameter ball welded to a tapered cylinder set. Also a 3 mm disc by 0.8mm thick is inserted into cylinder valve top and is laser welded...Cylinder wall is 0.8mm thick the weld penetration has to be a min of 0.02mm deep to accept....what is a good technique to examine directly off the production line for addaquate weld penetration. I was thinking of real time rt with some sort of optical comparitor. The image would be 10X?
: Regards M.C. Macke

01:15 Aug-14-2001
M. Kim Johnson
Re: Micro weld inspection I am with Quasar International, Inc. We would be glad to look at your problem. We produce Resonant Inspection (Resonant Ultrasound Spectroscopy) systems for the type of inspection you are presenting. We already inspect welded parts looking for these type effects.

M. Kim Johnson

: Sounds like the geometry and make-up of the part are under tight control. This assumes your flaw tolerance will be within a fairly tight window.
: While I wouldn't rule out UT at this point (assuming the geometry does in fact allow) I'd suggest going to a resonant or multi-frequency test method. Either would be at least as costly up front as the RT you suggest, but both lend themselves well to high-volume production/inspection.
:
: : How would you inspect for a full penetration weld for a 3mm diameter ball welded to a tapered cylinder set. Also a 3 mm disc by 0.8mm thick is inserted into cylinder valve top and is laser welded...Cylinder wall is 0.8mm thick the weld penetration has to be a min of 0.02mm deep to accept....what is a good technique to examine directly off the production line for addaquate weld penetration. I was thinking of real time rt with some sort of optical comparitor. The image would be 10X?
: .
: : Regards M.C. Macke

02:18 Aug-16-2001

Gordon E. Smith

Consultant
H.C.Nutting, Co.,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Micro weld inspection I Mike,

I agree with the resonant test method as being you best bet..Capital Dollar$ up front but low cost per part..

This technology is currently being used on small welded automotive parts and at some time in the past by GE CanNuc (Canadian Nuclear Fuels Group).

See the McMaster NDT handbook for basics..

Or eMail me (Ex GE SuperAbrasives NDT III)
Gordon

04:10 Aug-12-2002
marsha deloach
Re: Micro weld inspection Is there a formula for determining depth for weld penetration?
: I am with Quasar International, Inc. We would be glad to look at your problem. We produce Resonant Inspection (Resonant Ultrasound Spectroscopy) systems for the type of inspection you are presenting. We already inspect welded parts looking for these type effects.
: M. Kim Johnson
: : Sounds like the geometry and make-up of the part are under tight control. This assumes your flaw tolerance will be within a fairly tight window.
: : While I wouldn't rule out UT at this point (assuming the geometry does in fact allow) I'd suggest going to a resonant or multi-frequency test method. Either would be at least as costly up front as the RT you suggest, but both lend themselves well to high-volume production/inspection.
: :
: : : How would you inspect for a full penetration weld for a 3mm diameter ball welded to a tapered cylinder set. Also a 3 mm disc by 0.8mm thick is inserted into cylinder valve top and is laser welded...Cylinder wall is 0.8mm thick the weld penetration has to be a min of 0.02mm deep to accept....what is a good technique to examine directly off the production line for addaquate weld penetration. I was thinking of real time rt with some sort of optical comparitor. The image would be 10X?
: : .
: : : Regards M.C. Macke
: : .

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|