where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

NOVO DR
develops and manufactures cutting edge Portable Digital Radiography X-ray Inspection Systems.

Technical Discussions
MIKE MACKE
NDT Inspector
GE Inspection Services, USA, Joined Aug 2001, 8

MIKE MACKE

NDT Inspector
GE Inspection Services,
USA,
Joined Aug 2001
00:03 Aug-14-2001
Micro weld inspection

How would you inspect for a full penetration weld for a 3mm diameter ball welded to a tapered cylinder set. Also a 3 mm disc by 0.8mm thick is inserted into cylinder valve top and is laser welded...Cylinder wall is 0.8mm thick the weld penetration has to be a min of 0.02mm deep to accept....what is a good technique to examine directly off the production line for addaquate weld penetration. I was thinking of real time rt with some sort of optical comparitor. The image would be 10X?

Regards M.C. Macke

Dave Utrata
R & D,
Center for NDE, Iowa State University, USA, Joined Feb 2000, 37

Dave Utrata

R & D,
Center for NDE, Iowa State University,
USA,
Joined Feb 2000
00:20 Aug-14-2001
Re: Micro weld inspection
Sounds like the geometry and make-up of the part are under tight control. This assumes your flaw tolerance will be within a fairly tight window.
While I wouldn't rule out UT at this point (assuming the geometry does in fact allow) I'd suggest going to a resonant or multi-frequency test method. Either would be at least as costly up front as the RT you suggest, but both lend themselves well to high-volume production/inspection.

: How would you inspect for a full penetration weld for a 3mm diameter ball welded to a tapered cylinder set. Also a 3 mm disc by 0.8mm thick is inserted into cylinder valve top and is laser welded...Cylinder wall is 0.8mm thick the weld penetration has to be a min of 0.02mm deep to accept....what is a good technique to examine directly off the production line for addaquate weld penetration. I was thinking of real time rt with some sort of optical comparitor. The image would be 10X?
: Regards M.C. Macke

M. Kim Johnson
M. Kim Johnson
01:15 Aug-14-2001
I am with Quasar International, Inc. We would be glad to look at your problem. We produce Resonant Inspection (Resonant Ultrasound Spectroscopy) systems for the type of inspection you are presenting. We already inspect welded parts looking for these type effects.

M. Kim Johnson

: Sounds like the geometry and make-up of the part are under tight control. This assumes your flaw tolerance will be within a fairly tight window.
: While I wouldn't rule out UT at this point (assuming the geometry does in fact allow) I'd suggest going to a resonant or multi-frequency test method. Either would be at least as costly up front as the RT you suggest, but both lend themselves well to high-volume production/inspection.
:
: : How would you inspect for a full penetration weld for a 3mm diameter ball welded to a tapered cylinder set. Also a 3 mm disc by 0.8mm thick is inserted into cylinder valve top and is laser welded...Cylinder wall is 0.8mm thick the weld penetration has to be a min of 0.02mm deep to accept....what is a good technique to examine directly off the production line for addaquate weld penetration. I was thinking of real time rt with some sort of optical comparitor. The image would be 10X?
: .
: : Regards M.C. Macke

Gordon E. Smith
Consultant
H.C.Nutting, Co., USA, Joined Nov 1998, 6

Gordon E. Smith

Consultant
H.C.Nutting, Co.,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
02:18 Aug-16-2001
I Mike,

I agree with the resonant test method as being you best bet..Capital Dollar$ up front but low cost per part..

This technology is currently being used on small welded automotive parts and at some time in the past by GE CanNuc (Canadian Nuclear Fuels Group).

See the McMaster NDT handbook for basics..

Or eMail me (Ex GE SuperAbrasives NDT III)
Gordon

marsha deloach
marsha deloach
04:10 Aug-12-2002
Is there a formula for determining depth for weld penetration?
: I am with Quasar International, Inc. We would be glad to look at your problem. We produce Resonant Inspection (Resonant Ultrasound Spectroscopy) systems for the type of inspection you are presenting. We already inspect welded parts looking for these type effects.
: M. Kim Johnson
: : Sounds like the geometry and make-up of the part are under tight control. This assumes your flaw tolerance will be within a fairly tight window.
: : While I wouldn't rule out UT at this point (assuming the geometry does in fact allow) I'd suggest going to a resonant or multi-frequency test method. Either would be at least as costly up front as the RT you suggest, but both lend themselves well to high-volume production/inspection.
: :
: : : How would you inspect for a full penetration weld for a 3mm diameter ball welded to a tapered cylinder set. Also a 3 mm disc by 0.8mm thick is inserted into cylinder valve top and is laser welded...Cylinder wall is 0.8mm thick the weld penetration has to be a min of 0.02mm deep to accept....what is a good technique to examine directly off the production line for addaquate weld penetration. I was thinking of real time rt with some sort of optical comparitor. The image would be 10X?
: : .
: : : Regards M.C. Macke
: : .

Product Spotlight

AIS229 - Multipurpose Real Time System

Latest standard & automatic real time system developed by Balteau. The AIS229 has been designed to
do series inspection in a wide variety of industry. Composed of a shielded cabinet, 5 axis manipulator, x-ray generator and tubehead from 160kV to 225kV, a fl at panel & much more, the AIS229 is most certainly one of the most multipurpose RTR system available on the market.
>

Compact NDT inspection-heads for measurements with active thermography

The compact inspection head is suitable for thermographic ndt tasks. The uncooled infrared camera
is specially developed for NDI-tasks and offers a thermal sensitivity until now known only from thermal imagers with cooled detector. All required components and functions are integrated into the inspection-head. You will only need an ethernet cable to connect the sensor with the evaluation system.
>

EKOSCAN Phased Array

In order to always fit your needs, EKOSCAN can manufacture any type of UT transducer, either convent
ional or Phased Array. As an ISO 9001: 2015 certified company, EKOSCAN is extremely careful as far a material selection and manufacturing processes are concerned. Our probes guarantee our customers the benefits of latest innovations regarding piezo-composite, backing, impedance adaptation layer, etc. Specific probes for hostile environment: high temperature, high pressure, corrosive environment,etc. Specific probes designed to fit your specific application: optimization of every parameter to guarantee you the best detection.
>

High Resolution Industrial CT System for Small/Medium Size Parts Inspection

The YXLON FF35 CT computed tomography system is designed to achieve extremely precise inspection res
ults for a wide range of applications. Available in a single or dual tube configuration, it is perfect for very small to medium size parts inspection in the automotive, electronics, aviation, and material science industries.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window