where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Zawada NDT
Suppliers of instruments to test steel wire ropes in-situ, using magnetic, non-destructive method.
Career Discussions
aqeel ahmed
aqeel ahmed
09:20 Feb-04-2010
Flaw Acceptence creteria 2235-9

Hi Guys,

I hope u can feel my pain
May b my question looks very basic but it is very important.
I m designing an application that will automatically draw acceptance criteria with indication but i am unable to calculate the values of a/t because i don't know 'A' and 'T' and if i want to calculate a/t on aspect ratio of(0.025) while my thickness lies in range 25<=t<=64. what should i do.

thanks for helping me in advance

best regards,

Aqeel

junho
NDT Inspector,
KOREA Material INSPECTION, South Korea, Joined Oct 2009, 21

junho

NDT Inspector,
KOREA Material INSPECTION,
South Korea,
Joined Oct 2009
09:22 Feb-08-2010
Re: Flaw Acceptence creteria 2235-9
In Reply to aqeel ahmed at 09:20 Feb-04-2010 (Opening).

t = the thickness of the weld excluding any allowable reinforcement.
For a buttweld joining two members having different thickness
at the weld, t is the thinner of these two thicknesses. If a
full penetration weld includes a fillet weld, the thickness of the
throat of the fillet weld shall be included in t.

a = The depth of the flaw shall be drawn normal
to the inside pressure retaining surface and shall be
denoted as “a” for a surface flaw or “2a” for a subsurface
flaw

aspect ratio = a / l is'n it ???

Mathew Alexander
NDT Inspector, ASNT NDT Level III
PETROCHEM-ITSS, Saudi Arabia, Joined Aug 2009, 8

Mathew Alexander

NDT Inspector, ASNT NDT Level III
PETROCHEM-ITSS,
Saudi Arabia,
Joined Aug 2009
10:55 Feb-08-2010
In Reply to junho at 09:22 Feb-08-2010 .

Dear friends,

The same questions I asked few months back through this forum. But nobody responded. We all claim that we are NDT experts but the there are several areas we are lacking the knowledge.

Let us see any body answer your question

Regards

Mathew

Ed Ginzel
R & D, -
Materials Research Institute, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 1274

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
13:54 Feb-08-2010
In Reply to Mathew Alexander at 10:55 Feb-08-2010 .

In June 2009 this same line of discussion was seen on the forum. Bill Blanshan posted a link to his website where he has provided a free download to a graphical programme that solves the equations, including the interpolated region of the midrange. (use the NDT.net search box to find Blanshan and 2235)
In that series of postings we explained some of the details. The terms "a" and "t" are normal engineering terms used for the flaw height and thickness and "l" is the flaw length. Flaw height "a" would apply for surface flaws and for subsurface flaws "a" becomes half the flaw height. So for surface flaws the aspect ratio a/l is the flaw height over the flaw length and for the subsurface flaws the aspect ratio is half the flaw height over the flaw length. (I assembled a simple Excel version of this but Bill's software is a bit more polished...I am sure others have made similare plotting programmes).

Product Spotlight

Navic - Steerable Modular Automated Scanner

The Navic is a modular, motorized, steerable scanner designed to carry multiple attachments used
in various scanning and inspection applications. The Navic is capable of weld scanning (girth welds and long seam welds), automated corrosion mapping, and tank scanning.
>

Wireless TOFD scanner

Quick, accurate and highly reproducible welds testing. The System operates wirelessly and is compat
ible with any type of Windows based Laptop, Desktop or Tablet.
>

IntraPhase Athena Phased Array System

The Athena Phased Array system, manufactured by WesDyne NDE Products & Technology, consists of a pha
sed array acquisition system and PC running IntraSpect software. A PC is used to perform acquisition, analysis and storage of the data. System hardware is capable of operating up to four data sets with any combination of phased array or conventional UT probes. NOW AVAILABLE IN 64-64 CONFIGURATION.
>

MUSE Mobile Ultrasonic Equipment

The MUSE, a portable ultrasonic imaging system, was developed for in-field inspections of light-weig
ht structures. The MUSE consists of a motor-driven manipulator, a water circulation system for the acoustic coupling and a portable ultrasonic flaw detector (USPC 3010). The MUSE provides images of internal defects (A-, B-,C- and D-scan).
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window