where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Pipe thickness and pitting
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

IMG ULTRASUONI SRL
Ultrasonic transducers for industrial applications (NDT) and medical (Doppler effect). Probes, Ultrasonic instruments, Special systems for NDT.

03:50 Mar-17-2010
Mr Burton
Pipe thickness and pitting

I would like to seek information about measuring wall thickness and pitting for a 350mm diameter, 20mm wall thickness, probably about 12mm now in places. Used for iron ore slurry.

09:23 Mar-17-2010

Jon Wallis

NDT Inspector, -
Netherlands,
Joined Feb 2010
Re: Pipe thickness and pitting In Reply to Mr Burton at 03:50 Mar-17-2010 (Opening).

The first line of attack would be ultrasonic wall thickness measurement. To carry out wall thickness measurements with ultrasonics the pipe would have to be comfortably accessible and 'bare metal' i.e. free of coating, insulation, rust etc. Typically, measurements can be made - assuming we are talking of carbon steel - with an accuracy of 0,2 mm or so in the field. Oviously an asessment of the situation on site would be required.

If the line is insulated, an alternative method of measurement, without removing the insulation, might be Incotest. Incotest is a stand-off measurement system which can 'look' through insulation and assess the remaining wall thickness compared to one point where the insulation has been removed and a comparision is made.

You mention pitting. I wonder, considering the medium in the line (iron ore slurry), if there really is a problem with pitting. I tend to think that the problem would be erosion. However, if pitting is present and this is local loss of wall thickness rather than needle pitting, this should be possible to detect.

Needle pitting, which is usually a problem with exotic steel sorts, is very difficult to detect with either of the above methods (read impossible). Radiography may work.

10:33 Mar-17-2010

Aaron Greenbank

Sales
Innospection,
United Kingdom,
Joined Jan 2010
Re: Pipe thickness and pitting In Reply to Mr Burton at 03:50 Mar-17-2010 (Opening).

Dear Sir,

Another method that you may wish to consider is SLOFEC, this is an eddy current based technique which uses magnetic saturation to aid the induction of eddy currents into the specimen. This is an excellen tmethod for fast screening for corrosion typical of what you have described.

13:59 Mar-17-2010

Tom Nelligan

Engineering,
retired,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998

We have a general application note on ultrasonic corrosion gaging that may be of interest if you're new to the subject:

http://www.olympus-ims.com/en/ndt-application/183-id.209715222.html

14:11 Mar-17-2010

Rich Roberts

Engineering, Executive Managment
Quest Integrity Group,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998

You may want to consider applying an Ultrasonic (UT) based Intellingent Pig technology. Even if the line is not designed to be inspected by way of intelligent pigs, there are pigs which are capable of running in these lines. Some Ultrasonic based intelligent pigs will provide +100% overlapping coverage to ensure the entire surface is inspected. Detecting and quantifying Corrosion, Pitting, Erosion along with any deformation (i.e. Denting, Ovality, Bulging, etc.) can be accomplished with one pass of the intelligent pig tool.

17:08 Mar-18-2010

Jim Kovarik

Engineering
Lixi, Inc.,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998

You may also want to consider the Lixi Profiler if the line will be or can be evacuated.

08:50 Mar-31-2010
Zach McCann

Hello Mr Burton following on from the information Aaron sent you I represent Innospection here in Australia. I would be happy to discuss this if you woudl care to drop me an e-mail.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|