where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions
Career Discussions >
Beginners advice / guidance needed
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Sonatest Ltd
From our three distinct business centres in the UK, USA and CANADA, Sonatest design and produce a leading range of high performance ultrasonic NDT equipment and accessories.

17:21 Feb-15-2010
P Coverdale
Beginners advice / guidance needed

All,
Firstly thank you for taken the time out to read my message, I realise after reading through the Forum that their are allot of similar posts and I apologise if this requires repeating information but I feel I need bespoke feedback for my situation.

My father, before he passed, was an NDT inspector; although I was too young to know the full detail of the projects he worked on I feel it’s a calling to me to follow his footsteps.
I am 24, at present I am contracting at Corus in the North East of England as a Technical Clerk. I have built up a commercial awareness and absorbed knowledge from the Steel industry, which I am grateful for the experience but I need a more rewarding role. I have gained my NEBOSH which I had hope would help me progress and I attend any in-house training schemes I can.

My company are looking to fund me through University to complete a Quantity Surveying course although this is not certain.

With my childhood I have always been fascinated with Science, carrying out experiments, investigations etc and learning more about NDT only adds fuel to my fire to become qualified.

I have started read literature with regards to NDT to try and gain knowledge but I feel I am in the same boat as many that I am more than willing to self fund through courses etc but what are my realistic chances of succeeding with no prior experience?
I am trying to rectify this and have been emailing any company possible even if no trainee positions are available.

I have even asked if I could shadow or labour free of charge but as of yet I have received limited response.

My question really is are companies willing to take people on who have completed PT, MPI course but have no experience?

If anyone can provide any feedback, links or companies who may be interested, I would be more than grateful.

Also; a long shot but it is a small world, if anyone knew or worked with my father David Coverdale I would be very interested to hear from you.

Thanks and Regards

Phil

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|