where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net >
"Transparent access" or "surveillance" ??
Articles & News

23:01 Feb-10-2010

David Mackintosh

Engineering,
Acuren Group Inc.,
Canada,
Joined Feb 2011
"Transparent access" or "surveillance" ??

About the announcement that "NDT.net makes content access transparent"
[http://www.ndt.net/search/docs.php3?id=8553&content=1]

This function makes public all IP addresses that visited each article or stand. This is a violation of privacy. I should be able to read an article or visit a stand without a vendor or anyone else knowing about it.

Counting visitors is one thing, but listing them publicly is another matter altogether.

If you owned a retail store, would you publish names and addresses of everyone who entered to look around?

Or, would you go to a library if they posted names of visitors and what books they looked at?

Please remove this intrusive function.

David Mackintosh

08:18 Feb-11-2010

Rolf

Director, Editor, Publisher, Internet, PHP MySQL
NDT.net,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: "Transparent access" or "surveillance" ?? In Reply to David Mackintosh at 23:01 Feb-10-2010 (Opening).

David,

I think you overweight the information that someone can get from the IP address. Usually an IP address tells you just something about the network or country someone came from.
Only in a few cases the organization can be recognized but almost never the person behind this access computer. You are right that we have to watch the very rare cases. I will remove the information of IP address for the public. I will try to publish just the information from what country came the access.

Rolf

17:02 Feb-11-2010

David Mackintosh

Engineering,
Acuren Group Inc.,
Canada,
Joined Feb 2011
Re: "Transparent access" or "surveillance" ?? In Reply to Rolf at 08:18 Feb-11-2010 .

Rolf:
Thank you, yes I did come on a little strong. I forgot that this is one of the few websites that actually heeds feedback! With all the spyware and tracking cookies around, it felt that ndt.net was just one more site that I would have to be cautious of. Anyway, perhaps others will post opinions before you actually disable the function.
Regards,
David

17:28 Feb-11-2010

Rolf

NDT.net,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: "Transparent access" or "surveillance" ?? In Reply to David Mackintosh at 17:02 Feb-11-2010 .

Yes David, there are other things you mentioned that could violate privacy much more than the IP Address. The IP is just a little thing in that new evaluation. To show the IP gives more evidence that we are doing not any manipulation of the data to boost views. Also by visible IP one can see that the view counts are not generated by crawlers. The country of the IP gives a little bit more information for authors or exhibitors. As I mentioned already we will investigate how to display the country instead of the full IP address.

Rolf

21:10 Feb-14-2010

Rolf

NDT.net,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: "Transparent access" or "surveillance" ?? In Reply to Rolf at 17:28 Feb-11-2010 .

We could successfully replace the display of IP address by the IP Geo information country. You may try it here: http://www.ndt.net/search/stat/stat.php

Rolf

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|