where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Canadian Institute for NDE
We are specialized in training for Radiography, Ultrasonics, Magnetic Particle, Liquid Penetrant, Eddy Current and emerging NDT technologies.
Career Discussions
Confused
Confused
13:28 Feb-17-2010
Ultrasonic testing grades

Can anyone tell me how the grading works in UT?

eg, What is a 3.1? Is that just a level one? so what would a 3.2 be? or a 3.7 etc etc

anjafo79
NDT Inspector
Norway, Joined Aug 2009, 204

anjafo79

NDT Inspector
Norway,
Joined Aug 2009
17:34 Feb-17-2010
Re: Ultrasonic testing grades
In Reply to Confused at 13:28 Feb-17-2010 (Opening).

i goes something like this:
3.1 is for plate butt welds
3.2 is for pipe butt welds
3.7 for t-joints
3.8 for nozzles

(that may be a little wrong but thats the concept)

when doing the exam you have to do test pieces of each type so you can fail 3.8 but still pass 3.1 meaning you can test plate bw's but not nozzles etc

confused
confused
00:31 Feb-20-2010
In Reply to anjafo79 at 17:34 Feb-17-2010 .

Thanks..I recently passed my level 2, which i knew was plate and pipe...

so i guess if i ever do my level 3 it will be testing t-joints and nozzles?

anjafo79
NDT Inspector
Norway, Joined Aug 2009, 204

anjafo79

NDT Inspector
Norway,
Joined Aug 2009
09:59 Feb-20-2010
In Reply to confused at 00:31 Feb-20-2010 .

not quite. level III is a step up.

3.1, 3.2, 3.7 & 3.8 are all level II grades. You also get Level II grades for testing cast and wrought products.

If you pass 3.8 you will still be a level II but just cleared to test more weld configurations.

less confused
less confused
16:09 Feb-23-2010
In Reply to anjafo79 at 09:59 Feb-20-2010 .

Ok thanks for your replies. Appreciated. Time to braoden my experience!!

Product Spotlight

NEW Wheel Type Phased Array Probe

DOPPLER NEW Wheel Type Phased Array Probe, more stable, new tyre makes lesser acoustic attenuation
, much lighter makes easier to handle, more slim size, magnetic and mechanical encoder optional etc...more
>

XRHRobotStar

In high volume industries like automotive the requirement for a hundred percent X-ray inspection c
reates a bottleneck in the production. The XRHRobotStar is a fully Automated Defect Recognition (ADR) capable robot-system that allows an ultra-fast in-line inspection.
>

Ultrasonic Squirter/Gantry System

TecScan’s NDT Ultrasonic Gantry Systems are industrial Squirter scanners designed for non-destru
ctive quality testing and raster scanning of large structures and parts. The Gantry Systems are usually composed of an Industrial Mechanical Scanner and a Control Room with System Workstation.
>

MIZ®-21C: Truly Affordable Eddy Current Handheld with Surface Array Capability

Introducing MIZ-21C, the first truly affordable handheld eddy current instrument with surface array
capabilities. MIZ-21C can deliver fast, accurate inspections in demanding NDT applications including aerospace, oil and gas, manufacturing, and power generation. The surface array solution can reduce inspection time by up to 95% compared to traditional handheld pencil probes. The ergonomic design, long battery life, and intuitive touchscreen mean you can inspect more areas faster than ever without fatigue.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window